Contracts expiring - who stays and who goes?

On 08/12/2021 at 13:48, beswetherick said:

According to the Star, we have 11 players out of contract at the end of the season. Who would you keep and who would you release?

1. Wildsmith - release
2. Brennan - keep, 2-3 year deal
3. Dunkley - keep, 1 year with an extension 
4. Hutchinson - keep, but only as a player-coach if he wants it
5. Jack Hunt - keep, 1 year
6. Waldock - release
7. Alex Hunt - keep, 2-3 year deal
8. Luongo - keep for another year, unless he gets injured again
9. Paterson - undecided, top man who does a job wherever he’s asked but he’ll be on decent money and could it be used better elsewhere?
10. Adedoyin - keep, 1 year deal with an extension and send him on loan to see what he can do
11. Berahino - release

Paterson should be kept around the club for his bants and he could give the Kop entrance walls a good rendering. They’re a reight mess. 

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

So a broken leg is not an injury?

A broken leg is an injury. Well done on verbal gymnastics. 

No one who is injury prone is constantly breaking down with a broken leg though. Dunkley doesn’t break down with a broken leg every few weeks, so is therefore not prone to broken leg injury prone-ness. 

• Like 1

Patterson is a must keep

the kind of s#%thouse every team needs 

plays a multiple of positions 

Always available 

Great to have around the camp

People underestimate his value like Palmer because he’s not a messi 

if keep the young ones too 

Brennan 

hunt 

dunkley too

i like luongo and Hutchinson too but the question marks are there for everyone to see the question Is can we replace better for cheaper my guess is no 

17 hours ago, Alb1owl said:

A broken leg is an injury. Well done on verbal gymnastics. 

No one who is injury prone is constantly breaking down with a broken leg though. Dunkley doesn’t break down with a broken leg every few weeks, so is therefore not prone to broken leg injury prone-ness. 

Dunkley didn't play in midweek and unlikely to play tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

Keep Alex and Jack Hunt, Paterson, Dunkley. Absolute loved Hutchinson over the last 6 years but we can't keep giving contracts out to players who are never on the pitch. Same with Luongo, our most influential player on his day but can we afford wages for players never out on the pitch? That's why i'd keep Paterson, plays a number of positions and always available 

Adedoyin and Waldock should be sent out on loan in January to see how they perform before making any decision on extending their contracts. I think Brennan needs extending now and I'd also sign Alex Hunt up for longer; with rumours of Premier League teams looking at him we need to be protecting a potential future saleable asset at the very least. 

With the rest it comes down to which league we're going to be in next season and how they perform / whether they remain fit for the rest of this one.  

On 09/12/2021 at 10:36, matthefish2002 said:

I never get this 'Good For The Dressing Room' stuff.

You are paid good money to play football not tell jokes and have a sing song.

Having a sing song and cracking jokes is exactly what I meant there, absolutely, spot on chief. 

Just now, Owls2k said:

Having a sing song and cracking jokes is exactly what I meant there, absolutely, spot on chief. 

Yes but you get my point the number one, two and three priority when offering a player a contract is what can he do on the pitch.
I am never really sure what all this 'Good in the Dressing Room' stuff really means.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Yes but you get my point the number one, two and three priority when offering a player a contract is what can he do on the pitch.
I am never really sure what all this 'Good in the Dressing Room' stuff really means.

Team morale is very important. It enhances team performance. If a player is good at engendering this then great. It's a kind of intangible talent, like not being injury prone, that enhances the value of the player IMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

It's being a strong character, leading from the front and putting demands on your team mates and yourself. A leader if you will. 

We've never replaced the likes of Loovens and Semedo who offered this.

Dunkley does it too a point.

Edited by Owls2k
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Had one horrendous injury that took a long time to get back from. His career doesnt indicate an injury prone player. Dunkley aside the concept of being good for morale stands.

He was out for nearly all last season.

Was out in midweek, probably not playing v Crewe, according to club website started 12 games this season.

Sorry not worth another contract for me.

34 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

He was out for nearly all last season.

Was out in midweek, probably not playing v Crewe, according to club website started 12 games this season.

Sorry not worth another contract for me.

Like I said horrendous leg break now recovered from. Terrific player. Get him signed. 

1. Wildsmith - release
2. Brennan - new deal
3. Dunkley - release
4. Hutchinson - new deal
5. Jack Hunt - ???
6. Waldock - new deal
7. Alex Hunt - ???
8. Luongo - new deal
9. Paterson - release
10. Adedoyin - release
11. Berahino - release

Not sure on either of the Hunts 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

How come he is injured at moment?

It happens occasionally that a footballer misses a couple of games! Been selected for match day squad 18 times this season indicating that he was fit for at least 18 games... possibly more. 

Before his very bad leg break his appearance record was very good. The break was so severe as to be potentially career threatening. That he has recovered to his current excellence says much.