The Elephant in the Room

Shrewsbury had a very narrow pitch and along with a solid full back that seemed to nullify Corbeanu in the first half especially as he was trying to use space that wasn't there. Given the lack of threat from the other wing-back position or through the centre their defenders didn't have much to worry about and when coming inside there were plenty of bodies to deal with him. He improved (albeit it was harder to see from the away end) when he switched sides 2nd half and there was more of a threat from the other side of the pitch so defenders had more to concern them.

Shodipo got something like 10 goals and 10 assists last season at this level and Corbeanu has looked much the more dangerous threat so just maybe it's the tactics / formation that are at fault. 

• Like 1

One of the only players in the squad who actually puts you on the edge of the seat.

Currently being played out of position, in a system that doesn’t suit him. Didn’t see the last game but every time I’ve watched him he’s been doubled up on by the opposition. Easy for them to do so too, as he’s the only player in the squad prepared to run at anyone. He’s constantly isolated and limited with options by the lack of runners/movement in the side. 

It’s quiet clear who the problem is and its not Corbeanu. 

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen such a fast player slow down the play so much when they dribble, he runs like Forestieri, dribbles like Chris Sedgwick!

He needs to quit with the stepovers they hardly work, knock the ball past and run the fullback, simple!

He flatters to deceive. Sometimes it seems his only aim is to cut in and shoot, regardless which side he plays but then others he seems to dally on the ball like he can’t decide what to do. He isn’t as quick as I thought either once I saw him up against Shrews FB the other day. 

Saying that, these are the reasons he isn’t in Wolves squad. He’s raw, needs educating on how to play and make decisions. There is talent there, but it is hit and miss. Playing as a WB won’t have helped, but with the way the game is evolving, players are expected to be able to play various poistions, so he may have to get used to it. Shame is hasn’t worked as it looks like he’s off, but TBH I won’t lose much sleep over it. 

3 hours ago, blueandwhitematt said:

Are we trying to say Corbeanu isn’t quick enough?! That 3/4 week spell where we played him and he ran at defenders, I remember they struggled with him a lot. I certainly haven’t thought he was slow - although perhaps he looked a bit sluggish against Shrewsbury, but so did everyone else out there. 

And again, our one really positive spell this season coincided with us starting him and actually getting the ball to him regularly. He’s arguably our only exciting player in an attacking sense, and we don’t want to try and use that?! 

Corbeanu has pace enough to beat most defenders in this league.

JJ had pace enough to run past  defenders in most leagues. It was his inconsistent end product that let him down and prevented him playing at a higher level.
Meggo used to play him one wing first half and switch hims for the second. It wasn’t tactical as much as being able to shout at him from close range from the technical area to keep him at it.