The Hole In The Road

Probably the closest we had to heart of the city. 

Its a shame that their aren’t more photos of the whole underground network, as the memories also included the tunnels and the shops under there. 

In contemporary times, it would have been perfect for a gimbal walk. 

20 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

Post-war Soviet brutalism comes to South Yorkshire.

Yeah along with all the flats, good intentions but horrific to look at and terrible to live with.  Still haven't learnt our lesson most new builds lack character and grandeur. 

Nothing more than warehouses, Meadowhall demonstrates this people actually get dressed up for a day out in a warehouse.

The Moor should be flattened 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, M Royds said:

Its a shame that their aren’t more photos of the whole underground network, as the memories also included the tunnels and the shops under there. 

It was god awful dank, smelly, soulless, devoid of anything that could be thought of beautiful or somewhere you wanted to be.

Some heart, the rest of the body must have been poxed ridden 

19 hours ago, M Royds said:

Loads on here - https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

It was god awful dank, smelly, soulless, devoid of anything that could be thought of beautiful or somewhere you wanted to be.

Some heart, the rest of the body must have been poxed ridden 

I suppose it’s looking at memories through rose tinted specs can alter judgements. 

However, it’s a shame it was allowed to decay. More security and feeling safe, brightening up with clever use of lighting, regular cleaning, boutique shops, pavement cafes and restaurants with outdoor heating, inde shops, music, etc, it could’ve been a real asset to the city. 

At the time it was probably the right decision to fill in and Sheffield got a tram. However, would cities like Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds done the same? My guess they wouldn’t. with a bit of foresight and a few millions, They can gentrify all sorts  of rough places. 

Here’s a few examples of underground working. 

image.jpeg.1fb217643aead9d0267ca44cfe5613e8.jpeg

image.jpeg.f50e88c9bdea65a2f0a01ed1403d8997.jpeg

image.jpeg.7a859225e50d018e6ef8071ff1127677.jpeg

Edited by M Royds
  • Like 1

As someone who never saw it, it seems so weird that they would get rid of something unique like this (to the UK). A massive shame.

Sheffield seems to have a similar problem to Doncaster- the centre is too large for what is needed so units get filled with rubbish shops

If Donny was Barnsley/Rotherham centre size it would be really good for a northern town 

3 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

As someone who never saw it, it seems so weird that they would get rid of something unique like this (to the UK). A massive shame.

Sheffield seems to have a similar problem to Doncaster- the centre is too large for what is needed so units get filled with rubbish shops

If Donny was Barnsley/Rotherham centre size it would be really good for a northern town 

Trust me you didn't want to see it.  It had no redeeming features.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, M Royds said:

I suppose it’s looking at memories through rose tinted specs can alter judgements. 

However, it’s a shame it was allowed to decay. More security and feeling safe, brightening up with clever use of lighting, regular cleaning, boutique shops, pavement cafes and restaurants with outdoor heating, inde shops, music, etc, it could’ve been a real asset to the city. 

At the time it was probably the right decision to fill in and Sheffield got a tram. However, would cities like Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds done the same? My guess they wouldn’t. with a bit of foresight and a few millions, They can gentrify all sorts  of rough places. 

Another good example is Sunbridge Wells in Bradford 

12 minutes ago, M Royds said:

Granted you they could have tarted it up, but then it wouldn't be in the hole in the ground.

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Granted you they could have tarted it up, but then it wouldn't be in the hole in the ground.

I’m talking about tarting up the whole network and passages. As Ellis says it’s unique. I’d imagine that if Leeds can do something stunning like the I’m not even sure what was it’s proper name.

Look how stunning what Leeds have done. 

image.jpeg.82257e95be78b25f2a40d343281a13f7.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Tea Baggins said:

Sunbridge Wells in Bradford 

Looks nice but it doesn’t look like a public thoroughfare. The hole in the road was well used subway system before it went into decay. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

It had to get filled in for Supertram

And super tram has been a terrific asset for the city. It’s a shame that the subway network couldn’t have been part of a regen for the tunnels.  

All relative now. 

Just now, mildatheart67 said:

The Leeds thing is the Dark Arches under the railway station, used to be a proper grotty thru road with an absymal reputation

What’s it like now?

7 minutes ago, M Royds said:

I’m talking about tarting up the whole network and passages. As Ellis says it’s unique. I’d imagine that if Leeds can do something stunning like the I’m not even sure what was it’s proper name.

Look how stunning what Leeds have done. 

image.jpeg.82257e95be78b25f2a40d343281a13f7.jpeg

Looks nice but it doesn’t look like a public thoroughfare. The hole in the road was well used subway system before it went into decay. 

Not my cup of tea but accept it would be popular, the difference is that HITR wasn't tarted up.

And surely if it was decent it should have stood on its own two feet and stood the test of time.