Malta

I have been to Malta 3 times, we were there last summer for 2 weeks, 1 week at Golden Bay which is close to Melliliah and 2nd week at St Julian's. We are hoping to go again this year as there is so much we still want to see/do.

Some people don't realise that Malta is such a small Island, smaller in area than the Isle of Wight. This makes everywhere within easy reach.

They have really nailed the Covid situation and we're very strict on the wearing of masks in enclosed areas. The only person I saw not adhering to the rules was a British Bloke who refused access to a boat trip because he wouldn't put one on. All the restaraunts bars and shops were just as busy as pre

Covid

Melliliah is nice little town, the main town is on the top of a steep hill and the beaches and some of the hotels are a long haul down in a bay below.

Tips

The only thing I wouldn't do is hire a car, the traffic around Valletta and Sliema is Horrendous

sadly I think the SWFC supporters bar in St Paul's has closed down. Either that or we couldn't find it this time.

Do,s

Mdina, the walled city in the centre of the Island is stunning, it's like  a city out of game of thrones.

Valletta The old town is very nice, we caught a ferry from Sliema and followed the town walls round and had a great day. Some fantastic history.

Valletta 5 harbours boat tour superb.

There are lots of Italian restaraunts we found the food in these very good, most are owned by Sicilians.

They have a great regular bus service, it costs 3 Euros for a 3 hour ticket, so say for instance you were going to Mdina from Melliliah you could catch the bus from Melliliah to St Paul's then St Paul's to Mdina with one ticket. Also the hop on off open top buses are good.

A few photos from last year. Valletta, Melliliah air raid shelters, Restaraunt we liked in Mellilaha ( opposite the Solano hotel) and the lovely Santo Tomas Marina in St Julian's. ( Great for lunch.)

20210926_151104.jpg

20210922_181335.jpg

20210922_191517.jpg

20210924_160646.jpg

1 hour ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Some people don't realise that Malta is such a small Island, smaller in area than the Isle of Wight. This makes everywhere within easy reach.

I was surprised how densely populated Malta is. The Greater Valetta area is a huge sprawl which covers about one third of the island.

It's been a few years since I was last there, but you could buy passes for unlimited bus travel, and Malta has a great and easy to use bus network (not sure if they still have the colourful owner operated buses). There are bus interchanges in Valetta and Bugibba which cover most points on the island.

1 hour ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Do,s

Mdina, the walled city in the centre of the Island is stunning, it's like  a city out of game of thrones.

Valletta The old town is very nice, we caught a ferry from Sliema and followed the town walls round and had a great day. Some fantastic history.

Don't overlook Gozo. It's a short (30 min) ferry crossing with bus connections at each end. Victoria is a pleasant town with a stunning castle.

1 hour ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I was surprised how densely populated Malta is. The Greater Valetta area is a huge sprawl which covers about one third of the island.

It's been a few years since I was last there, but you could buy passes for unlimited bus travel, and Malta has a great and easy to use bus network (not sure if they still have the colourful owner operated buses). There are bus interchanges in Valetta and Bugibba which cover most points on the island.

Don't overlook Gozo. It's a short (30 min) ferry crossing with bus connections at each end. Victoria is a pleasant town with a stunning castle.

Yeah Gozo was on our to do list and one of the reasons we want to go back.

I thought we would be able to catch a boat from Sliema but no luck. I think the ferrys leave from both Valletta and somewhere near Melliliha. Need to sort that out before we go again.

13 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Yeah Gozo was on our to do list and one of the reasons we want to go back.

I thought we would be able to catch a boat from Sliema but no luck. I think the ferrys leave from both Valletta and somewhere near Melliliha. Need to sort that out before we go again.

Cirkewwa, far North of the island. As you say, close to Mellilha Bay.

image.png.230c90e61c7ac9f9a0224643a1c2bbf8.png

Buses run right to the front door of the ferry terminal.

You may be able to get a boat from the South of the island, but I guess it would take longer.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2022 at 15:47, A E Neuman NYowl said:

I have been to Malta 3 times, we were there last summer for 2 weeks, 1 week at Golden Bay which is close to Melliliah and 2nd week at St Julian's. We are hoping to go again this year as there is so much we still want to see/do.

They have really nailed the Covid situation and we're very strict on the wearing of masks in enclosed areas. The only person I saw not adhering to the rules was a British Bloke who refused access to a boat trip because he wouldn't put one on. All the restaraunts bars and shops were just as busy as pre

Covid

Melliliah is nice little town, the main town is on the top of a steep hill and the beaches and some of the hotels are a long haul down in a bay below.

Tips

The only thing I wouldn't do is hire a car, the traffic around Valletta and Sliema is Horrendous

sadly I think the SWFC supporters bar in St Paul's has closed down. Either that or we couldn't find it this time.

Do,s

There are lots of Italian restaraunts we found the food in these very good, most are owned by Sicilians.

They have a great regular bus service, it costs 3 Euros for a 3 hour ticket, so say for instance you were going to Mdina from Melliliah you could catch the bus from Melliliah to St Paul's then St Paul's to Mdina with one ticket. Also the hop on off open top buses are good.

A few photos from last year. Valletta, Melliliah air raid shelters, Restaraunt we liked in Mellilaha ( opposite the Solano hotel) and the lovely Santo Tomas Marina in St Julian's. ( Great for lunch.)

20210926_151104.jpg

20210922_181335.jpg

20210922_191517.jpg

20210924_160646.jpg

Thanks mate - some good advice 

Funny you mentioned Mdina, when I went in ‘81 (I was 13) we stoooed in Rabat which is next to Mdina. It was July and they have a festival - it was brilliant. Street racing (running) in the evenings, firework displays. Lovely place. We were there when Charles and Di married and the whole place was buzzing 

• Like 1