The Beatles

Hitcat

Guest Mad Mik

Knowing the history behind some of their songs gives you a bigger picture,, As " back in the USSR " is a pop at the beach boys.... Or knowing how much Lennon hated Peter Fonda and his massive ego that Lennon wrote "she said she said" the day after Fonda told the boys basically they were young naive and nothing 😂... My top ten fav songs are always changing as I grow. But "yesterday" always remains poignant , but "don't let me down " should be our fav because "The Owls " always funking do.🤔

On 23/12/2021 at 13:57, fredmciverslovechild said:

Ringo was a phenomenal drummer; invariably his drumming was understated but perfect for the sound they wanted to create.

Absolutely!

One thing I love about Ringos drum tracks is that when you hear Beatles songs covered by other bands, 95% of the time they sound wrong, mainly because the drummer is playing his parts wrong.

Being left handed but playing a right handed kit gave him a unique approach to the instrument. 

To answer the OP, I've always loved Ticket to Ride, the drum pattern is very clever.

28 minutes ago, Wing Back said:

Absolutely!

One thing I love about Ringos drum tracks is that when you hear Beatles songs covered by other bands, 95% of the time they sound wrong, mainly because the drummer is playing his parts wrong.

Being left handed but playing a right handed kit gave him a unique approach to the instrument. 

To answer the OP, I've always loved Ticket to Ride, the drum pattern is very clever.

That's a good point about using the "wrong" kit. I never realised he was actually left handed until I watched Get Back and saw how he would invariably hold drinks in his left hand and read up. Ringo just has that sound when playing which no one else can emulate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

That's a good point about using the "wrong" kit. I never realised he was actually left handed until I watched Get Back and saw how he would invariably hold drinks in his left hand and read up. Ringo just has that sound when playing which no one else can emulate.

Yeah, 'Come Together' being a prime example. 

Starts on the Hi-Hat then 'runs up' from the floor tom to his racked. Simple but no other drummer playing the 'correct' way would have come up with that.

On 18/12/2021 at 22:39, pauli said:

The Mambo infused, Reggae version of "Twist and Shout" by Chaka Demus & Pliers.

Honest.

They took a raucous pop anthem and made it into joyous, fizzy Caribbean fun. Probably not what Lennon was imagining when he wrote it.

I love the Beatles and have all their records.

The most respected record label in Jazz is Blue Note. They have an awesome back catalogue and they also love the Beatles.

Blue Note Plays the Beatles. 

835160388_ScreenShot2021-12-18at23_27_03.png.6416cf169b0c5d000a0cab53f544f2cc.png

165 € for the CD on Amazon - I saw a used copy for 6.00 € recently. 

I love Blue Note Records.

I’d love to know when John Lennon wrote Twist and shout 😉

• Like 1

In answer to the question. Wow that’s tough. I would say their tour de force is 

A day in the life.

So so many great songs. 
Tomorrow never knows

For no one

While my Guitar gently weeps

This Boy

If i fell

Every little thing

Strawberry fields

Nowhere man

I could go on and on.