Shocking performances

Add it to the long list of spineless displays we have put on since relegation from the prem.

Exeter 5-1

Stevanage 5-1

Leyton Orient 4-1

1-4 home to Peterborough 

3-0 Rotherham

3-0 Plymouth (twice)

I could go on all day. Which says it all.

• Like 3

Non, because we needed to win this to keep the momentum going, breed confidence throughout the club and fan base, show strength in depth and a trophy at the end of the day no matter what cup is something to celebrate, we've just done the opposite, players and Moore back under scrutiny, pathetic performance and mindset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I always laugh at the regular hyperbolic reactions after poor performances, people saying they've been going since 1952 and that was the worst game/performance they've ever seen etc. - when it wasn't even the worst that month.

But in over 40 years of going, last night was genuinely one of the worst performances I've ever seen, there were absolutely no positives (other than being out of this daft competition), we got outplayed by a side who were non-league a few months ago, and the complete lack of effort and basic football ability ridiculous. Even the Yeovil game, the players looked like they were actually trying, they were just rubbish, but last night nobody looked remotely arsed about trying to play football let alone win the game. 

Yet at the same time I'm glad we're out of the competition. More trouble than it's worth, even winning it would have been a bit embarrassing, having it displayed on our honours list forever. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I always laugh at the regular hyperbolic reactions after poor performances, people saying they've been going since 1952 and that was the worst game/performance they've ever seen etc. - when it wasn't even the worst that month.

But in over 40 years of going, last night was genuinely one of the worst performances I've ever seen, there were absolutely no positives (other than being out of this daft competition), we got outplayed by a side who were non-league a few months ago, and the complete lack of effort and basic football ability ridiculous. Even the Yeovil game, the players looked like they were actually trying, they were just rubbish, but last night nobody looked remotely arsed about trying to play football let alone win the game. 

Yet at the same time I'm glad we're out of the competition. More trouble than it's worth, even winning it would have been a bit embarrassing, having it displayed on our honours list forever. 

Not that it’s only your sentiment. Why would winning anything be embarrassing?

I wish the club had a winning culture. At the end of the day, we are where we are. This cup provides a realistic chance to get to Wembley, win a trophy, maybe even gain a bit of exposure and we could even try to claw back some of the generation of fans we’ve inevitably lost to the Blades by people seeing us winning at Wembley and thinking they fancy a bit of that. 

I think people think the papa John’s trophy and indeed league one is beneath us, and I think in general that is part of the overall problem at the club.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, katie melua said:

There have been many more games worse than that one tonight

Tranmere Rovers away under Gary Megson when we lost 3-0 and Enoch Showumni scored for them was far, far worse! 

So was Leyton Orient away that same season

Were you there tonight though?

For what its worth I cant remember being present at a worse or more abject 45 minutes than the first half and ive been going since the mid sixties.

Front to back the performances were shocking. Normally two or three can have an off day but last night it was 9 or 10. 

I dont care about the PJT but I would be surprised if the manner of how they personally played and got thumped didnt haunt and affect Brennan, Byers, Corbeanu, Brown for a while. Wing and Berahino are basket cases already confidence wise.

I dont think it was lack of effort, they just collectively lost their shxt. 

Unacceptable.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wiggy said:

Not that it’s only your sentiment. Why would winning anything be embarrassing?

I wish the club had a winning culture. At the end of the day, we are where we are. This cup provides a realistic chance to get to Wembley, win a trophy, maybe even gain a bit of exposure and we could even try to claw back some of the generation of fans we’ve inevitably lost to the Blades by people seeing us winning at Wembley and thinking they fancy a bit of that. 

I think people think the papa John’s trophy and indeed league one is beneath us, and I think in general that is part of the overall problem at the club.

I know what alanharper means.

Just imagine the sign writer climbing up his rickety stepladder armed with his little brush and gold paint  and painstakingly writing Papa John’s Pizza Trophy Winners 2021 underneath the league cup win and promotion achievements…. it would be feckin embarrassing . I can just imagine visiting club officials pointing up at it and laughing their nuts off.

I’m with Mr.Harper on this .

12 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

I know what alanharper means.

Just imagine the sign writer climbing up his rickety stepladder armed with his little brush and gold paint  and painstakingly writing Papa John’s Pizza Trophy Winners 2021 underneath the league cup win and promotion achievements…. it would be feckin embarrassing . I can just imagine visiting club officials pointing up at it and laughing their nuts off.

I’m with Mr.Harper on this .

I sort of get it. Each to their own views. I think it’s an interesting debate. 

But surely to back up our delusions of grandeur a better way would be winning the lot? Proving we are above the level by winning football games.

Not just saying ahhh well it’s Micky mouse while Hartlepool pull a relatively strong 11s pants down. 

Not to mention a practice trip to Wembley could have come in handy if we end up in the playoffs. 

36 minutes ago, wiggy said:

I sort of get it. Each to their own views. I think it’s an interesting debate. 

But surely to back up our delusions of grandeur a better way would be winning the lot? Proving we are above the level by winning football games.

Not just saying ahhh well it’s Micky mouse while Hartlepool pull a relatively strong 11s pants down. 

Not to mention a practice trip to Wembley could have come in handy if we end up in the playoffs. 

Agreed. We’re all just trying to mitigate the abject disgrace of getting absolutely walloped by a team in the lowest league who are in terrible form and couldn’t buy a win anywhere else. 
Maybe we are all a little bit guilty of thinking in extremes. When we win it’s all “that performance was great , we’ve turned the corner, the team are gelling, we’re on our way to the playoffs  “ etc,  and when we lose 3-0 at home to Hartlepool it’s ……. wait a minute, did I just write that we lost 3-0, at home, TO HARTLEFRIGGINPOOL, ….disregard what I previously said. I’m going to carry on thinking in extremes because losing 3-0 at home to Hartlepool is very extreme.

• Thanks 1

Last night's 1st half was the worst I have witnessed since the dark day's of 1974/6 - 75/6 season's.

Apart from 'Beano', no one did them selve's any favour's, and that is being polite.

Moore, if he did not know already, now know's that the squad is not good enough once you are below  the 1st 17 players.

So much for all those who have said that this squad is good enough to go up this season.

2 hours ago, wiggy said:

Add it to the long list of spineless displays we have put on since relegation from the prem.

Exeter 5-1

Stevanage 5-1

Leyton Orient 4-1

1-4 home to Peterborough 

3-0 Rotherham

3-0 Plymouth (twice)

I could go on all day. Which says it all.

Just to cheer you up a bit: the Leyton Orient result was actually 4-0.

6-0 at Reading was one that stands out for me. The only time I've ever left a match early.

• Haha 1

Just now, punkskaphil said:

Just to cheer you up a bit: the Leyton Orient result was actually 4-0.

6-0 at Reading was one that stands out for me. The only time I've ever left a match early.

I can’t remember which order it came in but didn’t we do a 5-0 at reading the season before or after too.

I’ve not even got to the 5-0 home debacles against Wimbledon and Norwich