Non Whites at Hillsborough Topic

markg

I see that this has now been removed. How come?

Does my head in that people aren't able to have a conversation about issues like this without turning to actions that mean topics have to be closed or removed. Same with the topics relating to BLM. It seems some people want conversations like that to be shut down.

Such a shame as I enjoy most of Owlstalk but I don't really feel welcome in here due to things like this anymore. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, markg said:

I see that this has now been removed. How come?

Does my head in that people aren't able to have a conversation about issues like this without turning to actions that mean topics have to be closed or removed. Same with the topics relating to BLM. It seems some people want conversations like that to be shut down.

Such a shame as I enjoy most of Owlstalk but I don't really feel welcome in here due to things like this anymore. 

I'm not sure Mark but the dude that started the thread has asked to be deleted so not sure what happened. I do hope you feel comfortable taking the kids, how old are they? if they're quite young they might not pick up on any abuse, in which case you could just leave at the point but which to be fair, is unlikely, I've heard it once in the last 12 years that I've had a s/t. Ultimately it's a case of will the enjoyment they get from it be worth the risk? if they're desperate to go I'd take them, if they indifferent to football then probably not worth it anyway. 

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I'm not sure Mark but the dude that started the thread has asked to be deleted so not sure what happened. I do hope you feel comfortable taking the kids, how old are they? if they're quite young they might not pick up on any abuse, in which case you could just leave at the point but which to be fair, is unlikely, I've heard it once in the last 12 years that I've had a s/t. Ultimately it's a case of will the enjoyment they get from it be worth the risk? if they're desperate to go I'd take them, if they indifferent to football then probably not worth it anyway. 

Hi Mate, ah ok, I didn't realise that he had asked for it to be closed. It's a shame as I do think it's an important discussion.

They are 8 and 13. They are just getting into it but not mad on it. I think it was probably more me that wanted to take them, especially the oldest as I wanted to get him away from the damn PlayStation for a bit as that's all he tends to do really. I've heard bits from fans, but like you, not much luckily. I might be being over cautious. I just have a bad feeling that we'd hear more comments now we are doing badly as it tends to bring out the worst in some people.

2 minutes ago, markg said:

Hi Mate, ah ok, I didn't realise that he had asked for it to be closed. It's a shame as I do think it's an important discussion.

They are 8 and 13. They are just getting into it but not mad on it. I think it was probably more me that wanted to take them, especially the oldest as I wanted to get him away from the damn PlayStation for a bit as that's all he tends to do really. I've heard bits from fans, but like you, not much luckily. I might be being over cautious. I just have a bad feeling that we'd hear more comments now we are doing badly as it tends to bring out the worst in some people.

Yeh dunno if it was about this thread or something else. It may not be your place to, but say something was said then at least you're with them and you may be able to have that discussion with them and show them the right way to respond to that, as at some point in their lives it's likely they'll hear something or have something said to them and you or family may not be there to protect them in that scenario? 

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

It’s a shame that it’s gone - esp with the racism discussion just starting in Matchday. 

hopefully the posters who claimed to hear no racism, see no racism are reading that one

Yep. Exactly.

I was starting to feel a bit daft about my concerns about taking my mixed race niece and nephew to their first match at Hillsborough, almost laughed at for my concerns. 

• Like 2