IF we go up, do we have the quality to stay up?

I look at the teams that consistently yo-yo between L1 and the Championship. Both Wycombe and Rotherham are having great seasons in league one this season, yet last season in the championship they were terrible and my thinking is they'll struggle in the league above as usual.

It got me thinking, if we get promoted do we have what it takes to stay up? 

Personally, I think we'd need to have a very good transfer window to stand a chance. 

What do you guys think?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Yes, comfortably 

We had enough to stay up last season and I think we’ve got a better squad this season 

Would need a keeper and left back though 

Where do you see the goals coming from though? 

Kamberi is on loan. I don't think Gregory is a championship player and it's a big ask to put it all on Windass. 

A new striker would need to be a priority.

I found it quite alarming that the players had a meeting after the Cheltenham game, as if they were ‘passengers’ in the previous number of games

that basically is to say we needed to sort ourselves mentally to compete and now we are on the way to that, having seen much better performances over the last few games 

if that continues and if we do achieve promotion then I don’t see why we can’t stay up but we don’t want to get ahead of ourselves - the league is a slog to get out of, we’ve proven that before, as have others aswell (Ipswich, Sunderland)

• Like 1

Although it’s clearly way to early to speculate on how well we would do in a league we aren’t in I did wonder the same thing myself. I think the squad is OK but if we do go up we will probably lose Luongo which leaves a big hole. We would need extra players in defence, midfield and up front IMO to be staying up comfortably. If we have genuine ambition to go up this season and then stay up, we will need to be very active in the Jan window, which given how active we were in the summer window just doesn’t seem that likely to me. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, HootHoot said:

Yes, I think we would stay up.

If we continue to improve and become consistent enough to actually get promoted, then I think we could carry that momentum into next season. And for once, we would have the benefit of continuity of squad and management. I'm not saying we would be world beaters, but I think even with minimal investment we should have enough to stay out of trouble.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Let's get up first, then ask the question....

Gotta plan for the future my friend. 

Chansiri should be thinking about the possibility of this. Evaluate our finances to ensure we remain sustainable and don't get another deduction etc. 

From a fan perspective sure, it's early. But as a business you need to be planning for every eventuality.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Silkstone Owl said:

I found it quite alarming that the players had a meeting after the Cheltenham game, as if they were ‘passengers’ in the previous number of games

that basically is to say we needed to sort ourselves mentally to compete and now we are on the way to that, having seen much better performances over the last few games 

if that continues and if we do achieve promotion then I don’t see why we can’t stay up but we don’t want to get ahead of ourselves - the league is a slog to get out of, we’ve proven that before, as have others aswell (Ipswich, Sunderland)

Why continually use examples of failure? Both Rotherham and Barnsley bounced back straight away twice in Rotherham’s case, three times consecutively if they achieve it this season. This League can be MADE a slog to get out of. Just excuses all the time

1 hour ago, HootHoot said:

I look at the teams that consistently yo-yo between L1 and the Championship. Both Wycombe and Rotherham are having great seasons in league one this season, yet last season in the championship they were terrible and my thinking is they'll struggle in the league above as usual.

Personally, I think we'd need to have a very good transfer window to stand a chance. 

What do you guys think?

sadly no I don’t think we have…the defence is conceding goals in this league and even with injured players back I don’t see this changing to be honest.