there are no pubs within 30 mins of the ground and 1 whats within walking distance isnt allowed to allow away supporters in for higher profile games and the club sells no alcohol for some high profile games. seen that we have had our allocation cut im pretty sure that means no beer for weds support , thats off the  football grounds guide.  watching weds without beer oh dear . 

1 hour ago, morganowl said:

there are no pubs within 30 mins of the ground and 1 whats within walking distance isnt allowed to allow away supporters in for higher profile games and the club sells no alcohol for some high profile games. seen that we have had our allocation cut im pretty sure that means no beer for weds support , thats off the  football grounds guide.  watching weds without beer oh dear . 

suspect Oxford taxi firms will earn their corn on the 22nd 

3 hours ago, morganowl said:

3 hours ago, morganowl said:

Well a lot of fans me included will have been potting from about 10 in the morning so no beer in the ground is no big deal..and as for no pubs near the ground...our coach will be stopping just outside Oxford..and those goin on the train will drink in the centre and jump in a taxi...you seem to be trying to put a dampener on proceedings

Got in there bang on 1pm, about 100 seats left. By the time I'd paid there were only 11 left. 

Now need to work out how to get there, it looks a right pain in the arse to get to from the station, ground is miles away. Could slum it on the coach but Oxford itself is supposed to be quite nice and you miss that if you go straight to the ground. 

6 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Got in there bang on 1pm, about 100 seats left. By the time I'd paid there were only 11 left. 

Now need to work out how to get there, it looks a right pain in the arse to get to from the station, ground is miles away. Could slum it on the coach but Oxford itself is supposed to be quite nice and you miss that if you go straight to the ground. 

My train gets in about 10. Gonna have a few hours in Oxford then try and jump in a taxi with others if there’s room. 

1 minute ago, ANDY said:

My train gets in about 10. Gonna have a few hours in Oxford then try and jump in a taxi with others if there’s room. 

Getting there isn't too bad, easy enough to get a bus or taxi to the ground from the centre. Problem is getting back afterwards, not so easy to get a taxi when the ground's out in the sticks and there are hundreds of people looking for one and you have the added pressure of a departing train time getting ever closer! 

On 08/01/2022 at 17:34, Hyde2005 said:

A lot ain't going to this Inc me n my lot . Its a hassle to get to. Its nearly 5 miles from train station no pubs near ground . I think it will go to 4th or 5th set of sales a lot of us are disillusioned  travelling 2-3-4-5 hours and let down so often. 

😂🙈

28 minutes ago, alanharper said:

The Wednesdayite coach is planning on stopping at Brackley for an hour and a half on the way down and that looks like a nice town for a wander around. No booze on the coach but I'm sure there are one or two decent places in Brackley for a pint or two (although I'm guessing at a price!). Then to the ground for about 2pm and straight back to Hillsborough afterwards. 

22 minutes ago, TheGreatNebber said:

The Wednesdayite coach is planning on stopping at Brackley for an hour and a half on the way down and that looks like a nice town for a wander around. No booze on the coach but I'm sure there are one or two decent places in Brackley for a pint or two (although I'm guessing at a price!). Then to the ground for about 2pm and straight back to Hillsborough afterwards. 

Saw that - I'd have been on it if it actually stopped in Oxford for a couple of hours before the game instead of some random town!

Plus you have to sit through the mind numbing tedium of football bingo... 

16 hours ago, The coach said:

Well a lot of fans me included will have been potting from about 10 in the morning so no beer in the ground is no big deal..and as for no pubs near the ground...our coach will be stopping just outside Oxford..and those goin on the train will drink in the centre and jump in a taxi...you seem to be trying to put a dampener on proceedings

no just pre warning the few what dont know . these days though most of us are wised up though. 

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Saw that - I'd have been on it if it actually stopped in Oxford for a couple of hours before the game instead of some random town!

Plus you have to sit through the mind numbing tedium of football bingo... 

I'm interested in what the citizens of Brackley will make to a coachload of Wednesday fans descending that's for sure. Strikes me more as an antiques and cream tea type of town. 

The less said about bingo the better. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Getting there isn't too bad, easy enough to get a bus or taxi to the ground from the centre. Problem is getting back afterwards, not so easy to get a taxi when the ground's out in the sticks and there are hundreds of people looking for one and you have the added pressure of a departing train time getting ever closer! 

yer thats this issue after the game ,cant see a hope of getting  a taxi , there are buses but knowing where they leave from might be an issue , ive got good walking legs and walked by to shrewsbury and cheltenham 2- 2.5 miles but 4.7miles no way im not in training for some mini marathon lol 

21 hours ago, morganowl said:

yer thats this issue after the game ,cant see a hope of getting  a taxi , there are buses but knowing where they leave from might be an issue , ive got good walking legs and walked by to shrewsbury and cheltenham 2- 2.5 miles but 4.7miles no way im not in training for some mini marathon lol 

Yes, I did "the Cheltenham walk" as well! And this is twice as far, so, er, nope!  Decided to slum it on the coach for this one, but will miss out on actually seeing Oxford which is a shame.

Probably be better when they eventually build their new ground which again looks to be way out of the town but on the northern side this time and there's at least a local train station nearby.

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

Yes, I did "the Cheltenham walk" as well! And this is twice as far, so, er, nope!  Decided to slum it on the coach for this one, but will miss out on actually seeing Oxford which is a shame.

Probably be better when they eventually build their new ground which again looks to be way out of the town but on the northern side this time and there's at least a local train station nearby.

there swapping grounds again? only had this 20 years 

6 minutes ago, morganowl said:

there swapping grounds again? only had this 20 years 

They don't own the ground, their former owner does and they pay rent (sound familiar?!).

Looking to move to a new ground at the opposite end of the city in a few years time, still miles from the centre but at least served by a local rail line.

• Like 1

a warning to those going by train to oxford is there has already been cancellations , got an email stating the journey there part of the way is cancelled this thats for the train to birmingham . can see this been like the film planes trains and autos without the plane getting there. think its the 755am  train whats cancelled upto now 

got tickets in the home end.

if you go by train then taxi is best option to the Stadium and maybe book a return trip at the same time.

there is a Frankie & Bennies burger bar directly next to Stadium for a burger & beer, but probably best to book in advance.