The end of the world?

Guest Grandad

39 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

How on Earth do you get to that?, they are a group of players that have been cobbled to gether just 6 month;s ago.

All have a good pedigree.... 

And I have to laugh at

" Just six months " lol

How long do you give him?  Many many other managers.. " Manage "  Just fine. . 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

What’s this bottle thing ?

Have you ever played in a football match and lost ? I have probably lost 400 over the years, is it all down to a lack of bottle ?  

We lack quality in key areas, most notably centre back and striker as we have been unable to sign decent players for nigh on four years.  We played a kid from the stiffs for most of last night plus a player with a drugs ban who no one else wanted.  

you can have as much bottle as you want.  But with a winger, a full back  and a kid trying to prop up a defence away at the league leaders you are only going one way 

I would regard having some bottle as not enduring that stat we’ve only just broken after several years of not coming back from a goal down. Or not visibly crumbling to absolutely nothing after conceding the first goal as we’ve done multiple times this season. Last nights game was pathetic. No effort, no fight, no application. Couldn’t get the basics right. The absolute minimum fans of ANY team should expect for their price of admission. Throw it on the pile with the two trips to Plymouth. 

And spare me the woe is me about recruitment. We signed 14 players in the summer. Was Johnson signed to play at the back? Maybe he should have signed a CB instead of Shodipo, Berahino, Kamberi and Sow? What’s Mendez-Laing here for? Moore had near enough a clean slate in the summer and although the circumstances were limiting, he still signed 14 players. The team looking this imbalanced is on him. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm easy either way on Darren Moore

If he stays he stays

If he goes he goes

I just can't abide the next bit if he's sacked - the shopping around for managers prepared to come here and work under these conditions with this chairman

And the absolutely inane and ridiculous typical suggestions from our fans of who we should have as our next manager

It's such a painful process I'm more than happy to stick with any manager for life if it avoids being told we should get Warnock or Big Sam in endlessly

lol

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Indeed,  personally I don’t agree that Moore is over achieving but happy to accept my opinion is wrong. If i was made to choose one of the 24 squads to manage in this league then Wednesday’s squad list of players would be one of the top 3 I would go with. Certainly over the likes of MK Dons, Oxford and Plymouth.  

because these 3 sides are doing well I notice some people think it means they have better players. But I’d sooner do  swap for their managers than their playing squads.

Can we swap both?? I mean the playing squad is the biggest expense and that which is taking us to the brink of financial ruin? I’ve seen enough managers try to get a tune out of too many of these. No amount of Hollywood passes from Bannan or determined shithousery from Paterson make me think aye, you deserve to earn as much as the Accrington team combined. 

Our club is rotten, full of players earning a fortune and we as fans keep defending these players but for what? None of them deserve the fortunes we pay them and I’m sure any half decent manager could assemble better for the budget we spend. So if we can swap for Oxford or Plymouth I’m all for it. More effort, better results, fraction of the cost! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Can we swap both?? I mean the playing squad is the biggest expense and that which is taking us to the brink of financial ruin? I’ve seen enough managers try to get a tune out of too many of these. No amount of Hollywood passes from Bannan or determined shithousery from Paterson make me think aye, you deserve to earn as much as the Accrington team combined. 

Our club is rotten, full of players earning a fortune and we as fans keep defending these players but for what? None of them deserve the fortunes we pay them and I’m sure any half decent manager could assemble better for the budget we spend. So if we can swap for Oxford or Plymouth I’m all for it. More effort, better results, fraction of the cost! 

Well I agree with you that our club is rotten, starting with the main rotten apple  at the top of the tree. and some of our players need to be assessing their efforts. But if we were to agree a deal to swap our best players for Plymouth’s, let’s say BPF, Iorfa, Dunkley, Hunt, Bannan, Luongo, Adeniran, Wing, Corbeanu, Windass, Gregory, Kamberi etc.  Do we think that would get us into 4th place? Personally I doubt it. 

1 minute ago, Southie_Owl said:

Well I agree with you that our club is rotten, starting with the main rotten apple  at the top of the tree. and some of our players need to be assessing their efforts. But if we were to agree a deal to swap our best players for Plymouth’s, let’s say BPF, Iorfa, Dunkley, Hunt, Bannan, Luongo, Adeniran, Wing, Corbeanu, Windass, Gregory, Kamberi etc.  Do we think that would get us into 4th place? Personally I doubt it. 

I don’t know where we’d be without our cast of highly paid superstars other than in a far better financial position. I don’t really care, actually that’s a lie I do care about league position but it’s a short term concern. 

The club needs fixing. That’s a long term concern.

We’re paying players more than other teams earn as a collective and they are competing just as well as we are. We have players here that are worshipped that have not really delivered anything, ever. With a fear of getting rid of them as if they were Hirst, Waddle, Di Canio or Walker. 

I’m not sure we’re we would be without them. But it can hardly be worse than mid table in a division where Accrington have 3 points less than us with a combined first team salary of 13k. 

Guest Jack the Hat

100% disagree. Would hardly describe Bannan et al as freebies with the salaries they are on compared to other teams in this league. More than half the team have played champs or higher. Whilst Chansiri is the big problem  - he has invested in salaries this season- Moore is the wrong man for the job. Continue with him and we will go nowhere. I agree he deserves the season- and will get it but we will go nowhere with him. Just a question of how much time we waste before we move on.

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

Is it?

You'd think so reading Owlstalk and the socials this morning. 

It was a bad defeat and the manner of it was even worse. 

But it was our first defeat in 3 months. Moore is over performing at present, as are his team of freebies and loan players. 

Anybody that genuinely thought he could construct a team from our situation that can really push for promotion is kidding themselves. That's not Darren Moore's fault. He's making the best of the hand he's been dealt by the chairman. It would be grossly unfair to sack him now. 

Anything above mid table by the end of the season and he's worked a miracle

I know you want to pin all the blame on DC, but not buying it in this case. There is no way you can say Moore hasn't been backed for this season - 15 signings he's had. You can argue he's been unlucky with injuries, but not signing a LB is criminal in the first place.

In theory, good signings but woefully used. Shodipo one of the best wingers in L1 last season yet we don't use him. Theo consistently dazzled when asked to play, yet mysteriously keeps dropping him. 

His tactics are crap, his team picks are crap, and they're nothing to do with DC

We're going nowhere with Moore. Even Donny fans ended up with the same impression just before he left them for us

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Jack the Hat said:

100% disagree. Would hardly describe Bannan et al as freebies with the salaries they are on compared to other teams in this league. More than half the team have played champs or higher. Whilst Chansiri is the big problem  - he has invested in salaries this season- Moore is the wrong man for the job. Continue with him and we will go nowhere. I agree he deserves the season- and will get it but we will go nowhere with him. Just a question of how much time we waste before we move on.

If we’re to keep Moore I hope he’s used as a hatchet man to ship out some of these stars and free up some budget for next year. Paying this mob championship salaries is a disgrace. 

Well I must have been kidding myself then Grandad as I thought that after dropping down a division we could  retain half of the squad and add some new blood and push on for an immediate return.

I’m not sure that DM has been dealt a bum hand in the transfer market restricted to loans and cast offs. We are a huge club within the third tear and the pulling power that brings with it means that loan players who had choices chose Wednesday. I’ll bet that our wage structure is one of the biggest as well. 
As for “overachieving “…. I’m struggling to see on what level Wednesday could be considered to be doing that.

But that’s footy, it’s the difference of opinions that brings us together in debate, friendship and a common love of Wednesday.

Happy New Year to all Owlstalkers.

• Like 2

Guest Grandad
9 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

Well I must have been kidding myself then Grandad as I thought that after dropping down a division we could  retain half of the squad and add some new blood and push on for an immediate return.

I’m not sure that DM has been dealt a bum hand in the transfer market restricted to loans and cast offs. We are a huge club within the third tear and the pulling power that brings with it means that loan players who had choices chose Wednesday. I’ll bet that our wage structure is one of the biggest as well. 
As for “overachieving “…. I’m struggling to see on what level Wednesday could be considered to be doing that.

But that’s footy, it’s the difference of opinions that brings us together in debate, friendship and a common love of Wednesday.

Yes. You were kidding yourself. 

Happy New Year to you too pal

3 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Yes. You were kidding yourself. 

Happy New Year to you too pal

Ha ha. You’re probably right my friend.

If you could give me the heads up when it is appropriate to be optimistic then I would be most grateful.

Have a great ‘22

• Love 1

The strange bit is I wasnt even that bothered about last night

Just sort of roll my eyes as the goals go in.

Very apathetic. I was hoping that a bit of a rebuild with a newish manager would slightly replenish the enthusiasm tank but it's by and large more of the same.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

As for the fabled ‘unbeaten run’ that seems to be an affirmation of Moores managerial abilities. The majority of these ‘draws’ were made up of throwing the extra two points away & scraping the draw. 

I don't think it's remotely an affirmation.

It's a reminder that even if he's not the long term answer, he's done a decent job of stabilising us after last seasons debacle, that there's something to build on, and that things could be a whole lot worse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stripes or die said:

No I didn't 

3 months? How time flies when you’re having fun! 

And there was me thinking it was only 6 weeks since I witnessed our abject surrender in the FA cup at Plymouth. 

Not long ago, somebody posted that this side was gonna thrash a team soon. Obviously, they must have been talking about Sunderland and not us. 

24 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

It’s very much looking like the third tear Scilly. 😀. I too thought we would be doing better than this. Paul Warne doesn’t seem to be finding things so difficult does he?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I don't think it's remotely an affirmation.

It's a reminder that even if he's not the long term answer, he's done a decent job of stabilising us after last seasons debacle, that there's something to build on, and that things could be a whole lot worse. 

Forgive me, but wasn’t he PART of the last season debacle. I realise he came in at the 11th hour but I thought at the time he looked technically naive when called upon & frequently got formations and line ups wrong.

I still think a more able manager would have kept us up.

Also, a large number on here ARE quoting the ‘unbeaten run’ as testiment to his ability & using it as justification to retain the status quo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1