Makeshift Defence

13 hours ago, theowlsman said:

It might be makeshift but it ain't half effective.

Thought Paterson epitomized the grit at the back tonight. With Palmer and Johnson just as resolute.

Well played lads.

Looked assured and composed, great shift by all 3.

• Like 2

If you'd have told me at the start of the season that we'd have a LW, a ST and a RB in a back three I'd have laughed you out of the room.

If you'd then told me that they actually make a decent back three, I'd have called you a doctor right there on the spot.

It shouldn't work but it is doing. I imagine any Boro or Cardiff fans keeping an eye on them will be extremely confused

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HootHoot said:

If you'd have told me at the start of the season that we'd have a LW, a ST and a RB in a back three I'd have laughed you out of the room.

If you'd then told me that they actually make a decent back three, I'd have called you a doctor right there on the spot.

It shouldn't work but it is doing. I imagine any Boro or Cardiff fans keeping an eye on them will be extremely confused

We have ballers who can play in any position, and we play sexy football like Ruud Gullit's Chelsea.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I think Moore deserves some credit for this. He’s obviously spotted that both Palmer and Johnson in particular have the attributes to do the job they are currently doing. I can see how Moore has a reputation for improving players as he obviously doesn’t pigeon hole them in a particular position therefore giving them

scope to become more aware of greater aspects of the game and better players as a result.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

I think Moore deserves some credit for this. He’s obviously spotted that both Palmer and Johnson in particular have the attributes to do the job they are currently doing. I can see how Moore has a reputation for improving players as he obviously doesn’t pigeon hole them in a particular position therefore giving them

scope to become more aware of greater aspects of the game and better players as a result.

Moore deserves praise with the undefeated run we're on. He's got them working hard off the ball. 

Would prefer less regular team changes when we're winning though.

• Like 2

TBH what this has shown is that firstly us fans, including me, have a limited understanding of how football works.

Johnson at LCH was for me at the time  the defining idiocy of the Moore reign.

Actually it was a really clever solution to a terrible problem. 

We dont need three cloggers at the back against these teams. We need hard working tallish skilful players with decent passing. Moore recognised this and made it happen.

Fair play.

Edited by Nero
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Nero said:

TBH what this has shown is that firstly us fans, including me, have a limited understanding of how football works.

Johnson at LCH was for me at the time  the defining idiocy of the Moore reign.

Actually it was a really clever solution to a terrible problem. 

We dont need three cloggers at the back against these teams. We need hard working tallish skilful players with decent passing. Moore recognised this and made it happen.

Fair play.

Yep. I don't think there was a single poster who thought Johnson at centre back was a good idea, especially as when he first played there, we still had Dunkley sat on the bench.

As always with these things, we need to remember that the manager works with the players every day in training and sees a lot more of them than we ever do.

It seemed a baffling decision at the time, and one which seemed to signify panic to me. However, now that Johnson has had time to grow into the role, he's clearly got the ability to play it effectively, and it's looking like a smart call from Moore.

• Like 2

The makeshift defence is doing well.  Paterson is a fantastic utility player, the type of player every team needs to get through a long gruelling season at this level.

I do feel he is unfairly criticised.  Whether it is striker, midfielder or defender the lad can do a decent job.  A workmanlike no thrills type of player and that is meant as a compliment.

• Like 3