Sailing

Neon Nick

21 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

Anybody sail?  It's a sport for sure...

Don't sail but went to the Americas cup 2013 in San Francisco. Was out on the water following the final and deciding race.

Team Oracle USA, had been down 8 -1 I think in a best of 17. Ben somebody (British Olympian) was skipper for Oracle and he won the deciding race to win 9 - 8. The speed and size of those catamarans is unbelievable. Was a great experience.

• Like 1

Yes,  Oracle is a great Crew, because Larry Ellison ( owner/founder) of Oracle, is a fine Sailor in his own right.  The British are renowned for their maritime skills, to this hour, think Ellison is Australian though...close enough.

Money talks in sailing too,  and it talks louder the higher up the Tiers you go.  It costs Premier League money to compete in such an event as the Americas Cup,  maybe more,  and you'll never make a profit.

On 18/12/2021 at 23:42, Señor Sam said:

Don't sail but went to the Americas cup 2013 in San Francisco. Was out on the water following the final and deciding race.

Team Oracle USA, had been down 8 -1 I think in a best of 17. Ben somebody (British Olympian) was skipper for Oracle and he won the deciding race to win 9 - 8. The speed and size of those catamarans is unbelievable. Was a great experience.

Ben Ainsley

• Thanks 1

Our boat is an Island Packet 420,  bought new back in '03, going to sell it if none of the kids want it...after ~20 years we just want a new boat, and it will be a formal Cutter Rig,  full-keeled and set up for cruising, same as the last.

I'm really liking what I see from Spirit Yachts,  there in, Ipswich, of all places.  Spirit will build a full-keel, traditional Cutter,  but they only work in wood,  not fiberglass.  I've no problem with wood, fiberglass has it's problems too.

Anyway,  do you sail @Greengrass?

6 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

Our boat is an Island Packet 420,  bought new back in '03, going to sell it if none of the kids want it...after ~20 years we just want a new boat, and it will be a formal Cutter Rig,  full-keeled and set up for cruising, same as the last.

I'm really liking what I see from Spirit Yachts,  there in, Ipswich, of all places.  Spirit will build a full-keel, traditional Cutter,  but they only work in wood,  not fiberglass.  I've no problem with wood, fiberglass has it's problems too.

Anyway,  do you sail @Greengrass?

Done very little yacht sailing. The stuff I did was a mate hired a yacht every year at  Cowes. So about 4 hours up and down the Solent.

However, did dinghy racing for 25 years to a decent level. (Similar to the boats they sail in the Olympics). 

Raced 505's, Fireballs, Solos, Enterprises to name a few over the years.

Not raced for over 10 years.

15 hours ago, Greengrass said:

Done very little yacht sailing. The stuff I did was a mate hired a yacht every year at  Cowes. So about 4 hours up and down the Solent.

However, did dinghy racing for 25 years to a decent level. (Similar to the boats they sail in the Olympics). 

Raced 505's, Fireballs, Solos, Enterprises to name a few over the years.

Not raced for over 10 years.

'Ah yes, the 505, what great boat, not all that small for a dinghy.   Lot's of them here, it's quite something to see them racing, they seem very seaworthy, and the more wind the better, I see them in even 20 knots of wind, moving fast close-hauled, or reaching, it just doesn't matter.  They carry a lot of sail for such a small Sloop.  I have never sailed one.

The Solent.  I'd like to sail there, very historical.  These days in America the Solent rig is all the rage,  most makers offer it as an option on Sloops and Cutters, and it does offer a lot, but I still like my Cutter with a staysail rather than a Solent, that staysail is just handy when you're in weather.  You'll see a lot of Solent rigged Sloops and Cutters here.

Do you still have your 505?

7 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

'Ah yes, the 505, what great boat, not all that small for a dinghy.   Lot's of them here, it's quite something to see them racing, they seem very seaworthy, and the more wind the better, I see them in even 20 knots of wind, moving fast close-hauled, or reaching, it just doesn't matter.  They carry a lot of sail for such a small Sloop.  I have never sailed one.

The Solent.  I'd like to sail there, very historical.  These days in America the Solent rig is all the rage,  most makers offer it as an option on Sloops and Cutters, and it does offer a lot, but I still like my Cutter with a staysail rather than a Solent, that staysail is just handy when you're in weather.  You'll see a lot of Solent rigged Sloops and Cutters here.

Do you still have your 505?

Can anybody translate this please? 😃😃

• Haha 1

On 22/12/2021 at 05:09, Greengrass said:

Sold it ages ago (like cars never make anything).

505 very popular in USA / Australia. Seriously quick in a breeze. Rules changed to allow bigger spinnaker which made them quicker. Very technical  & rare to find two the same (the way they are fitted out).

Yes,  I read where a 505 ( in a race ) is allowed to fly a 27 square meter ( 290.63 square feet ) spinnaker,  up from the old 220 square feet. All I can say is...wow, it's not like they were slow with the smaller spinnaker.  That alone is a lot of sail, for what is fundamentally a miniature Sloop.

To put that in perspective,  the mainsail on our Island Packet 420, is 400 square feet.  That's on a boat that displaces 30,000 lbs., not 300.  Now, you well know that the big spinnaker is not the only sail flown on a 505. 505's carry, or can, depending on the sailor,  at least half (anyway) of the amount of sail ( 1200 square feet ) carried on our IP420.  It's no wonder that a 505 actually gets up on plane in 10 knots of wind.  You will never see an IP420, up on plane, even on a beam reach in a hurricane.

Might as well go sailing, looks like it might be Covid Season 2.  Just as Wednesday had some momentum going.....

12 minutes ago, scram said:

Wouldn't fancy my chances in one of those on a windy day in The Solent...

Two points Scram,

1. No one would notice your squeaky bum with the jets going.

2. The Dolby stereo and strobing lights would keep the Red Funnel ferries well away.

We can all look for problems ffs..

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1