Club Statement Just now on swfc.co.uk

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

If there was a victim then you have a point, but I can't see where there is one.

There will be a victim, plenty of them, and it will be SWFC and the rest of the supporters.  We have fantastic away following but what if the EFL, rightly or wrongly, ban SWFC supporters from away matches ?  There will be  plenty of victims then, including the team who feed off the support. Don't blame the EFL but, ffs, why give them a free hit at giving us another kicking ? Those who ran onto the pitch are absolute idiots that could affect any promotion chance we have and if they can't see that then I feel sorry for them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Because they basically trespassed, something that happens thousands of times a day in the UK without any form of punishment.

It is normally a civil matter, and the civil prosecution usually ends when the person trespassing has left the area.  No material damage was caused, no one was attacked or in any way hindered.    We will now scoure CCTV footage, mobile phone evidence, look through databases of ticket sales etc to find someone who has already left the premises, in order to punish them for an infringement lasting less than a minute.

That's why I feel sorry for them.  

I’ve been to hundreds of football games and never entered a pitch during play. It’s not hard not to be a chav when following your football team away from home. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Because they basically trespassed, something that happens thousands of times a day in the UK without any form of punishment.

It is normally a civil matter, and the civil prosecution usually ends when the person trespassing has left the area.  No material damage was caused, no one was attacked or in any way hindered.    We will now scoure CCTV footage, mobile phone evidence, look through databases of ticket sales etc to find someone who has already left the premises, in order to punish them for an infringement lasting less than a minute.

That's why I feel sorry for them.  

Even in a civil case, the owner of the land can get an injunction against the trespasser preventing them from continuing to trespass. A trespasser does not have to remain to receive such an injunction. Not much different to a banning order. 
Would you feel the same if someone trespassed on your property?

4 minutes ago, SettleForADraw said:

Wow, what a phallus. Players loved it, fans loved it. Mountain/mole hill springs to mind

don't think the EFL will be so keen, IF this leads to lower ticket allocations in the future not sure the players will be so happy and we'll have fans bleating on on here/social media about low ticket allocations.

4 minutes ago, doubleo said:

There will be a victim, plenty of them, and it will be SWFC and the rest of the supporters.  We have fantastic away following but what if the EFL, rightly or wrongly, ban SWFC supporters from away matches ?  There will be  plenty of victims then, including the team who feed off the support. Don't blame the EFL but, ffs, why give them a free hit at giving us another kicking ? Those who ran onto the pitch are absolute idiots that could affect any promotion chance we have and if they can't see that then I feel sorry for them.

How are they the victims?  They don't own the land the incursion wasn't against them.  That's like saying your house guest was the victim when a trespasser wandered into your garden then wandered out again. 

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, helmut_rooster said:

Don't remember everyone wanting 40 thousand fans banning for invading the pitch at the Wycombe game in 2012?

Would also guess that people who are asked for them to be punished were also among said 40 thousand.

Bit different when it’s the last game of the season, after full time and you’ve just won promotion.. a one off. Can’t have it where people run on after every goal 

S. 4 Football Offences Act 1991

Going onto the playing area.

It is an offence for a person at a designated football match to go onto the playing area, or any area adjacent to the playing area to which spectators are not generally admitted, without lawful authority or lawful excuse (which shall be for him to prove).

That clear enough for people?

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I'm not on about FBO all I'm saying is that the law should be changed back to a civil offence. 

But softening the stance on pitch invasions could well lead to more frequent, and more serious incidents.

Isn't part of the reason we have this law to act as a deterrent?

• Like 1

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

How are they the victims?  They don't own the land the incursion wasn't against them.  That's like saying your house guest was the victim when a trespasser wandered into your garden then wandered out again. 

What are you talking about ? Ofcourse they will be victims. If 3500 SWFC fans are banned from away matches because of the behaviour of, say 50, they are victims.  All teams respond to the support on the terraces, so without fans, the team will be victims, and because of the possible lack of performance of the team the club and the rest of the 25000 will be victims. All as a result of the actions of 50.  As for your example - ofcourse my guest would be a victim. How would you like it if when visiting a relative some unknown stranger wandered into your relatives garden, say where your kids were playing, and wandered out again ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Whilst I appreciate the club have to be seen to be taking a tough stance, any banning orders for something like this would be totally hysterical. 

No, what's totally hysterical is a bunch of grown-ups running onto the pitch because we scored a second goal against bottom-of-the-table Crewe in a move that risks a fine for the club they support or worse a banning of fellow away fans for future games that they may want to attend. That's almost literally hysteria, by definition of the chuffing word.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Who said anything about allowing fans to invade the pitch?  No one has said that or would want it.

If fans invade the pitch and no action is taken the club is in effect allowing it to happen. They must be seen to enforce the rules.

If no action is taken, next time more will be emboldened to invade the pitch. Where does it stop?

If someone got injured in a pitch invasion they could sue the club for damages and the club would have difficulty defending the case. The clubs liability insurers will be interested, if they think the club is lax the premiums will go up or ultimately they will refuse to insure the club. Without insurance the club can't operate. Extreme situation obviously but these things can escalate particularly when you have a load of people with a belly full of ale or a sneck full of marching powder.

The club have got to take action to nip it in the bud before it escalates.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lt109 said:

don't think the EFL will be so keen, IF this leads to lower ticket allocations in the future not sure the players will be so happy and we'll have fans bleating on on here/social media about low ticket allocations.

Have Wigan had lower allocations after causing actual trouble at both Bolton and Plymouth? 

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

But softening the stance on pitch invasions could well lead to more frequent, and more serious incidents.

Isn't part of the reason we have this law to act as a deterrent?

One way to finding out but attitudes have changed dramatically, the principal of treating one section of sporting fans differently from others is wrong in my eyes.

I would get off in court...

"I put it to you yer worship an 'ooligan snatched my sausage roll, which I had paid for and threw it onto the playing surface

Being an upright citizen , I decided not to retrieve my comestible until there was a break in play that would give me the time to retrieve aforementioned comestible without interfering with the process of the game..This opportunity came when my team scored...As I have followed football for a number of years I realised this was probably the best opportunity"

"I seem to rewarded for my uprightness by being banned from football matches, for simply showing exemplary patience and regard to the safety of my fellow supporters"

"The CCTV footage of me celebrating and punching the air is a little ambiguous because I was simply celebrating retrieving my heretoaforementioned snack, and was in no way associated with Barry Bannans goal"

Edited by asteener1867