ALEX NEIL

Just now, striker said:

Why is relegation on a CV such a big thing? 

Darren Moore was also manager of West Brom when they got relegated and us last season. 2 relegations for him now.

Not that I'm advocating for Alex Neil, but don't see a relegation as such a red flag, when considered in the round along with other achievements.

So how do you feel about promotions?  Is that a good thing?

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So how do you feel about promotions?  Is that a good thing?

Yes in the right context. I was vehemently against Pulis for example from the start despite the promotion stat constantly being trotted out. 

My opinion is formed on style of play, perceived tactical ability, fit with our club and considered in relation to recent achievements. 

I know from another thread that you disagree, but I rate Paul Warne highly and advocated for him ages ago. I know he has relegations on his CV, but also promotions and bearing in mind my criteria above, would be my choice if Moore being replaced.

9 minutes ago, striker said:

Yes in the right context. I was vehemently against Pulis for example from the start despite the promotion stat constantly being trotted out. 

My opinion is formed on style of play, perceived tactical ability, fit with our club and considered in relation to recent achievements. 

I know from another thread that you disagree, but I rate Paul Warne highly and advocated for him ages ago. I know he has relegations on his CV, but also promotions and bearing in mind my criteria above, would be my choice if Moore being replaced.

Hut then the relegation should be judged on context too? He took Norwich down but he has full year to change it. He didnt.

Moore for example has 2 relegations, but he took over with WBA already doomed and nearly kept them up. Then he joined us already doomed and ended up on deaths door. I don't think either relegation can be fairly attributed to Moore.

Paul Warne would be my ideal and was also back early this year. But he wouldn't come with us and rotherham in the situations we are in.

Right now though, Moore is our manager and for good reason too. But always good to look at alternatives. We do it with players, why not gaffers?

6 minutes ago, striker said:

Interesting thoughts, as I was against Pulis for more or less the same reasons, I do like a manager who is positive and forward thinking. 

The "fit" bit is very subjective but all our successful managers did seem like a good a fit and I get that feeling with Moore, not that I think he will be given long enough to prove himself.

Warne is strange one just get the feeling that like Wilder he was in the right place at the right time, and that he was given the job as there wasn't anyone else.  Would he be successful at another club? Remains to be seen.

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Hut then the relegation should be judged on context too? He took Norwich down but he has full year to change it. He didnt.

Moore for example has 2 relegations, but he took over with WBA already doomed and nearly kept them up. Then he joined us already doomed and ended up on deaths door. I don't think either relegation can be fairly attributed to Moore.

Paul Warne would be my ideal and was also back early this year. But he wouldn't come with us and rotherham in the situations we are in.

Right now though, Moore is our manager and for good reason too. But always good to look at alternatives. We do it with players, why not gaffers?

Don't get me wrong , I don't want Alex Neil, not necessarily because of relegation, but style of play and the man himself, I don't like. I acknowledge his teams battling qualities, but that's about it for his plus points.

Agree about Warne, a good candidate but probably a non starter unfortunately.

The issue for me isn't particularly Moore, but Chansiri. It's his job to assess whether the manager is doing the job, as expected and on target to achieve objectives. Moore is managing as he always has, that's what Chansiri appointed. 

Moore has done a lot of good things, necessary in the situation we were in off the pitch, but I don't see him getting us promoted on the pitch.

If Chansiri's objective is promotion, needs to make a change. 

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Warne is strange one just get the feeling that like Wilder he was in the right place at the right time, and that he was given the job as there wasn't anyone else.  Would he be successful at another club? Remains to be seen.

Rovrum will have a different recruitment strategy to us and to a few other clubs in that theyl be looking for more physical types of players, plus the other attributes like fitness and height.

Plus they arent limited to where recruit from as they can spend hard cash. Warne might find success with a team like Cardiff

6 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Interesting thoughts, as I was against Pulis for more or less the same reasons, I do like a manager who is positive and forward thinking. 

The "fit" bit is very subjective but all our successful managers did seem like a good a fit and I get that feeling with Moore, not that I think he will be given long enough to prove himself.

Mr too, was really pleased when we appointed Moore. He has done a lot of good work off the pitch, necessary after years of change and neglect. 

But on it, been disappointing and the excuses are getting harder to accept. 

I'm not desperate to get rid of Moore, but I have little confidence he will get us promoted. If promotion is the aim, my opinion is that a change is needed. He may well do it, and I hope he does, but I think it's extremely unlikely. 

As for Warne, you may be right. I just like his attitude and what he's done at Rotherham. There's no telling whether managers can accept the expectations at bigger clubs. That's down to Chansiri to decide.....and that's where the real problems are!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Current age - 40

Manager of Hamiliton Academicals - promoted to the Scottish Premier League 2014

Manager of Norwich City - promoted to the English Premier League 2015

Manager of Preston North End - left with PNE 16th in the English Championship

The first of the key selection criteria in recruiting a new manager should be to ensure a Track Record of Success.

In our case that means promotions because the individual then knows what it takes to get a team promoted.

Trouble is chansiri doesn't get it.

When we do need a new manager

I want one who will come in and kick arse's

These prancing poser's have had it too easy for too long at this club

I thought when Moore got rid of 14 in the summer that this was the chance to rebuild without the dead wood

But the shower of Shiite he's brought in have done no better

So we either need another clear out, or a manager who can kick arse's

• Like 3

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Mr too, was really pleased when we appointed Moore. He has done a lot of good work off the pitch, necessary after years of change and neglect. 

I'm not desperate to get rid of Moore, but I have little confidence he will get us promoted. If promotion is the aim, my opinion is that a change is needed. He may well do it, and I hope he does, but I think it's extremely unlikely. 

As for Warne, you may be right. I just like his attitude and what he's done at Rotherham. There's no telling whether managers can accept the expectations at bigger clubs. That's down to Chansiri to decide.....and that's where the real problems are!!

I don't think Moore /DC are looking for promotion this season as such, it's more a rebuilding project which is going to be a two, three season rebuild.  Players will go and go before we find the right blend.

The fans want instant success and if we don't achieve that, then the manager is finished due to to fan pressure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Current age - 40

Manager of Hamiliton Academicals - promoted to the Scottish Premier League 2014

Manager of Norwich City - promoted to the English Premier League 2015

Manager of Preston North End - left with PNE 16th in the English Championship

The first of the key selection criteria in recruiting a new manager should be to ensure a Track Record of Success.

In our case that means promotions because the individual then knows what it takes to get a team promoted.

Great success in his last job taking PNE to 16th. As for Hamilton they are a yo-yo team in and out of Scottish Prem. Sure there are far better options if a position becomes available and at present there isn't.

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I don't think Moore /DC are looking for promotion this season as such, it's more a rebuilding project which is going to be a two, three season rebuild.  Players will go and go before we find the right blend.

The fans want instant success and if we don't achieve that, then the manager is finished due to to fan pressure.

I'm not sure about that. Don't think Chansiri wants to be in this league. 

I also recall noises coming out of the club stating the aim was to win the league. All sounds a bit silly now in hindsight. 

I don't mind building, but that's not what the club set out as the objective. I know they aren't going to come out and say mid table is ok, but I also don't think Chansiri will accept that either.

Only Chansiri will decide whether he wants to fund a Darren Moore project, likely to cost him tens more millions the longer we stay in L1. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, striker said:

I'm not sure about that. Don't think Chansiri wants to be in this league. 

I also recall noises coming out of the club stating the aim was to win the league. All sounds a bit silly now in hindsight. 

I don't mind building, but that's not what the club set out as the objective. I know they aren't going to come out and say mid table is ok, but I also don't think Chansiri will accept that either.

Only Chansiri will decide whether he wants to fund a Darren Moore project, likely to cost him tens more millions the longer we stay in L1. 

Big city clubs always have to state their aim is to compete it's what the fans expect. 

DC is in a bit of a corner now, he's tried buying success now is taking the much cheaper route which I would say demands a more long term strategy before you get all the right players in all the right holes.   

I would like someone alongside DM who is more tactically aware, as I do think that where DM is lacking.  I can't fault him on the players he's brought into the club all of them if they play to their capabilities look decent signings, as ever its finding the right blend.

33 minutes ago, striker said:

Hiring Moore was a massive gamble imo. He’d not achieved anything to suggest he could do the job here 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1