Darren Moore on todays performance

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

But having said that if Moore was replaced I'd be ok with that I guess but not confident it would make any difference at all

We've had a proper clear aaaaaht of players, coaches, fitness coaches, physios, assistant managers and managers over the last few years and always get worse

I just don't think this is true.

I think DC made a superb appointment in Steve Bruce. Exactly the right kind of manager to get the club back to soke level of respectability.

While Newcastle might not have been the only club that he would have jumped ship to, I can't fault the appointment and with comments such as those from Westwood about how he brought a real step change in quality.

I do think DC has the ability to make a good appointment - likewise as he did initially with Carlos. He's played a few bad hands too it's fair to say, but I've seen logic in each situation.

If he's got the money to hire and fire I've got no issue with him making mistakes and trying again in Watford style. I'm not one for giving managers more time than they deserve. 

If it's working, great. If not, move on. 

He has backed each and every one of them relative to the situation - on that level perhaps Monk was a tad unlucky to have joined in the real messy time, especially post-Bruce, as he really did get scraps after Joao was sold and had Fletcher get a long term injury. 

Even Moore cannot say he hasn't been backed - certainly as much as he could ever have been promised.

A change can be a good thing, the world is a big place for managers and we just need one who can do just that bit better than the last one to progress.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, davey_wells said:

I just don't think this is true.

I think DC made a superb appointment in Steve Bruce. Exactly the right kind of manager to get the club back to soke level of respectability.

While Newcastle might not have been the only club that he would have jumped ship to, I can't fault the appointment and with comments such as those from Westwood about how he brought a real step change in quality.

I do think DC has the ability to make a good appointment - likewise as he did initially with Carlos. He's played a few bad hands too it's fair to say, but I've seen logic in each situation.

If he's got the money to hire and fire I've got no issue with him making mistakes and trying again in Watford style. I'm not one for giving managers more time than they deserve. 

If it's working, great. If not, move on. 

He has backed each and every one of them relative to the situation - on that level perhaps Monk was a tad unlucky to have joined in the real messy time, especially post-Bruce, as he really did get scraps after Joao was sold and had Fletcher get a long term injury. 

Even Moore cannot say he hasn't been backed - certainly as much as he could ever have been promised.

A change can be a good thing, the world is a big place for managers and we just need one who can do just that bit better than the last one to progress.

I hear what you’re saying but..

We've had a proper clear aaaaaht of players, coaches, fitness coaches, physios, assistant managers and managers over the last few years and always get worse overall as a club

As evidenced by our current situation 

We might land lucky on a manager (eg bruce) but they will want to leg it the second they see what a mess the club is in behind the the scenes 

Hence every single manager complaining about unexpected surprises after they’ve been in the job a few weeks 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

I think we've arrived at stick or fold time, and the bottom line is we look abject, still have no real plan or style, don't work hard enough, and tend to play with little threat tactically. 

There is no doubt that DM is a really nice guy and is doing his best and I really feel for him and, despite his limited track record, sincerely hoped it would work out. But it seems that this job is just too big for him even if he is being let down by the team who should also share some of the responsibility. I just cannot understand why decent players (as proven at other clubs e.g. Wing) turn out to be so ineffective. 

Truth is, we've rarely controlled a midfield this season and have yet to really go on to an easy win. Every match is a struggle, yet other teams manage to win comfortably. At the same time we have a fragility which is too close to the surface e.g. Plymouth, Hartlepool, Sunderland, when we look like we'd struggle in the Sunday league. 

We can keep saying its early days and we need stability, but he's been here for not much short of a year, failed to stop us falling through the trapdoor, recruited most of the players in what was a refresh opportunity and we look as disjointed as ever with no signs of us impressing and looking like we mean business on the pitch. 

It's a results business and in  League 1, there is very little patience or leeway at a club of our size and stature when we are not scoring frequently and not winning the number of games necessary to place us in the play-off pack after we've now gone past the half season stage. It's fold time sadly even if it is a gamble to change - nothing is without risk and it's more of a gamble to stick in my opinion. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Let's start a list to show how wrong this is

Chris Waddle
David Beckham
Bobby Moore
Bobby Robson

Chip in folks - let's show how mad this statement is

Just for clarity and some context, how many of the people you have named do you know personally? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Darren thinks we did, and this is his problem. After every defeat he says they'll put it right on the training ground. After every draw he says they will turn draws into wins. Never happens. I'm sorry to say I can't think of a single area of football management he is even average at. Can anyone?  Training, tactics, man management, substitutions, transfers, analysis, motivation, game management, he is simply useless at everything. 

Exactly this.

Basically he's out of his depth and the job is too much for him.

You can't play players out of natural positions and expect them to perform to best of their ability.

Yesterdays game changed when Dele and Laing came on but I honestly don't think he'll learn from that.

Berahino and Wing have been poor for long enough but still get starting positions.

Already resigned to a mid table finish at best, how sad is that.

The thing that now concerns me is the fact he'll probably be bringing in more of the the same.

What a great post from Daz which sums up succinctly our dire predicament under Moore

I agree with every word:

7 hours ago, Daz said:

I think we've arrived at stick or fold time, and the bottom line is we look abject, still have no real plan or style, don't work hard enough, and tend to play with little threat tactically. 

There is no doubt that DM is a really nice guy and is doing his best and I really feel for him and, despite his limited track record, sincerely hoped it would work out. But it seems that this job is just too big for him even if he is being let down by the team who should also share some of the responsibility. I just cannot understand why decent players (as proven at other clubs e.g. Wing) turn out to be so ineffective. 

Truth is, we've rarely controlled a midfield this season and have yet to really go on to an easy win. Every match is a struggle, yet other teams manage to win comfortably. At the same time we have a fragility which is too close to the surface e.g. Plymouth, Hartlepool, Sunderland, when we look like we'd struggle in the Sunday league. 

We can keep saying its early days and we need stability, but he's been here for not much short of a year, failed to stop us falling through the trapdoor, recruited most of the players in what was a refresh opportunity and we look as disjointed as ever with no signs of us impressing and looking like we mean business on the pitch. 

It's a results business and in  League 1, there is very little patience or leeway at a club of our size and stature when we are not scoring frequently and not winning the number of games necessary to place us in the play-off pack after we've now gone past the half season stage. It's fold time sadly even if it is a gamble to change - nothing is without risk and it's more of a gamble to stick in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest 123adam789
13 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

You don't have to be nasty to succeed in football be you do need to be ruthless.

With yourself and your team.

At the professional standard you need to be absolutely critical and ruthless otherwise you'll have a lot of chums but no job.

I think he may have one to many chums in the dressing room who constantly get picked and this might be grating with the rest of the squad. That would account for the hit and miss performances of Dennis and Corbeanu for starters. Personally I think its more deep rooted like again late salary payments. Just a thought.

On 03/01/2022 at 00:01, OwlerIT2 said:

“Dominant for large parts of the game” 🤣 
He is deluded and scary at what he thinks he is seeing.

Please be gone by the morning. 

I think if we lose our next match,he will be gone,might survive the next 2 tops....

On 03/01/2022 at 11:59, drewson said:

As eccentric as Bielsa, as disciplinarian as Conte, as smart as Guardiola...  how you going to sell that to Wednesdayites who want Warnock!   

Easy we want a manager that can galvanise and motivate players....and we dont want to watch dire,defensive boring football,and we especially dont want to watch it in L1

Easy sell really....

I don't think anyone has ever accused di Canio of playing dire defensive football! Swindon won a lot of praise for their attacking football - great game when they came close to a cup upset against Villa.

PS I should have added the enthusiasm of Klopp to the list.