The North West Corner (crows nest?)

Used to go there quite a bit with my Dad before it was seating. I must have been 8 or so. We used to sit/ stand in different bits of the ground most weeks in the late 70s early 80s. It wasn’t a terrible view if you were stood quite far up the stand. The Northwest Corner has always fascinated me. It’s just such an oddity. I’d like to be able to sit or stand there at some point just to reminisce…

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Striggy said:

Yeah and need help to place the game. It was a night match v Liverpool about 40 years ago so no seating. Wicked night, cold wet and windy (the weather not me!) so got proper togged up.  Got crammed in like sardines, wind blew over top of us, taking the rain away and got hotter and hotter as game went on till nearly passed out. Think we won or drew 2-2

Snap that and I think a game v Man United around the same time.

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Striggy said:

Yeah and need help to place the game. It was a night match v Liverpool about 40 years ago so no seating. Wicked night, cold wet and windy (the weather not me!) so got proper togged up.  Got crammed in like sardines, wind blew over top of us, taking the rain away and got hotter and hotter as game went on till nearly passed out. Think we won or drew 2-2

Would have been the league cup wouldn’t it?

Like asteener I was up there for the 5-0 Burnley replay(1983). Missed Wednesday’s very earlier opener(Megson?) but a thoroughly enjoyable evening. On the bus back into town - lady of a certain age shouted out “C’mon Wednesday let’s have a bit of glory!” With Brighton to come in the semi - perhaps having not really had a cup run since 1966 & 1967 I thought perhaps this will be our year! Oh dear! Dreams dashed as per normal!

Went in a few times in 70s when I first started going. One I remember most was 1st Arsenal cup game in 79. Got sent in there by police. All game Arsenal kept trying to get through police to have a go, however did get pelted with ice balls. Scary for a young lad but not unusual on Leppings Lane end in those days. 

48 minutes ago, PortlandOwl said:

Remember standing up there when Villa brought about 20000 and took over the kop. Probably 1975 ish.

End of 74-75. I was 8 on also Leppings lane behind goal. Only owls I could see was me and my dad. No trouble, think they just felt sorry for me. They won 4-0 think it could have been 10. We were already down and think this was the game they clinched promotion 

8 minutes ago, bryan1966 said:

End of 74-75. I was 8 on also Leppings lane behind goal. Only owls I could see was me and my dad. No trouble, think they just felt sorry for me. They won 4-0 think it could have been 10. We were already down and think this was the game they clinched promotion 

They were already up. 

I was stood on kop and they were a bit of trouble in first half down front, nothing on scale of Man U game earlier in season though. 

1. Manchester United 42 17 3 1 45 12 9 6 6 21 18 61

2. Aston Villa 42 16 4 1 47 6 9 4 8 32 26 58

3. Norwich City 42 14 3 4 34 17 6 10 5 24 20 53

4. Sunderland 42 14 6 1 41 8 5 7 9 24 27 51