Dawson On The Up

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I was chatting to someone with close connections at Exeter City yesterday, and naturally the subject of Cameron Dawson came up.

They couldn't speak highly enough of him, saying how he's really grown in confidence since his arrival there, commanding his area and pulling off some absolutely fantastic saves for them.

Apparently the coaching staff down there are really impressed with him, both as a 'keeper and as a character, and they see him as a vital part of the team which is competing for an automatic promotion spot this season.

God knows how things will pan out longer term, but in the here and now at least, it was great to hear such glowing feedback about a Wednesday player, academy product, and fellow Owl, especially after he's had a tough time of it here.

Good luck to him.

Great to hear  I've always felt he had the talent but that his achilles heel was his lack if self confidence unlike Wildsmith who IMO is less talented but ostensibly more self assured. Possibly the circus surrounding Westwood didn't  help  either.

Hes been written off by some but he's under a long contract with us so I hope that when he comes back we have a valuable assett in our hands.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Watched Dawson from about being 14 ish and always rated him still think he as a big future with us

That's good to hear and hope you're right

What do you think caused his slump in form?

Is it playing under pressure in front of our fans at Hillsborough do you think?

Owlstalk Shop

I was in Devon a couple of weeks ago and took in the Exeter City v Carlisle United game.

Dawson was excellent.  His MoM performance won the game as it it finished 2-1 to Exeter but Dawson made two outstanding saves in the second half.

He is 26 which is still quite young for a goalkeeper.

It certainly makes you wonder.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think so yes

Wednesday fans are brilliant when things are going smoothly but as soon as anyone has a dip in form they get dogs abuse. Very few recover once the haters have made their minds up, I can only recall Lewis Buxton properly turning it around here 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Brissy-owl said:

Remember bannan going nuts at his errors he made in the championship 😂,  think the players hated seeing him in goal as much as the fans did 

Which errors were they then that you remember?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spoke to my mate who works at Cambridge Utd yesterday to see how he got on - he said… “he was pretty good…much better than last time I saw him play. handling was very good throughout. Our research before the game showed us that he seems to lack a bit of agility but it didn’t show yesterday” 

The worst thing we could do for Dawson is bring him back. He needs to stay there all season and (hopefully) feel part of being a successful club.

I don’t think that Dawson’s ability is his biggest problem, I just don’t think he has the character to recover from his mistakes infront of so many people. So more of a mental fortitude issue 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Playing in fragile defence a lack of leadership and maybe the constant changers of coaching staff

Edited by bladeshater
  • Like 2