Akinfenwa: “Dunkley and Paterson were monsters.”

7 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I personally really like Akinfenwa. He’s a one off and fair play to him that he’s still getting a game at 39. Not surprised to hear him speak well of Dunkley. Dunkley absolutely owned him when he came on and is clearly one of the best players in this division in the air. As for Patterson the bloke gives his all 100% of the time. I’m surprised when he gets pelters really as he is a genuine utility player and always contributes to the team. The fact he looks like a human badger is a bonus. 

I agree he gives 100%. I like the fact that he supplies the bit of shithousery we lack. I just don't think he has a footballing brain.

Don't get me wrong he's probably what we need in this division but in the Championship I don't think he's good enough.

It's just my opinion and I've been wrong before. I dreaded Dunkley getting the ball at his feet but he is much better now, I have always liked him as a player, it was just the playing out bit.

3 hours ago, prowl said:

I dreaded Dunkley getting the ball at his feet but he is much better now, I have always liked him as a player, it was just the playing out bit.

We've said this many times on the podcast. I still don't think he's great at passing. It just looks awkward to me when he does try and pass the ball, but for me he just needs to accept that his strengths are heading, tackling and interceptions. If you try and force it on him to play out from the back then that's when he can come unstuck i.e. early on vs. Accy. 

One listener used a great analogy. He's carrying the piano, but he needs to give it someone that can play the piano. I have no qualms with him just offloading it to Palmer, Hunt, Bannan, Luongo etc. No need to be making 20-30 yard raking passes. Keep it simple. 

Oh and for what it's worth, Player of the Month for me. Hands down! 

• Like 3

On 29/11/2021 at 07:44, Willie Henderson said:

Dunkley is turning into a bit of a legend, a few months ago I used to dread him playing.

But a slight change in the style of play and him stepping out of Iorfa's shadow seems to have been the making of him.

And Pato is just Pato, gives his all and gets stuck in wherever you put him, you've got to love the binman.

Rather than stepping out of Iorfa's shadow, I'd say that he had to act as Iorfa's nanny - the tall thin one having been less than excellent when I've seen him this season.  He can confidently do his job now, with a surprise step up from Brennan.  Looks a good partnership

• Like 1

Some fans were moaning about Dunkley and the pins in his leg. Has only gone to help the structure in creating 'The Wall'. Form has been excellent of late, particularly when we needed him most with countless injuries. An incoming POTM award for him which is deserved.

Pato as well deserves praise as he has been thrown in every position except keeper..yet! Not always been on top form but has slotted in where required to help the team.

• Like 2

I love Chey. Hope we’re discussing contracts with him.

Paterson too. I’m sure we’ll play him up front Wednesday night & people will slag him off for not scoring. But where would we be without him? And how difficult must it be playing a totally different position week in week out? 

Both exactly what you need if you wanna get out of League 1

• Like 2

Dunkley has been outstanding recently. 

I think the other thing with him is he's a character and those are in short supply these days. He's not the second coming of Barresi, but he's fantastic in the air and is a real leader at the back. 

Tbf to Patterson, though I was frustrated with the daft freekick he gave away, you have to give him credit for once again doing a job in the team. Talk about a utility player - he just needs to go in goal and he will have done a full Bullen! 

Afkifenwa is a top bloke tbf. As someone else has said, he made a point of taking autographs, posing for photos etc., with our fans in front of the South just before the second half kicked off. 

• Like 2

On 29/11/2021 at 13:31, Holmowl said:

Dunkley has gone from being an okay L1 defender to being a truly outstanding L1 defender who would look more than comfortable in the Championship.

But his ability in the ball has been transformed - I used to cringe and hide behind the settee. Now he wants the ball, gets in great positions to receive it, and looks supremely at ease and confident. He’s even started driving forward with it. 

Outstanding. 

It comes from good coaching.