Forget Defenders in Transfer Window - We Need Goalscorers /Goal Makers

I know this isn't the received wisdom but my view is that if we want a chance at the automatics this year we need more of a goal threat. Left backs and centre halves wont make much of a difference to results IMO. This season has taught us that we have enough decent players to stick in positions and they can do a job. The one position where that doesn't work is up front. 

Gregory is doing really well obviously, but looking at the stats on our goal threats (FBRef) in comparison to Rotherham and others we haven't enough up top to challenge. There is a reason we have drawn so many despite being the 'better' side, we just dont make and convert in sufficient quantities. Has anyone scored a brace for us?

I think Moore expected Shodipo to be a major contributor, but last season seems to be a fluke. Berahino was a gamble that hasn't worked. Kamberi has scored a few but made none. Paterson is wholehearted but inconsistent and hardly scores. Corbeanu is promising and has done his bit, but only 19.

Josh Windass coming back gives us a massive boost but we need another striker in as cover for Gregory and to partner up with him at times too. 

Edited by Nero
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Yes think we are covered in defence with Brennan and Galvin as cover. Mendez Laing will be good for us.

We need to move out Brown, Sow and Berahino then get three more in as replacements

How do we move them out exactly?

Been saying this for ages but,just get shot down on how brilliant Gregory is blah blah blah.I admit he's best of a crap bunch of forwards and am glad to Windass back as I think he will be the difference between making playoffs or not.To many draws im guessing already for autos but,fingers crossed that a couple of teams implode and we keep up our form to put pressure on..IMO...

UTO...

Scoring enough goals has been a problem for some time. Like quite a few of our issues, they won’t be sorted overnight. A goalscoring midfielder is what we could do with but I don’t see us picking up one this season. We’ll probably score around 60 goals which will be par for us, we just need to be strong at the back which I think we will be.

I think they said at the weekend on sky, Bannan has scored just 2 goals in a year, Wing has 1 in 20 off games, FBD and Adenrian have a few between them but when you look there is not enough goals from midfield.

Your forwards should be getting you 40 goals, your midfield getting at least 20-30 and defence chipping in with 10.

add to this a defence that concedes less than a goal a game over the season and you will be top 6.

our problem has been the managers team set up, changing formation to fit teams instead of playing the strongest line up to win games. We are playing Accrington Stanley, Cheltenham and Rotherham - we are not playing Real Madrid or Manchester United. We should be imposing out style on other teams not changing tactics every week to fit theirs.

• Love 1

I think there’s a genuine danger of Windass going in the window which would be crippling to our chances of going up. Totally agree more firepower is needed but goal scoring midfielders are at a premium and 20+ goal strikers even harder to sign for free! Berahino was a punt but I’ve seen no signs of it working out. 
Our best hope is holding onto Windass come what may and crossing our fingers he stays fit and hits form. But an offer of over £3million might be too tempting to turn down?

1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

Can certainly  see adenrian and bashiru contributing serveral more this season.

Agreed, particularly on Adeniran before he got injured. Hope he comes back soon! Dele-Bashiru looks to be improving game on game so I am hopeful he will start to get on the end of some chances soon.