Wednesday's Windass Wants Wonderful Winter Waiting

18 minutes ago, thesouthowl said:

Too many meaningless international fixtures further congest domestic football.

Too many meaningless footballers and managers, many of which are foreign and don’t  appreciate the game in this country, should F off. Plenty of leagues around the world have a winter break. Play in one of them if you want a few weeks in Dubai over the winter months. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

Too many meaningless footballers and managers, many of which are foreign and don’t  appreciate the game in this country, should F off. Plenty of leagues around the world have a winter break. Play in one of them if you want a few weeks in Dubai over the winter months. 

Ralf made me laugh this week. Been in the country 5 minutes and already telling us to scrap the league cup, the cheeky fool. Ultimately these managers don’t give a stuff about the traditions of football in this country and it’s time we stopped indulging their moaning. Don’t like it go and manage in the farmers league in France on half the money. 

• Like 4

I’m not sure what he is saying makes much sense. He’s said that the reason for a “winter break” is due to supporters having games called off last minute, which while this is an inconvenience I don’t see how that will be helped by having a couple weeks off at Christmas. 

Sometimes I think Windass just likes to be controversial 

Just now, 0114 said:

I’m not sure what he is saying makes much sense. He’s said that the reason for a “winter break” is due to supporters having games called off last minute, which while this is an inconvenience I don’t see how that will be helped by having a couple weeks off at Christmas. 

He's not the brightest

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, 0114 said:

Nah he’s just thick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Ralf made me laugh this week. Been in the country 5 minutes and already telling us to scrap the league cup, the cheeky fool. Ultimately these managers don’t give a stuff about the traditions of football in this country and it’s time we stopped indulging their moaning. Don’t like it go and manage in the farmers league in France on half the money. 

Exactly , equivalent of me getting a job that includes doing night shifts then moaning to the boss that I don’t want to do them. If they don’t like it  manage in a different country or just don’t enter . They never moan about playing 6 champions league games and travelling all over Europe for them or try to get the 2 legged knockouts into 1 game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buck Rogers said:

The football season is ten months long, typically starting in August and ending in May.

Why not start the season off in Feb and ending in December?

Means we miss the most nasty winter months, have loads of games in mid summer where more people are inclined to come out and watch and spend money.

Imagine how nice it would be leaving a 7.45 game at Hillsborough still in your t-shirt to enjoy a beer in a balmy beer garden afterwards.

Pitches will be in better condition. 

World Cups can take place mid winter.

And when there's no word cup, we get a big winter break where fans aren't frozen to death or spreading germs on each other and players can be protected from injury.

Also means it fits nicely into one calendar year.

Because it wouldn't fit in with broadcast schedules. It's cricket for summer and football for winter.

Cricketers aren't daft, they picked the summer.  They have a nice schedule, start mid morning then have a break for drinks, nice dinner at the proper time then afternoon tea and finish at a sensible time to get home just after the wife has put the kids to bed. What a life. Do you think they are going to let football spoil that. Football is for the lower classes, cricket is fot the toffs, that's why we play in winter. lol

39 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We should have had a winter break this year with the virus. Too many games postponed, teams playing catch-up, teams having to play with depleted numbers. Hardly creates a level playing field.

But in normal times, Christmas football is the best. 

So when should this break start and end? Different teams have/will be affected at different times. It's simply not workable.

10 minutes ago, prowl said:

Because it wouldn't fit in with broadcast schedules. It's cricket for summer and football for winter.

Cricketers aren't daft, they picked the summer.  They have a nice schedule, start mid morning then have a break for drinks, nice dinner at the proper time then afternoon tea and finish at a sensible time to get home just after the wife has put the kids to bed. What a life. Do you think they are going to let football spoil that. Football is for the lower classes, cricket is fot the toffs, that's why we play in winter. lol

Cricketers, and tennisers, are also big soft jessies who won't play if there's a little bit of rain. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Amazing how people criticise and mock ladies football for the viewing figures/attendances yet Cricket is still allowed 

I mean it's not like rain dosn't change the fundamental aspect that you can't actually play cricket on a wet pitch. 

And the toff comment, less said about that the better.

Edited by Maddogbob

Just now, Maddogbob said:

I mean it's not like rain dosn't change the fundamental that you can't actually play cricket on a wet pitch. 

I wasn't referring to that though really

What I mean is there's less people care about Cricket than footy

Put em head to head - let's have the football and cricket seasons running side by side and see what happens to cricket

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I wasn't referring to that though really

What I mean is there's less people care about Cricket than footy

Put em head to head - let's have the football and cricket seasons running side by side and see what happens to cricket

It would kill the grassroots elements. That's for sure. It would also make clubs homeless that play on council pitches.

So you would be forcing one out. 

Now if we had more space and invested in pitches for football use, that might be doable.

It's the reason the season finishes in April grassroots football wise, as councils start to prepare pitches for cricket. Kids and adults then go off and play cricket. (If they play both) both mine are now showing interest in cricket (7 and 10).

Now if you add in the fact that folks would then be forced to choose between both, ie playing at the same time, you'd struggle to field teams. Then it becomes a farce.

I enjoy both. Quite like the way it runs now.

Edited by Maddogbob

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Absolutely spot on. These foreign managers know how our game works, if they don't like it they should go somewhere else to be overpaid.

• Like 1