"There is no one else out there though"

1 hour ago, jangoSWFC said:

I think we should do what man united have done. Give it to Thompson/bullen to the end of the season while searching for the perfect appointment. If 6 months of searching for a manager doesn’t provide a good candidate then I don’t know what will.

Fact that Bullen failed twice and as good as admitted he was out of his depth not dampening your spirits at all ?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nut said:

If I was the chairman of a football club, I'd make it my business to get to know as many people as possible in the game - players, ex players, coaches, managers, agents. I'd build relationships and know as much as possible about anyone who was a potential future manager and always have someone lined up, preferably someone who isn't on the merry go round of failed managers. 

He should get to know some of the top sports journalist because i believe they know as much of whats going on behind the scenes than anyone, managers, trainers, agents, the lot.

5 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

It's not flawed logic. If we sack him and appoint someone with a proven record of success then fine. 

It's the anyone will be better than Moore argument I don't agree with. 

True but nothing is guaranteed is it. If every club had this mentality no one would ever change manager.

• Like 1

Sunk cost fallacy. Sticking with what you’ve got to save face on the incorrect assumption that you’ve invested too much, come too far, or that nobody else is available. 

Carlos aside, the best two managers we’ve had at this club in 20 years have been Sturrock and Laws. Different circumstances at different points of this clubs “progression”, but both involved a different line of thinking to what we’ve had recently, in grabbing managers on the up. 

Just because you don’t know much about them yet, doesn’t mean there aren’t good managers working in the divisions below who could do a job here. Seem to recall United getting some stick when they went to Northampton to go and get Wilder. Didn’t work out too bad. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Sunk cost fallacy. Sticking with what you’ve got to save face on the incorrect assumption that you’ve invested too much, come too far, or that nobody else is available. 

Carlos aside, the best two managers we’ve had at this club in 20 years have been Sturrock and Laws. Different circumstances at different points of this clubs “progression”, but both involved a different line of thinking to what we’ve had recently, in grabbing managers on the up. 

Just because you don’t know much about them yet, doesn’t mean there aren’t good managers working in the divisions below who could do a job here. Seem to recall United getting some stick when they went to Northampton to go and get Wilder. Didn’t work out too bad. 

There's absolutely some merit in what you're saying

At our club though you'd get fans writing managers off as 'never achieved owt' before they even start

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

The WHO to appoint question is a fair one.  I can understand why some want to make an immediate change and, whilst I feel DM should be given until the end of the season, I wouldn’t have too many complaints if a change was made.

BUT if you read some posters on Owlstalk getting a decent manager in is like going down to your local supermarket to get a loaf of bread.  Easy as anything.

It’s like saying we have a team of Championship players.  Yes a few have played in the Championship but how many have been consistently good performers in the Championship over multiple seasons?  

3 hours ago, Nut said:

If I was the chairman of a football club, I'd make it my business to get to know as many people as possible in the game - players, ex players, coaches, managers, agents. I'd build relationships and know as much as possible about anyone who was a potential future manager and always have someone lined up, preferably someone who isn't on the merry go round of failed managers. 

Via zoom 

I am not sure if DC has the ability to attact Alex Neil who is at a completely different level to DM.

If Neil would come to SWFC that would be real coup.

Just a shame that Bert McGee is no longer with us.

Everyone said that Jack Charlton would never drop to manage in the 3rd Division (League One) but against all odds Bert pulled it off.

One thing is for certain if you never try then you will never succeed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, end of the season and go from there. We're in no danger of going down (unless there's a points deduction) and I don't think any of us were expecting us to be challenging for an instant return. 

My guess is that some of the players feel their time here is over hence the lackluster performance. Jan window has opened and I'd be happy to see the likes of Wing return to their parent clubs. 

Chansiri and his team need to start putting some feelers out and scouting some left field managers. Stop going for the same run around names that get thrown around. There's a next generation of good managers out there, you just have to find them first. 

3 hours ago, Nut said:

I agree totally. I'd make it top of my priority list, I'd also bring in people who know those people, but as we know, he basically likes to do it all himself, and he doesn't like to take any form of instruction. That suggests to me he's not likely to do any of it and simply go on what HE think, and we know how that turns out. He likes "his advisors"

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

Via zoom 

Zoom, TEAMS, in person, by email, text, through third parties and on the phone. If I was investing millions of pounds in my business, I wouldn't let Covid get in the way and I wouldn't live in a different country.