The end of the world?

Guest Grandad

2 hours ago, Django said:

OP is either 

a, fishing 

b, completely lost his mind

Either way threads like this aren’t helpful

Grandad is a smart bloke and an extremely good poster on here. One of the posters whose comments are always worth reading - even the ones that are obviously a wind up.

Much of what he’s said today is bang on, including his reply to one of my posts earlier regarding that DC is the problem. Again, he’s right. Ultimately we’re in the mess we’re in and having to adjust expectations because of DC.

I just think there’s room for disagreement regarding Moore’s performance, expectations of this team, and dreaming for better in spite of everything else. I don’t believe Sheffield Wednesday FC should EVER “settle” in the third division, and I think Moore has still received enough backing - despite limitations - that we shouldn’t give up on those standards. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Grandad said:

Is it?

You'd think so reading Owlstalk and the socials this morning. 

It was a bad defeat and the manner of it was even worse. 

But it was our first defeat in 3 months. Moore is over performing at present, as are his team of freebies and loan players. 

Anybody that genuinely thought he could construct a team from our situation that can really push for promotion is kidding themselves. That's not Darren Moore's fault. He's making the best of the hand he's been dealt by the chairman. It would be grossly unfair to sack him now. 

Anything above mid table by the end of the season and he's worked a miracle

At last a sensible  dose of reality. There are still people on here who think we have the strongest squad in the league. Sorry I dont get it they are what they are freebies and loan players.

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

We aren't good enough to attack like you say

Course we are, its Division THREE FFS!! we are not good enough to try to 'attack' with a lone striker after  trying to play it out from the back,as was DM original tactics,that is for sure.....even in L1...

Yes he changed to 2 up front and less playing it out,(eventually)but too little too late,after costing us too many draws against sides we could,and should have beaten easily.

You seriously suggesting we cant set up to attack poor third Division sides and have a go? Really? you agree with DM  than to set up each team to counter the other teams 'strength's?

We are going nowhere.....& to not even start the NY in a play off position,but be 5 points adrift of one,is a ****ing disgrace of a failure...FAILURE   

17 minutes ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

At last a sensible  dose of reality. There are still people on here who think we have the strongest squad in the league. Sorry I dont get it they are what they are freebies and loan players.

ITS perfectly reasonable to assume we have a decent squad,7 of our players were first team regulars in the Championship last season with us,we added BPF on loan, and added Gregory & Wing both sort after players after last season.

Some of our signings haven't worked out,but overall our squad is strong....by comparison to the quality of others.

As a team are we playing well?NO are our team selections right? not in my view? tactics same.....Game management & subs ?  ditto......and all of the above make us WEAK (er) than other teams/squads  

Thats why many feel we should be doing better

Lots of teams have to bring in players for nothing,season after season, Rotherham for one...

2 minutes ago, parajack said:

7 of our players were first team regulars in the Championship last season with us...

I wonder how many players we could have said such things about in the last couple of decades that weren't up to the standard? We could probably put together four or five whole teams from such a list.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We got relegated

Yes we did,by an EFL sanction.........as poor as we were at times,as puzzling as it was trying to play it out in a relegation battle,we still had enough points to stay up without the sanction.

Even with all of that a win on our last day would have kept us up......

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I wonder how many players we could have said such things about in the last couple of decades that weren't up to the standard? We could probably put together four or five whole teams from such a list.

What standard?  are we really saying that these players are not Championship standard all of a sudden?

Bannan,Windass,Patterson, too? BPF?  Gregory?

Guest Grandad
25 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Grandad is a smart bloke and an extremely good poster on here. One of the posters whose comments are always worth reading - even the ones that are obviously a wind up.

Much of what he’s said today is bang on, including his reply to one of my posts earlier regarding that DC is the problem. Again, he’s right. Ultimately we’re in the mess we’re in and having to adjust expectations because of DC.

I just think there’s room for disagreement regarding Moore’s performance, expectations of this team, and dreaming for better in spite of everything else. I don’t believe Sheffield Wednesday FC should EVER “settle” in the third division, and I think Moore has still received enough backing - despite limitations - that we shouldn’t give up on those standards. 

Of course there's room for disagreement - that's exactly what this site is about. As long as it's done respectfully and without resorting to abuse. 

Happy New Year to you. And everybody else, regardless of whether you agree or disagree, or even if you think I'm a monumental no b. 

Guest Grandad
Just now, Grandad said:

Of course there's room for disagreement - that's exactly what this site is about. As long as it's done respectfully and without resorting to abuse. 

Happy New Year to you. And everybody else, regardless of whether you agree or disagree, or even if you think I'm a monumental no b. 

The Mrs just took this pic of me posting the above. My New Year's gift to you all lol

IMG-20211231-WA0018.thumb.jpg.1a4bfd0acc060567e16c63976a3a7535.jpg

Guest Grandad
Just now, @owlstalk said:

CCAE9AC9-2327-4EC0-8D40-999BEBC2B195.jpeg

Keeps the beer cool pal

Have a good one (I should do a Holiday Hacks thread)

Like pack a 1m 4 way extension with just 1 foreign plug adaptor when you travel. That kind of thing

7 hours ago, Grandad said:

Did you miss the bit where I said 'it was a bad defeat and the manner of it was even worse '

Most of those players playing last night are HIS players, we were 3 down at half time but came out second half with the same setup and players so i think you can blame moore for the inept performance that he himself said he never saw coming!!!

I hope Moore has not been telling the players before every game ‘don’t worry lads, the fans only want mid table. Now go out there and have some fun’. 

With the wages some of our players are on, is it so wrong for the fans to want top 6? I personally wanted top 2. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest Grandad
Just now, Screen Door Slams said:

Aaaah.........that explains the surprising optimism........................it`s easy to be objective when you are somewhere like that in December :biggrin:

Several beers in too

40 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Keeps the beer cool pal

Have a good one (I should do a Holiday Hacks thread)

Like pack a 1m 4 way extension with just 1 foreign plug adaptor when you travel. That kind of thing

61M3Ax06wWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I don t' go anywhere without one of these - plus a travel adaptor

really cheap too - https://amzn.to/3eGyXq9

Owlstalk Shop

I fully agree with the OP, & I can cope with uttershyte performances, with one condition;

We win at Shrewsbury. 

This will prove yesterday was a one off, it will show that the players have some professional & personal pride & restore some faith in the supporters.

Leicester got thumped at City, next time out, they beat Liverpool. It's this attitude we need to see. Put things straight at the first opportunity. No bs excuses.