Four years ago to the day since Carlos….

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

He was a Car Salesman 

And good at it too

We all believed he had sold us a Tesla

In the end we wanted our money back 

Speak for yourself.

I had a 3 year ST.

I only wanted my money back on the 3rd season when he got sacked.

Same story in the 60s with Buckingham and 90s with Francis.  We've had loads of rubbish managers in the 65 years I've been going but Carlos wasnt one of them.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 24/12/2021 at 16:55, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The way we set up for those games was dictated by the manager at the time.

You can't expect an individual player to start going gung-ho when the obvious gameplan was to keep things tight and look to nick a goal - they'd be subbed off and bombed out of the squad before they knew it.

Carvalhal was delighted with the 0-0, in which we mustered zero shots on target: and had 31% possession:

"It is a positive result. If you go away in the play-off semi-final and you return to play the home game at 0-0, it is very, very positive."

At the time, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought bringing them back to Hillsborough with the scores level was a sensible approach, as I assumed we'd really go for them in the second leg.

Alas, we managed only three shots on target in the 120 minutes of the second leg...meaning we ended 210 minutes of football against Huddersfield Town with a grand total of three shots on target.

😳

Ok. Youve answered that in a sensible and methodical way. 

But Wednesdayites seem to think we had some sort of divine right to beat little 'tinpot' Huddersfield.  According to one poster, Reading were 'there for the taking' in the final.

Are we pretending to be Leeds in disguise?

Wednesday are nobodies outside of Sheffield.  We were lucky that a bloke who managed Galatasaray and Sporting agreed to coach us.  

Sorry to upset some, but the 'massive' thing is embarrassing.  

Having big support means nothing nowadays  Ask Newcastle and Villa.  

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Ok. Youve answered that in a sensible and methodical way. 

But Wednesdayites seem to think we had some sort of divine right to beat little 'tinpot' Huddersfield.  According to one poster, Reading were 'there for the taking' in the final.

Are we pretending to be Leeds in disguise?

Wednesday are nobodies outside of Sheffield.  We were lucky that a bloke who managed Galatasaray and Sporting agreed to coach us.  

Sorry to upset some, but the 'massive' thing is embarrassing.  

Having big support means nothing nowadays  Ask Newcastle and Villa.  

Not a divine right at all; I just think we had a stonger team than them and should have played on the front foot more than we did.

• Like 3

That Huddersfield side was better than a few on here acknowledge. They were better than us in the league that season (after 44 games they were in 3rd, 3 points above us, we only overtook them when they rested their players for the final two games of the season when automatic promotion had become out of reach). And they stayed up in the Premier League the next season with a similar squad.

Yeah, I would have liked to have seen a more attacking approach. But who's to say they wouldn't have picked us apart and beaten us 2-0 at home if we had attacked more?

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
20 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

That Huddersfield side was better than a few on here acknowledge. They were better than us in the league that season (after 44 games they were in 3rd, 3 points above us, we only overtook them when they rested their players for the final two games of the season when automatic promotion had become out of reach). And they stayed up in the Premier League the next season with a similar squad.

Yeah, I would have liked to have seen a more attacking approach. But who's to say they wouldn't have picked us apart and beaten us 2-0 at home if we had attacked more?

Well we finished 4th and they finished 5th plus we beat them twice so you could argue we were better over the season. And we rested players in the final game as well

They had a negative goal difference too which is kind of unheard of for a play off side. 

On paper we were the better side. In the first years play offs the bookies had us as 4th favourites. Second year we were 2nd favourites behind Fulham so when Reading knocked them out it was disappointing to not go up.

When you have attacking options like Forestieri, Hooper, Fletcher, Joao, Rhodes.. it’s frustrating to play containing football. Huddersfield and Reading didn’t have as good a forward players.. they had Izzy Brown and Kachunga!

39 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well we finished 4th and they finished 5th plus we beat them twice so you could argue we were better over the season. And we rested players in the final game as well

They also came 16th in the Premier League the next season. We finished 15th in the Championship.

• Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
10 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

They also came 16th in the Premier League the next season. We finished 15th in the Championship.

Well that’s kind of irrelevant really as a comparison because it’s a different season, a different team.. and it’s not like we could finish above them when they won promotion and we didn’t 

On 24/12/2021 at 09:04, Wednesday_Jack said:

totally agree and even if your pro Carlos or not (there is a split view)…he cost us the playoff semi final game at home to Huddersfield. 

Agreed on split view. did cost us play off semi-final absolutely, but also gave me some of the best Wednesday memories I'd had for a long long time.  At the time I probably didn't realise it either because I was so desperate for us to get back to the prem and so annoyed when it went ******** up.

will be very interesting to see how we will feel about it in another 5 years time or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

I 100% agree.

Carlos tactics saw us beat Huddersfield twice in the league without conceding a goal.

I don’t think any other side managed that.

It was dull but effective.

In the second leg of the play off semi’s Huddersfield had a massive slice of unexpected fortune when Quarner (?) came on as sub on the wing & toasted Pudil.

If it wasn’t for that I think we would’ve gone on & won it.

But like others have said its much better to see us go out & attack teams.

We had some memorable moments under Carlos, it’s just a shame there weren’t more of them.

2 hours ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

I 100% agree.

Carlos tactics saw us beat Huddersfield twice in the league without conceding a goal.

I don’t think any other side managed that.

It was dull but effective.

In the second leg of the play off semi’s Huddersfield had a massive slice of unexpected fortune when Quarner (?) came on as sub on the wing & toasted Pudil.

If it wasn’t for that I think we would’ve gone on & won it.

But like others have said its much better to see us go out & attack teams.

We had some memorable moments under Carlos, it’s just a shame there weren’t more of them.

He screwed a great attacking team with negative backwards/side to side football with the idea of a single goal win objective... So screwed our results as we lacked the players to suite his tactics, as we were better going forward than defending... In terms of the Huddersfield game we were the better team and literally screwed ourselves out of the PL by gifting it to them tactically... So after that he lost the dressing room and the rest is history... 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Which was the ONE season though?

Finishing 6th and Wembley or....

Finishing 4th and winning 6 of our last 7 league matches.

Genuine question.  

6th the only genuine chance of promotion and learning nothing from it, as prooved?. in the 2nd season on.

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We had great times thanks to the quality of squad we brought to the club

But

All that money squandered and wasted, and most importantly Carlos left us lower in the league than the day he arrived 

Fine line between success and failure . We gambled and lost, well DC did 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

We had great times thanks to the quality of squad we brought to the club

But

All that money squandered and wasted, and most importantly Carlos left us lower in the league than the day he arrived 

According to Westwood he also had injured players given pain killing injections so that they could play in matches.

When you look at the long term injuries the likes of Hooper, Lee, Westwood, Hutchinson, Forestieri and Bannan had in the following years and think about how useful it would’ve been to have these players available during our decline over that period, it really does raise the question of the impact this practice had on our horrendous injury record when he left the club.

• Love 1