Is media coverage disrespecting African Cup of Nations?

37 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

It's obvious that clubs won't like it. Why does it happen this time of year, too hot in summer?

That was gonna be my question too. Why is it mid season? If it was held in the summer it'd get more coverage and bring in more money through advertising etc. Would be more of a showcase for players and nations rather than something that's happening at the same time as 'the biggest and bestest and only league that matters in the world ever'. 

1 hour ago, latemodelchild said:

That was gonna be my question too. Why is it mid season? If it was held in the summer it'd get more coverage and bring in more money through advertising etc. Would be more of a showcase for players and nations rather than something that's happening at the same time as 'the biggest and bestest and only league that matters in the world ever'. 

I could see it catching on here mid season when we have these years where euros/wc isn't on. We have large communities of African people in UK and that could be brought into it. I'd rather watch African sides than South American sides save for Brazil/Argentina. Most of the better players are in Europe so a similar type of football compared to Copa America. Only the real enthusiasts are gonna watch AFCON on top of everything else mid season.

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I could see it catching on here mid season when we have these years where euros/wc isn't on. We have large communities of African people in UK and that could be brought into it. I'd rather watch African sides than South American sides save for Brazil/Argentina. Most of the better players are in Europe so a similar type of football compared to Copa America. Only the real enthusiasts are gonna watch AFCON on top of everything else mid season.

+ the game times suit European TV compared to Copa America 

The scheduling of AFCON is a matter for the African football authorities and nobody else.  If the scheduling should be adjusted for anyone it is the African public, not the Europeans.  It appears it was due to be held in June (I assume as it because it is a covid-delayed tournament?) , but the Cameroonian authorities moved it to January to avoid the rainy season.  Fair enough.  I seem to remember it is usually held around this time anyway?

European clubs have been aware for decades that they are likely to have African players called up for the tournament and they take that risk when they sign them.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Big Malc said:

The scheduling of AFCON is a matter for the African football authorities and nobody else.  If the scheduling should be adjusted for anyone it is the African public, not the Europeans.  It appears it was due to be held in June (I assume as it because it is a covid-delayed tournament?) , but the Cameroonian authorities moved it to January to avoid the rainy season.  Fair enough.  I seem to remember it is usually held around this time anyway?

European clubs have been aware for decades that they are likely to have African players called up for the tournament and they take that risk when they sign them.  

Everything you say is right 

But ir is very simple if they want more media coverage and more enthusiasm from the clubs the tournament should be help in the close season