COVID Chaos

Guest mrbluesky
45 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Deffo yes

Can’t see footy continuing as normal for long 

This, I'd be surprised Saturday's game is on, tbh.

1 hour ago, Tea Baggins said:

I’m 38 and just got my official invite for the 3rd booster and it’s not until the 29th.

Plenty won’t have had the opportunity yet.

So they may not be irresponsible or idiots, just young.

Isn't that the same thing. lol

6 hours ago, Plonk said:

Well the health minister on sky news on Sunday said there are now 16000 cases in the uk and that due to the infectious nature of the variant that figure will double every 2/3 days. That’s the entire population infected within around four weeks. 

I don’t usually get involved with this sort of stuff (covid & politics etc.) but on this occasion I have been trying to keep up to speed with things to try and understand the situation….do you trust these stats?? 

within the space of a week the delta variant no longer exists and omicron as totally taken over 🤷🏼‍♂️

sadly you cannot see past a new year lock down of some sort!! 

7 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I don’t usually get involved with this sort of stuff (covid & politics etc.) but on this occasion I have been trying to keep up to speed with things to try and understand the situation….do you trust these stats?? 

within the space of a week the delta variant no longer exists and omicron as totally taken over 🤷🏼‍♂️

sadly you cannot see past a new year lock down of some sort!! 

It's simple - the Omicron variant is incredibly ridiculously infectious and doubles the number of infected every two or three days

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

so that means the Delta variant as just disappeared?? 

Seriously it’s a genuine question

No it's not disappeared but Omicron could take over for sure

@StudentOwl has explained it really well in the dressing room section in the Covid thread

"I don't think that there is any doubt that Omicron will be the 'end of Covid' in terms of this is exactly the type of strain that out-competes the seemingly more harmful Delta and offers widespread immunity without a horrific death toll. I said I'd await the data before jumping to conclusions - I've checked the data in the tweet LondonOwl shared and it tallies with my early impressions - tentatively, and hopefully not prematurely, the characteristics of this strain are ideal for transitioning out of harmful pandemic to bothersome-but-not-crippling endemic.

The issue for us in the Northern Hemisphere at least is that it has arrived in our winter, and the more worrisome prospect for us UK-based people is it comes to a health service that looks like its stepping out of the ring after 9 rounds with Mike Tyson. I'll say it again for about the third time in as many days, risk mitigation needs to be the consideration. 

Once we are past winter though, I think the UK will be in a really good spot - hopefully the rest of the world (particularly those with a relatively much lower vaccination rate) is too. For all the months of people saying "we need to let the virus rip through the population for induced immunity" while Delta has been claiming lots of lives... this variant is perhaps the one where we really do need to do just that. All we need to do is ensure the vulnerable are protected and the healthcare system are in a good place to manage the effects of that. 

Looking forward to another week of data from SA and a few other gathered points from countries in the Northern Hemisphere - particularly Western Europe - to paint a clearer picture, but that's tentatively where I think we're at. If the vaccine was the end of the beginning, this is the beginning of the end. "

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

6 hours ago, Plonk said:

Well the health minister on sky news on Sunday said there are now 16000 cases in the uk and that due to the infectious nature of the variant that figure will double every 2/3 days. That’s the entire population infected within around four weeks. 

In which case we should be over the worst of it by February. 

Until the next mutation. 

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

@StudentOwl has explained it really well in the dressing room section in the Covid thread

"I don't think that there is any doubt that Omicron will be the 'end of Covid' in terms of this is exactly the type of strain that out-competes the seemingly more harmful Delta and offers widespread immunity without a horrific death toll. I said I'd await the data before jumping to conclusions - I've checked the data in the tweet LondonOwl shared and it tallies with my early impressions - tentatively, and hopefully not prematurely, the characteristics of this strain are ideal for transitioning out of harmful pandemic to bothersome-but-not-crippling endemic.

The issue for us in the Northern Hemisphere at least is that it has arrived in our winter, and the more worrisome prospect for us UK-based people is it comes to a health service that looks like its stepping out of the ring after 9 rounds with Mike Tyson. I'll say it again for about the third time in as many days, risk mitigation needs to be the consideration. 

Once we are past winter though, I think the UK will be in a really good spot - hopefully the rest of the world (particularly those with a relatively much lower vaccination rate) is too. For all the months of people saying "we need to let the virus rip through the population for induced immunity" while Delta has been claiming lots of lives... this variant is perhaps the one where we really do need to do just that. All we need to do is ensure the vulnerable are protected and the healthcare system are in a good place to manage the effects of that. 

Looking forward to another week of data from SA and a few other gathered points from countries in the Northern Hemisphere - particularly Western Europe - to paint a clearer picture, but that's tentatively where I think we're at. If the vaccine was the end of the beginning, this is the beginning of the end. "

Cheers for posting this. I'll go have a look in the thread but nice to see it here, almost gives me a little bit of hope. Which as Wednesday fans is worrying. 😂 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Owls2k said:

If fans are stopped from going in many clubs may see real real trouble.

many clubs are already in serious trouble as there income this season was used to roll over last season . no club without a billionaire can survive another stoppage of fans , and same goes for a lot of other businesses . the gov handouts which ran into 100s of billions was totally unsustainable and im sure there has been fraud at unheard of levels . there are about 80 tory mps who will vote against covid passports my guess is if they try to push restrictions too far the gov will collapse , if it was upto whitty and patty we would be locked down now ,all under house arrest etc etc 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, morganowl said:

if it was upto whitty and patty we would be locked down now ,all under house arrest etc etc 

If they'd recommended that then we might be

They haven't

So we're not

So - to put it bluntly - STOP POSTING SHEEEEITE 

(and stop reading ya nannan's facebook)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Owlstalk Shop

50 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So based on this explanation it’s the consensus that it’s a weaker strain with less impact on people, which in turn as less of an impact on the NHS etc…

Are the published figures/data that show the survival rate somewhere between 99.1% - 99.5% something like accurate?? 

im not an “anti vaxer” as I’m doubled jabbed but for some reason I am more reluctant to have the booster than I was the jabs. I just feel like we are in the “middle of a script” so to speak and there is an element of control behind this booster rather than it been for the right reasons. 

We live in a democracy and for me it is still a personal choice and I have no issues with people either been fully committed to the jab/booster or not. Wether you’re jabbed or not you can still pass the virus in the same manner. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

im not an “anti vaxer” as I’m doubled jabbed but for some reason I am more reluctant to have the booster than I was the jabs. I just feel like we are in the “middle of a script” so to speak and there is an element of control behind this booster rather than it been for the right reasons.  

I'm sure there are others thinking the same mate

Not sure what you mean by 'control' exactly - sounds like the sort of thing Right Said Fred might tweet

Quite simply the Omicron spreads more rapidly and quickly than anything we've seen before. It may well be milder than Delta Variant but the fact it can rip through the country so quickly means more people will have it, and therefore more vulnerable people will be hospitalised, meaning the NHS will simply not be able to cope.

That's all really in a nutshell

Get your third - get yourself protected - stop worrying

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

He's an anti-vaxx covid denier mate

He posts his filthy crap in all the other sections (or tries to)

One of his latest posts is that doctors are lying, and Chris Witty is lying etc etc

He's one of 'those' people

A Wednesday fan called Steven went on football heaven spouting anti vaxx crap .

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm sure there are others thinking the same mate

Not sure what you mean by 'control' exactly - sounds like the sort of thing Right Said Fred might tweet

Quite simply the Omicron spreads more rapidly and quickly than anything we've seen before. It may well be milder than Delta Variant but the fact it can rip through the country so quickly means more people will have it, and therefore more vulnerable people will be hospitalised, meaning the NHS will simply not be able to cope.

That's all really in a nutshell

Get your third - get yourself protected - stop worrying

To be honest I have zero worries about any of it. 

• Thanks 1