Our fans on the pitch

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So we keep laws that we consider unfair?  Laws are often challenged when some considers them to be unfair, it's part of the democratic process.  

Problem being (As we saw yesterday) football fans as a whole can't be trusted to enjoy themselves without getting into needless issues so the laws simply can't be changed as a result

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Problem being (As we saw yesterday) football fans as a whole can't be trusted to enjoy themselves without getting into needless issues so the laws simply can't be changed as a result

Yes, it can that's the whole point of being able to challenge the law.

If the police carted everyone off and charged them it could have been seen as overzealous as there was no victim.  No one was hurt, it was over in a few minutes and could be shown that it was an illustration of a bad law.  The police it can be argued didn't even arrest anyone which again demonstrates its bad law that the police couldn't bothered to enforce it.

If they connected the offence with violence or the threat of violence then I could see the point.  For simply running onto a piece of grass then for me it's taking a hammer to crush a nut.

• Like 2

I grew up in the dark times when football fans were put in "cages" because nobody trusted us - we all know how that ended.

We just should enjoy that things are so much different nowadays and we should not ruin our reputation and the trust they put on us.

I condemn yesterdays actions and enjoyed them at the same time. It was a pleasure to watch all that joy on the pitch and I condemn it at the same time.

(sitting on the fence once again)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

I grew up in the dark times when football fans were put in "cages" because nobody trusted us - we all know how that ended.

We just should enjoy that things are so much different nowadays and we should not ruin our reputation and the trust they put on us.

I condemn yesterdays actions and enjoyed them at the same time. It was a pleasure to watch all that joy on the pitch and I condemn it at the same time.

(sitting on the fence once again)

Did you write the Labour Party policy on Brexit for the 2019 general election by any chance 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Football fans created all the problems that got the laws (and police attitudes) changed around football

So people crying about that should take their issues to the ones who created the problem in the first place

Nope football fans contributed to it. Various agencies are at play. A law banning the RNLI from saving asylum seekers adrift in the Channel isn’t caused by the asylum seekers. 

42 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Well they took the gamble though I do think the law is to harsh in this case.  Hopefully it will just be a warning to all fans of future conduct.

From Wednesdays perspective, if say for example 20 people are banned. They will probably see it as 20 less idiots going to games and it would no doubt make a few more think twice about going on the pitch. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

From Wednesdays perspective, if say for example 20 people are banned. They will probably see it as 20 less idiots going to games and it would no doubt make a few more think twice about going on the pitch. 

Why are the idiots?? Nobody will be gettin a bannan order for this..believe you me

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

Oh dear. There might be a few people worried they are going to get banned now.

Doubt it

The mentality is one of seeing that as a badge of honour

Kirkland Attack: Man Charged With Assault

Police investigating an attack on footballer Chris Kirkland have charged a 21-year-old man with assault.

Aaron Cawley, from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, is also accused of entering the field of play during a Championship match between Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United on Friday night.

He is due before magistrates in Sheffield this morning, having been charged by South Yorkshire Police.

Cawley was arrested after Kirkland was struck in the face during the 1-1 draw at Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.

The home goalkeeper, who has played for England, fell to ground and required treatment but was able to finish the game.

"I was sore and ... really shocked at what had happened and it was a strange feeling because of all the adrenalin you feel in such a big match anyway," he told the club's official website.

"It was scary. I thought of my family watching something like that and it was not a nice feeling.

"I would like to thank everyone from the football world for their messages of support."

The incident was caught on camera by Sky Sports, which was broadcasting the derby game live.

A man could be seen running from a group of away supporters onto the pitch before pushing Kirkland and running back into the crowd.

In a statement issued after the game, Leeds United said: "We would like to publicly apologise for and condemn the actions of the fan who came onto the pitch at Hillsborough.

"There is no place for that type of behaviour and the majority of Leeds United fans will be ashamed of his actions."

Owlstalk Shop