Garry Monk on Talksport

It is telling that no one has touched him since he left us, he has failed to deliver at every club he has managed, he has fallen out with senior players and left every club in a worse position with players that are not good enough.

a truly useless manager. 

If we had got the other Gary from Birmingham (Rowett) we would now be a league one team.

• Like 2

Even not considering Wednesday, the quote would be laughable considering the debacle Monk left behind him at Birmingham with accusations of improper use of agents.

And having inherited a squad with the likes of Bamford, Adama Traore, Downing, Ben Gibson, etc. plus having parachute payments behind him and a £27 million in transfer fees, being sacked from Middlesbrough 6 months later in 9th an't be considered a roaring success, considering the same amount of stick Darren Moore gets from people on here for being 4th in similar circumstances with West Brom.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hughdowd said:

Got the wrong Gary… should have got Gary Rowett…he was available the same time ….. Another almighty boll#ck from our chairman

And most probably Rowett would have struggled to swim against the tide created by our chairman, he'd have been sacked, and we'd be saying we should have gone for Monk instead.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

And most probably Rowett would have struggled to swim against the tide created by our chairman, he'd have been sacked, and we'd be saying we should have gone for Monk instead.

Yeah probably but rowett wanted the job ..far better manager than monk … but end of the day Chansiris no idea anyway

2 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Yeah probably but rowett wanted the job ..far better manager than monk … but end of the day Chansiris no idea anyway

I honestly genuinely 100% definitely believe now that it just doesn’t make any difference who the manager is at this football club anymore 

• Like 5

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I honestly genuinely 100% definitely believe now that it just doesn’t make any difference who the manager is at this football club anymore 

Exactly…..No -one will ever succeed while we have a chairman who knows nothing about football…….

• Like 1

Rowett would have done similar to Monk in my opinion. Both have done OK in the Championship with other clubs and not so well with others.

Monk had a sh*t situation to deal with, fanbase had just about given up after Bruce left. Clearly off the field issues affected us massively despite a good start.

Would he have kept us up? Maybe, it's hard to say but personally I think you can only lay so much of the blame on Monk. He made mistakes but when players aren't being paid, points deduction for something that happened ages before he arrived, and a squad that had just come to the end of it's time together as a whole you can only ever do so much.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Even Pep would struggle under this chairman.

15 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Incorrect

Monk was on track statistically to keep us up (JUST) despite players not getting paid, embargoes etc etc

We got rid

We got relegated

True.

I hadn’t realised that.

I suppose it’s also reasonable to believe that after beating Bournemouth and drawing at Millwall he was possibly turning a corner. At least we’d probably have done better than the 3 points we took in Tone’s first 8 games.