Lewis Baker

mcmigo

Remember this guy - on loan under Stuart Gray, maybe played for us for a month - looked solid.  Made his Chelsea debut the season before we had him on loan.

He is now 26 years old - ridiculously he is still at Chelsea and hasn't played for them once since he was on loan with us!  What sort of a messed up model is that?   He nearly played the other night due to the COVID cases but didn't in the end.  I guess goalies espec when they are older get used to being sub and not playing e.g. Lee Grant at Man Utd - but for this guy it has just been loan spells his whole career when they manage to do a deal for him.

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Remember this guy - on loan under Stuart Gray, maybe played for us for a month - looked solid.  Made his Chelsea debut the season before we had him on loan.

He is now 26 years old - ridiculously he is still at Chelsea and hasn't played for them once since he was on loan with us!  What sort of a messed up model is that?   He nearly played the other night due to the COVID cases but didn't in the end.  I guess goalies espec when they are older get used to being sub and not playing e.g. Lee Grant at Man Utd - but for this guy it has just been loan spells his whole career when they manage to do a deal for him.

According to Jason Cundy a few years ago they are all earning around £20-30k a week so not all bad.

• Like 1

I don't remember him at all.  This shows what a farce football has become. he's been a Chelsea player for nearly 10 years and NEVER played a game.  At £5,000 a week (just a guess) he's probably "earnt" between 2 and 3 million pounds. If he's invested wisely he will retire a millionaire having never played a game for his club. Bizarre.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mcmigo said:

A wasted career. Has not played for Chelsea since 13/14 season ( he played 30 mins in a league  cup game )  and is still there.

Because Chelsea’s model is a lot about owning players and sending them out for a season and making money that way. 

at Wednesday all our players are to hopefully help the first team or develop for the first team

they have players to make them money that have no chance of ever making first team 

15 hours ago, Django said:

I would imagine that a lot of young footballers are more bothered about the money and the status and all that comes with life as a footballer instead of the ambition to achieve anything 

Oreyt for some innit.

I'd gladly take a ton a money for doing nothing. 😆

• Like 1

I remember when we signed him there was a quote from Mourinho saying if he didn't play for England he would have failed him. I guess he failed him. Don't remember him being solid though, he looked to be out of his depth and not surprised to see him sign for a league 1 side on loan after us

I think the model of football has changed a lot, as have the roles of players. The ‘squad player’ is more and more popular amongst the big boys 

These younger players don’t seem to mind staying at a big PL club while having some decent loans here and there, probably while pocketing £5-10k per week 

Not the worst life I’d imagine 

• Like 2

I remember he rocked up and Chelsea probably thought why the feck did we send this kid here. The pitch was absolutely atrocious in the final months under Mandaric. Not sure how we didn’t have broken ankles throughout the playing squad.

Also recall Mourinho in an interview saying he only has himself to blame if Baker and Izzy Brown don’t become England players. Well…

Back then Chelsea were producing a lot of young players who flattered to deceive. They got it right in recent years mind with the likes of Mount, James, Hudson Odoi, Abraham etc.

2 hours ago, Birstall Owl said:

Did tickle me yesterday when he was listed as being one of Chelsea's unavailable players for the game against Brentford last night

At 26 I think playing for Chelsea that ship has sailed.

image.png.3d7cab90412aa56acbbfef6a702c689c.png

To be fair is it a bad life?

26 years old, played a decent bit albeit on loan. Had the experience of living in Holland, Germany, Turkey and Milton Keynes. 

Probably on a good contract and would have to take a big pay cut to play regular first team football elsewhere.