Akinfenwa: “Dunkley and Paterson were monsters.”

Credit to Akinfenwa that I'd forgotten about. At half time he was posing for selfies etc with fans from the North stand. My lad thinks he's a bit of a legend so was delighted to get his pic with him. 

Also noticed he had a long chat with Bannan at the end, plus a few other players. Proper in depth love in type thing. Same for their keeper, he was hugging people like he'd been doing shots all night. 

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Willie Henderson said:

Dunkley is turning into a bit of a legend, a few months ago I used to dread him playing.

But a slight change in the style of play and him stepping out of Iorfa's shadow seems to have been the making of him.

And Pato is just Pato, gives his all and gets stuck in wherever you put him, you've got to love the binman.

Totally agree ..good post..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Smart move by Moore making sure Paterson wasn't banned for that game. I dread to think how we'd have coped without both him and Dunkley.

As a measure of how effective they were, Vokes averages 12.3 headers per game so far this season; against us he won 6.

Vokes looked a complete cart horse up front

It's effective, but absolutely vile on the eyes watching every single ball they had get lobbed up in the air, there would be a pass down the line and they would chip it out under their feet aiming for a head. 

I personally really like Akinfenwa. He’s a one off and fair play to him that he’s still getting a game at 39. Not surprised to hear him speak well of Dunkley. Dunkley absolutely owned him when he came on and is clearly one of the best players in this division in the air. As for Patterson the bloke gives his all 100% of the time. I’m surprised when he gets pelters really as he is a genuine utility player and always contributes to the team. The fact he looks like a human badger is a bonus. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Haha 3

Dunkley has gone from being an okay L1 defender to being a truly outstanding L1 defender who would look more than comfortable in the Championship.

But his ability in the ball has been transformed - I used to cringe and hide behind the settee. Now he wants the ball, gets in great positions to receive it, and looks supremely at ease and confident. He’s even started driving forward with it. 

Outstanding. 

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Dunkley has gone from being an okay L1 defender to being a truly outstanding L1 defender who would look more than comfortable in the Championship.

But his ability in the ball has been transformed - I used to cringe and hide behind the settee. Now he wants the ball, gets in great positions to receive it, and looks supremely at ease and confident. He’s even started driving forward with it. 

Outstanding. 

Dunks was part of the 2018 Wigan L1 champion team that only conceded 29 all season. A league record. He played most games that year. He's good at this level.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Wednesday Fan said:

When we signed Dunkley I remember reading posts/tweets from Wigan fans saying how much they’d miss him and what a great buy we were getting. Perhaps we’re seeing now what they were seeing then!!!

UTO

Yep, saw the same - they thought he was great at Wigan.

I've got a mate who is an Oxford fan & she says he was a complete beast for them as well. Just solid no frills defending & a useful goal threat as well.

6 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Remember last month when that poster was claiming that Dunkley's not that good in the air?

:duntmatter:

To be fair he wasn’t he headed the ball like he kicked it …… shocking 

He has been a different player the last few games and has put in performances that I admit I didn’t think he was capable of , he is doing well at the moment but let’s not try and try re write history 

Watch the game again against Derby if you want a reality check 

Edited by Mike Hunt

11 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

To be fair he wasn’t he headed the ball like he kicked it …… shocking 

He has been a different player the last few games and has put in performances that I admit I didn’t think he was capable of , he is doing well at the moment but let’s not try and try re write history 

Watch the game again against Derby if you want a reality check 

He's been impressive in the air earlier in the season, too.

He won 10 against Rotherham, 12 against Wigan, and 10 against Wimbledon, for example.

• Like 1