On This Day In 1993

56 minutes ago, Basement Jack said:

Oddly enough I associate that kit with the start of our decline

Seems bizarre when you look at the players in that lineup 

But if you were there you knew apart from the Italians a while later standards weren’t being maintained

Pre season we were seen as genuine (albeit outside) title contenders. Think it was Hansen on BBC tipped us. But we started slowly, hangover from the cup finals. I remember a 3-3 draw with Norwich in August and being very disappointed how we didn’t wipe the floor with them. Had odd matches of brilliance, but as you say, we didn’t replace with players of the same quality.

Always seen it as quite symbolic how we sacked Francis two years to the day after the cup final replay. We never recovered.,.,

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Pre season we were seen as genuine (albeit outside) title contenders. Think it was Hansen on BBC tipped us. But we started slowly, hangover from the cup finals. I remember a 3-3 draw with Norwich in August and being very disappointed how we didn’t wipe the floor with them. Had odd matches of brilliance, but as you say, we didn’t replace with players of the same quality.

Always seen it as quite symbolic how we sacked Francis two years to the day after the cup final replay. We never recovered.,.,

Yep cup final team broken up too quickly and poor replacements brought in

• Like 2

I started supporting the owls in 1993 when I was a 10 year old and I realised I loved football. So technically I am a glory supporter.  Not gone so well since then.  Imagine being that young now and starting to support one of the current top 5 clubs in England and get told that the next 28 years are going to be sh*t for your team.  Not sure how I’d feel about that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I remember a 3-3 draw with Norwich in August and being very disappointed how we didn’t wipe the floor with them

That wasn't just any 3-3 draw, it was a 3-3 draw after we were cruising at 3-0 up. 

That may well have been the last time we blew a 3-0 lead, unless I've forgotten a more recent one, but it was the fourth time in a few years (even when we were good we still had 'The Wednesday Way') which is why to this day I'm still never confident even when we have a 3 goal lead. 

• Like 3

At the time the management group he top downwards get us years of decline 

The best shot if returning to those glory days is having rich owners that not only back you make the sound investment 

we seem to had got the rich owner right sadly our execution as been nothing short of diabolical which sees us in a division below with financial restrictions 

You just know Newcastle will be a top 5 or 3 team in the next 4 years or so 

they will probably relegated this year to slow them down achieving the target quicker but will bounce back immediately then the build starts money talks 

we squandered it but there’s no denying chansiri first season injection of cash catapulted us to so near success 

fine margins the rest like dropping out of the premier league is history 

20 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Trevor Brooking and Ray Stubbs tipped us to win the league that season. Signing Des Walker was a brilliant piece of business to replace Viv Anderson. That Liverpool team were on a major decline and in that season, I think they sacked Graeme Souness (month later?) and gave Roy Evans the job

Think we had some really bad luck with injuries, sending a majorly depleted squad to Old Trafford and got thrashed 5-0. 

The next summer was the start of our decline with the replacements for the aging pro's and failing to sign a striker when we needed one. Jemson and Watson left, Hirst was always injured - we only had Mark Bright up front. Why Francis didn't sign one, I'll never know. 

23 hours ago, Mr Meadows said:

Nilsson > Atherton

Irish > Nolan

Pearson > Andy ******** pearce

Sheridan > Danny Sonner 😭

Yep........................Francis had a complete brain fart in his last 12 months............................by the time Wilson signed Sonner we back on cheap street after that two hat Pleat had spaffed all the Charterhouse money.

12 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Yep........................Francis had a complete brain fart in his last 12 months............................by the time Wilson signed Sonner we back on cheap street after that two hat Pleat had spaffed all the Charterhouse money.

Charterhouse, what a mess that was.  Could have propelled us to the top.