No need to overreact

1 hour ago, bobness said:

The same rationale would've seen Megson kept on and us probably not getting promoted.

The only sticking point for me is that I have less confidence in DC finding a suitable replacement than I have in Moore achieving the playoffs. 

And let's be honest about the unbeaten run. It's a bit overrated isn't it? Considering it was littered with a number of poor draws. 

Even a play off place now is potentially slipping away,and people still deluding themselves.....i remember a similar debate when we dropped off the automatic promotion spots.....5 points  adrift

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

The Moore out bit wasn't solely aimed at you, it was towards a lot of the responses in general, I should have specified this. But it does outline why I think we need more patience now.

Your logic on the draws is completely flawed. Yes 84 points is based on a full season, because we're analysing a 12 game period where we achieved 7 draws and 5 wins.

You can't then pick out the draws from that period and say we should have gone for it in those games because a combination of style change & potential confidence impact is we lose would have had a knock on impact in the next game.

5 wins and 7 draws from 12 games is impressive, especially with an improvement in our play - so after achieving this I'm willing to give our players the benefit of the doubt after one awful display.

the games we’ve drawn we’ve often been infront going into the final 10 minutes…2-0 up on one occasion. when we finish 7th/8th it will only be for one reason…to many draws. Too many draws kill you, it’s a fact of football. 

i do agree on the fact that we need to be patient with Moore, I don’t necessarily like him as our manager but it would be stupid to get shut now. 

18 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How do you come to that conclusion when the league table, games left to play and the January transfer window suggest otherwise?

Same as everyone else does,its an opinion,but heres what i base mine on:

lack of confidence in us bringing in(the right) players,

no confidence in DM and his decision making/game mngt/subs/tactics

poor attitude in my view at times displayed on the field

Too many injury's  

• Thanks 1

Just now, parajack said:

Same as everyone else does,its an opinion,but heres what i base mine on:

lack of confidence in us bringing in(the right) players,

no confidence in DM and his decision making/game mngt/subs/tactics

poor attitude in my view at times displayed on the field

Too many injury's  

But the league table, games left to play and the January transfer window suggest otherwise?

Still all to play for 

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's quite the sticking point, though!

Whilst the balance of odds tips that way, surely we may as well let Moore get on with the job?

I agree, it's a serious sticking point, but it's not in defence of Moore. If Moore were sacked, I'd think it well deserved. Just sadly I don't have confidence in DC's decision making. Funnily enough, I suspect DC's poor decision making is precisely why Moore won't be sacked...

Come the end of this season I'd love this post to bite me in the aris!

2 minutes ago, bobness said:

I agree, it's a serious sticking point, but it's not in defence of Moore. If Moore were sacked, I'd think it well deserved. Just sadly I don't have confidence in DC's decision making. Funnily enough, I suspect DC's poor decision making is precisely why Moore won't be sacked...

Come the end of this season I'd love this post to bite me in the aris!

I'm surprised by that.

Where did you think we'd finish this season? 

For me, automatic promotion was always a very tall order given how historically difficult relegated teams find it, and the utter chaos at the club last season. It's safe to say we landed in League One with a bump! 

Given the above, the massive upheaval over the summer, and the fact that we were only allowed to recruit freebies and loans, I thought a top six spot would represent a decent season.

We've suffered the expected bedding-in period and have had to wait whilst the players and the manager adjusted to each other, but have managed that period whilst staying in touch with the playoff chase. Recent performances had shown signs of promise prior to the squad being hit with covid.

But what really makes me think it would be harsh to sack Moore right now is that we've done this whilst suffering an injury crisis which has deprived us of our best attacker, our best (only) defensive midfielder, and three or four of our senior centre-backs for much of the season so far.

I keep reading that we have one of the strongest squads in the division on paper, but that's he only place they've appeared with any regularity thus far. Take the equivalent players away from any team and they're going to see a dip in form.

If we can get Windass, Luongo, and at least two of Iorfa, Hutchinson, Dunkley or Gibson on the pitch for the majority of our remaining games, then that should make the world of difference. If not, then we'll need to hope we can somehow recruit suitable replacements within the EFL's restrictions, which seems unlikely.

I won't lose any sleep if Moore is sacked - he'll just be the latest in a long line of managers to come and go at Hillsborough - but it would seem a bit harsh given the wider context in which he's managing.

28 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I honestly didn't give it any calculated thought, and don't recall participating in threads which asked for predictions. It wouldn't have surprised me if we did terribly, but it also wouldn't have surprised me if we were doing better than we are doing currently, because we both know that some managers have done better with less.

Holding onto Bannan suggested that Moore was tasked with promotion. While it may have been another one of DC's delusions, it at least set the club's expectations. And in DC's defence, evidently we're actually not too far off. The reality is that we actually can contend, so why should anyone's expectations before the season matter?

1 hour ago, bobness said:

I honestly didn't give it any calculated thought, and don't recall participating in threads which asked for predictions. It wouldn't have surprised me if we did terribly, but it also wouldn't have surprised me if we were doing better than we are doing currently, because we both know that some managers have done better with less.

Holding onto Bannan suggested that Moore was tasked with promotion. While it may have been another one of DC's delusions, it at least set the club's expectations. And in DC's defence, evidently we're actually not too far off. The reality is that we actually can contend, so why should anyone's expectations before the season matter?

The reality is that we're contending for a playoff place, but many on here think that's grounds for the manager to be sacked.

What we expected of the season probably plays quite a large role in how we judge how things are going, doesn't it?

For instance, I thought we'd do well to stay in touch with the top six by the time Windass returned from injury with a view to kicking on once he returned, so I'm okay with where we are, especially given the other injuries we've suffered.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The reality is that we're contending for a playoff place, but many on here think that's grounds for the manager to be sacked.

What we expected of the season probably plays quite a large role in how we judge how things are going, doesn't it?

For instance, I thought we'd do well to stay in touch with the top six by the time Windass returned from injury with a view to kicking on once he returned, so I'm okay with where we are, especially given the other injuries we've suffered.

Our position in the table doesn't alarm me. Like you said, on paper we're very much in the playoff runnings. It's our ovewhelming lack of fight that concerns me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm surprised by that.

For me, automatic promotion was always a very tall order given how historically difficult relegated teams find it, and the utter chaos at the club last season. It's safe to say we landed in League One with a bump! 

Given the above, the massive upheaval over the summer, and the fact that we were only allowed to recruit freebies and loans, I thought a top six spot would represent a decent season.

We've suffered the expected bedding-in period and have had to wait whilst the players and the manager adjusted to each other, but have managed that period whilst staying in touch with the playoff chase. Recent performances had shown signs of promise prior to the squad being hit with covid.

But what really makes me think it would be harsh to sack Moore right now is that we've done this whilst suffering an injury crisis which has deprived us of our best attacker, our best (only) defensive midfielder, and three or four of our senior centre-backs for much of the season so far.

I keep reading that we have one of the strongest squads in the division on paper, but that's he only place they've appeared with any regularity thus far. Take the equivalent players away from any team and they're going to see a dip in form.

If we can get Windass, Luongo, and at least two of Iorfa, Hutchinson, Dunkley or Gibson on the pitch for the majority of our remaining games, then that should make the world of difference. If not, then we'll need to hope we can somehow recruit suitable replacements within the EFL's restrictions, which seems unlikely.

I won't lose any sleep if Moore is sacked - he'll just be the latest in a long line of managers to come and go at Hillsborough - but it would seem a bit harsh given the wider context in which he's managing.

15 wins in 44 so I read in an earlier piece about Moore,who let's be honest has been able to bring in mostly championship players,from last season,his man management must be horrific,as for injuries,same for all teams,we took him on after 5 straight defeats at Donny,he makes Bruce look like Alex Ferguson,and as for playing out from the back,ffs,get rid,or deffo stay in lge 1..imo...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, MARTY BOY said:

That is the epitome of Delusional. 

Agree..unbelievable faith or head in sand moment

We are awful and our league position come May will show that

2 minutes ago, brando said:

15 wins in 44 so I read in an earlier piece about Moore,who let's be honest has been able to bring in mostly championship players,from last season,his man management must be horrific,as for injuries,same for all teams,we took him on after 5 straight defeats at Donny,he makes Bruce look like Alex Ferguson,and as for playing out from the back,ffs,get rid,or deffo stay in lge 1..imo...

I'm no expert on the ins and outs of each squad, but are you sure it's the same for all teams?

How many other teams in the top ten of League One have had to play the majority of their games without their best attacker, without their best midfielder, and with only one senior centre back available? We've literally played matches with a right-back, a left winger and either a centre forward or a lad from the U23s as our defence!

6 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Too many draws kill you, it’s a fact of football. 

It's an absolute LIE of football, and even the most cursory research would confirm that without any doubt.

I've already demonstrated what nonsense it is based just upon the league we are in this campaign, so let's look at last season instead. You tell me what consistent pattern there is regarding the number of draws and final placings? Given your cliched myth, it ought to be a surprise that the team with the fewest finished next to bottom and the one with the most fourth.

Then once you've figured out there is no simple correlation in that one, go to the previous year and try again. Only problem is, the champions had more draws than all but one other team and the team with the fewest ended 18th. 

Alright then, go back another twelve months. Sorry - on that occasion only three clubs didn't register double figures. Four of the top six were among the highest. Those with the joint fewest finished 19th and bottom. the general distribution was an unpredictable scattering, as it usually is.

There is a far greater predictability when it comes to wins and losses though. Who would have thought it? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It's an absolute LIE of football, and even the most cursory research would confirm that without any doubt.

I've already demonstrated what nonsense it is based just upon the league we are in this campaign, so let's look at last season instead. You tell me what consistent pattern there is regarding the number of draws and final placings? Given your cliched myth, it ought to be a surprise that the team with the fewest finished next to bottom and the one with the most fourth.

Then once you've figured out there is no simple correlation in that one, go to the previous year and try again. Only problem is, the champions had more draws than all but one other team and the team with the fewest ended 18th. 

Alright then, go back another twelve months. Sorry - on that occasion only three clubs didn't register double figures. Four of the top six were among the highest. Those with the joint fewest finished 19th and bottom. the general distribution was an unpredictable scattering, as it usually is.

There is a far greater predictability when it comes to wins and losses though. Who would have thought it? 

Shut up you pompous kn*b.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Shut up you pompous kn*b.

I've always been fascinated by the psychology of someone who would rather dismiss documented and incontrovertible fact in exchange for ignorance, profanity and dishonesty, presumably because it hurts just too much to acknowledge they might have been in error.

The world today in microcosm. :dry:

• Like 1