George Hirst is a full weight…

From the interviews I've seen him make (One when he joined Rotherham, another at Leicester and last night) he doesn't strike me as a likeable fella. 

He's actually 23 in January so you'd hope he started to kick on now. He's not exactly a hot prospect anymore. His chance early in the first half where Peacock-Farrell saved with his feet was an easy chance. Half the goal was open and he hit it straight at our goalie.

Whether Chansiri messed him about or not I don't know but the move to Belgium to get around paying compensation was dirty and I can understand why some Wednesday fans give him banter at the game.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I’m totally unemotional about Hirst. I don’t care who his dad is or that he left us after coming through the academy. Last night I though he started off pretty well and he had a couple old decent chances. But after the first 30 mins or so he pretty much disappeared, which was clearly a good thing for us. He did seem to dive a bit but that is very much par in football nowadays. 

Im not sure what to make of him. He seems to have all of the physical attributes but not quite the killer instinct. Right now he just looks like one of those young players that a Prem team has taken a punt on who probably won’t come good. He might learn more over the coming years and forge a good career. But he doesn’t look like a devastating League one striker, never mind a higher level player. 

I said in the thread yesterday that I hoped he'd play just so we can assess his development since he left.

My overall assessment is that he has good movement and close control, and a bit of pace, but not enough to progress higher than L1. The diving antics were not subtle and the ref sported this. He's obviously picked this side of the game up from his time in Holland and @ Leicester, which is probably the way of the world these days.

In the end, on that performance he'll be ok in L1, and may get a loan to a champ club but doubt he'll get much game time as most clubs in their have better strikers. He'll be 23 shortly so needs to move on at some point, but his Leicester contract offers him some short term comfort. 

I have seen George Hirst play a few times since he left us and never been impressed. Always looked slow and cumbersome and lightweight.

Last night he looked miles better than our strikers. Yes he went down too easily but he showed power and strength in his running.

Looks like he will come good - at least at this level. Expect to start scoring regularly now.

• Like 1

George Hirst interview after last night's game:

“The conditions were tough and we were going against the wind in the first half, so it was hard to judge at times.

“It was one of those games where if we had walked off the pitch with a 4-0 win, I don’t think anyone would have been too surprised.

“We were very good and I had a couple of chances, while the keeper has made so many excellent saves.

“We passed the ball when we needed to and we fought when we needed to – on another day we’d have won that.

“There’s probably some added incentive for me to be playing Sheffield Wednesday, although most of that is hyped up by the media.

“I just go out there and try to do my job – whoever the opponents are. I was happy with how I played and thought we were excellent as a team.”

"I was pretty rough last Thursday through to Saturday and the gaffer was understanding about that," he said. “I came in to do a bit on Sunday by myself and then trained on Monday. He gave me the nod and I felt pretty sharp, so hopefully that will improve.”

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The commentators last night said the opposite

Yea but Hendrie is hardly the authority on football. Full of cliche's and nonsense IMO. 

At what point do you stop calling Hirst a 'big strong boy'?  I mean, it's nice to see he's fulled out since I last remember him playing. was always a bit of a bean-poll for us and he looks like he's bulked up quite a bit, but for the sake of comparison he's a similar age to Daka at Leicester. 

I'm not here to do him down, I hold no spite towards him, he's just another ex player as far as I'm concerned. In the first half I thought he did very well and I'd have preferred him upfront for us to Kamberi and Gregory, he faded a bit as the game went on and didn't cause our makeshift defence too many issues.  

He's probably 2/3 years back on development of most his age. The whole ordeal may well have scuppered his chances of fulfilling his potential which is a shame for us and him.

Guest Grandad

I thought he played the number 10 role really well last night. Didn't get knocked off the ball, held it up well and brought team mates into the game creating good chances for them. 

But nobody will see that. Because it seems the chairman has actually done one thing right in all his years at the club. And that was preventing him from playing when he refused a 4 year contract. 

I'd have done the Belgium thing too. I'd do anything I could to prevent someone who did that to me ultimately profiting from me.