Lewis Baker

mcmigo

20 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

To be fair is it a bad life?

26 years old, played a decent bit albeit on loan. Had the experience of living in Holland, Germany, Turkey and Milton Keynes. 

Probably on a good contract and would have to take a big pay cut to play regular first team football elsewhere. 

It’s obviously not a bad life but relative to the expectations on him when he signed for us it’s absolutely dire.

as for blaming pitch, maybe it seemed like that at the time but looking at his career now it’s just he wasn’t good enough

these big contracts Chelsea like to put englands future on ruin the drive of these players. 

25 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

It’s obviously not a bad life but relative to the expectations on him when he signed for us it’s absolutely dire.

as for blaming pitch, maybe it seemed like that at the time but looking at his career now it’s just he wasn’t good enough

these big contracts Chelsea like to put englands future on ruin the drive of these players. 

I’m not blaming the pitch mate, I’m just anecdotally saying it was dreadful at the time.

He’s not the only young player who’s not quite lived up to expectations. Maybe too much pressure put on him at a young age? Coupled with the fact the intake of youngsters below him just happened to be far better footballers.

Dire is a bit of a stretch. 

28 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Also drive?

Ruining the drive? Mason Mount, Reece James, Tammy Abraham, Callum Hudson Odoi, Trevor Chalobah, Conor Gallagher, Fikayo Tomori. I don’t think drive is the problem here. The lad simply just didn’t turn out as good as they expected. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Also drive?

Ruining the drive? Mason Mount, Reece James, Tammy Abraham, Callum Hudson Odoi, Trevor Chalobah, Conor Gallagher, Fikayo Tomori. I don’t think drive is the problem here. The lad simply just didn’t turn out as good as they expected. 

For teams like us, signing a youth player like the above is a gamble. At 5k a week, 250k a year for teams like Chelsea it's a punt if it doesn't work out find another.

20 minutes ago, darra said:

For teams like us, signing a youth player like the above is a gamble. At 5k a week, 250k a year for teams like Chelsea it's a punt if it doesn't work out find another.

I’ve actually just read an article on Baker in the Athletic. Quite a good read. Appears to me he’s been pretty unlucky. Signed a long term 5 year deal at Chelsea in 2017 after a brilliant loan spell in Holland only for Conte to go and sign Drinkwater, Barkley and Bakayoko the same summer while they already had Kante and Fabregas in their midfield! Then ended up on loan at Boro who were managed by Monk and Pulis - poor lad.

He went on loan to Leeds which is the only question mark for me. Under a coach like Bielsa, a player with his talent you’d think would excel but he didn’t.

Attitude or ability doesn’t seem to be the problem. Victim of circumstance and unfortunately the sheer amount of quality Chelsea sign and the lad has to compete with. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Also drive?

Well you can take Hudson Odoi out of there as any sort of success so far as he’s going the same way. But loads more have gone to do nothing bearing in mind that these players may have had a better chance if they were at clubs that were more careful with their youth 

42 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Also drive?

For everyone of those

You also have playersike Baker, Hector, Piazon, and many many more who I can't be arsed to name. 

Could also argue that the likes of Charlton Cole, Loftus Cheek, Hudson Odoi have not fulfilled their potential 

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Played over 60 games for Viteese, season before last played in the Bundesliga and last season he played for over 30 games Trabzonspor who finished 4th in the top flight of the Turkish league. Add to that he's played a decent amount of games in the championship top.

Comical to even suggest he's had a 'dire' career. Pïsses all over our best players career achievements.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

For everyone of those

You also have playersike Baker, Hector, Piazon, and many many more who I can't be arsed to name. 

Could also argue that the likes of Charlton Cole, Loftus Cheek, Hudson Odoi have not fulfilled their potential 

But my argument is that it isn’t to do with drive or work ethic. Just some youngsters are better than others and circumstance and timing plays a big role. Would Mount and James be Chelsea regulars now if they didn’t have that transfer ban and Lampard was forced to give them opportunities? You could argue if Baker had broke through a few years later he might have had a better career.

Hudson Odoi is still 21 and been playing regularly in recent weeks. Loftus Cheek is getting game time this season and has quite a few England caps. Don’t think they fall into the category of not lived up to potential.

7 minutes ago, 0742 said:

Played over 60 games for Viteese, season before last played in the Bundesliga and last season he played for over 30 games Trabzonspor who finished 4th in the top flight of the Turkish league. Add to that he's played a decent amount of games in the championship top.

Comical to even suggest he's had a 'dire' career. Pïsses all over our best players career achievements.

Relative to expectations, he was the next big thing at one point. Obviously if you play a career in football it’s absolutely fantastic at any level compared to the normal bloke on the street.

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

Signed for Stoke after 17 years at Chelsea

No further Lewis Baker updates from me.  

I'm really surprised he's done that, unless he was under pressure from Chelsea to go permanently. 

Ok, he has been here, Middlesborough and Leeds ...but Stoke is a dire place. 

This is almost like a ' giving up' move..yeah it's football and he will be on a decent wedge, but to finally give up being a Chelsea player and living in the smoke, to play for Stoke, ...can't see his heart being in it at all. 

48 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I'm really surprised he's done that, unless he was under pressure from Chelsea to go permanently. 

Ok, he has been here, Middlesborough and Leeds ...but Stoke is a dire place. 

This is almost like a ' giving up' move..yeah it's football and he will be on a decent wedge, but to finally give up being a Chelsea player and living in the smoke, to play for Stoke, ...can't see his heart being in it at all. 

Not sure how you’re seeing it that way? If anything going to Stoke shows the lad just wants to play football. Not the most glamorous move but he will get games which he needs.

Fair play to him.