Sheffield to Manchester / Manchester to Sheffield

So yesterday I travelled back over from Manchester to Sheffield via Woodhead Pass

I quite enjoy the drive and the scenery is great for most of it. I put cruise control on and just cruise along from start to finish

However yesterday a tanker pulled out just before Woodhead Pass started and then travelled 30mph the entire way

Took aaaaaaaages

I don't like doing the snake pass as it's just too much effort to drive, change gears all the time, steer etc

But why - when we can put a man on the moon and a spaceship to mars - can't we just construct one straight tunnel from MCR to Sheffield with three lanes either way so we can all just steam 70mph straight from Wadsley to Manchester City Centre?

It would take me like 20 minutes/ half an hour to get there and it would mean I could go and have some Korean Chicken from there for dinner

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

40 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So yesterday I travelled back over from Manchester to Sheffield via Woodhead Pass

I quite enjoy the drive and the scenery is great for most of it. I put cruise control on and just cruise along from start to finish

However yesterday a tanker pulled out just before Woodhead Pass started and then travelled 30mph the entire way

Took aaaaaaaages

I don't like doing the snake pass as it's just too much effort to drive, change gears all the time, steer etc

But why - when we can put a man on the moon and a spaceship to mars - can't we just construct one straight tunnel from MCR to Sheffield with three lanes either way so we can all just steam 70mph straight from Wadsley to Manchester City Centre?

It would take me like 20 minutes/ half an hour to get there and it would mean I could go and have some Korean Chicken from there for dinner

I hate that drive, it is beautiful like you say, but the roads to Manchester need something doing to them for sure. The train service is terrible too. 

There’s a place in Kommune in Sheffield city centre that do some nice Korean chicken BTW 

• Love 1

Just now, edinburghowl said:

I hate that drive, it is beautiful like you say, but the roads to Manchester need something doing to them for sure. The train service is terrible too.  

Oh hell yeah - that train journey is the absolute worse possible

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, edinburghowl said:

There’s a place in Kommune in Sheffield city centre that do some nice Korean chicken BTW 

I need to try that

Every time I go there I get sucked into the loaded fries from the Indian!

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Oh hell yeah - that train journey is the absolute worse possible

I used to to it semi regular when doing a wee bit of work in Stockport. It was the worst. You’d never get a seat and sometimes you couldn’t even get on the train because it was too packed!

9/10 when you look at your rear view mirror it's absolutely glorious in Sheffield and pitch black ahead.

The amount of times I've considered swerving in front of a wagon is absurd.

45 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

we have a train tunnel not being used, probably cost too much..  but that would be ideal.

Woodhead? It's full of national grid cabling now I think.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I used to to it semi regular when doing a wee bit of work in Stockport. It was the worst. You’d never get a seat and sometimes you couldn’t even get on the train because it was too packed!

Yeah that's happened to me every single time I've got back to Manchester Airport and got the train from there to Sheffield after a long flight home from holiday with loads of bags/luggage and had to stand all the way home

So gutted every time it happens

Owlstalk Shop

I always found the train journey from Sheffield to Manchester really enjoyable, pass along the Hope Valley, Kinder Scout, Mam Tor.

But yes the service is sometimes terrible and if its a Saturday and pissed up footy fans its can be a bit of bind. 

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ah yeah definitely not tried that but will do

It'll have to go some to beat Manchester's Korean Chicken places tho!

Where do you go in Manchester? I’ll need to try them out

19 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Where do you go in Manchester? I’ll need to try them out

Screenshot 2022-01-06 at 13.13.24.png

Chimaek is the one for me

It's on Hulme Street tucked away

And it's actual genuine Korean chicken instead of some hipsters putting some korean sauce on chicken and claiming it's the real deal

lol

Genuinely soooooo good I drive over for some every now and again

Manchester is king for food

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Took aaaaaaaages

You advocating HS 3???lol

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

why -  - can't we just construct one straight tunnel from MCR to Sheffield

Coz we don't want the drugs and guns getting here quicker?

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.