EFL to scrap match day covid testing

ANDY

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's good in the sense that games will no longer be postponed at the last minute, but could it lead to greater transmission of covid between squads, and therefore more postponed games in the long run?

The guidance isn’t that you have to test every day though, even me working in NHS is 2 x weekly, so why do the fittest population in the country need to test more often for their work?

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

The guidance isn’t that you have to test every day though, even me working in NHS is 2 x weekly, so why do the fittest population in the country need to test more often for their work?

I thought the point was that they'll inevitably be mixing in close quarters with people they don't usually, which increases the potential spread of covid?

It was put in place to try and ensure an outbreak in one squad didn't spread to their opponents on a matchday, wasn't it?

52 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I thought the point was that they'll inevitably be mixing in close quarters with people they don't usually, which increases the potential spread of covid?

It was put in place to try and ensure an outbreak in one squad didn't spread to their opponents on a matchday, wasn't it?

These players will be out and about anyway so they’re still at risk of getting it, and so for a sight reduction in player to player cross infection they’re cancelling huge sporting events on the day, so I can see the logic about not doing it on the day. 

13 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

These players will be out and about anyway so they’re still at risk of getting it, and so for a sight reduction in player to player cross infection they’re cancelling huge sporting events on the day, so I can see the logic about not doing it on the day. 

As I said, I can see the thinking in terms of avoiding frustrating last minute postponements. It may also have been forced upon them, given the national shortage of tests right now, I suppose.

I just wonder whether the long-term impact might end up being more covid cases within football, and thus more postponements?

7 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

As I said, I can see the thinking in terms of avoiding frustrating last minute postponements. It may also have been forced upon them, given the national shortage of tests right now, I suppose.

I just wonder whether the long-term impact might end up being more covid cases within football, and thus more postponements?

There are lots of postponements anyway so they may not feel it’s been worth it to call them off on the day but I get what you’re saying. I don’t know what the open air transmission rates are like but I would imagine they’re substantially lower than indoors so might be another factor in favour of going on with the games

Guest Mad Mik
On 30/12/2021 at 12:12, Ellis Rimmer said:

Wtf as fitness got to do with transmission

Guest Mad Mik
2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Fitter=less likely to have bad reaction to covid

but they have to test more often than NHS workers

why the need?

It's about spreading and containing outbreaks, 

The NFL have done something similar

A memo, obtained by NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport, sent to all 32 teams states that fully vaccinated, asymptomatic individuals will no longer be subject to weekly testing. If a fully vaccinated player or staff member reports symptoms that person will immediately be isolated and tested, and will not be permitted to interact with any player or tiered staff until producing a negative test.

This makes sense to me and it should be the case everywhere. 

If you have no symptoms, carry on. If you do, test and isolate if positive. 

• Like 1