My apologies to Darren Moore

3 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I’d rather have him than Moore 

Nah, in the second half of the season, my hypothetical manager sleeps with the kit man, causing untold damage to dressing room morale and seeing us narrowly relegated on the final day of the season.

You wouldn't want him here.

• Haha 2

I think the description "better" is a bit simplistic.

You could argue, for example, that Pep Guardiola is a better manager than Darren Moore. But PG is in a position to sign some of the best players in the world, players who he can ask to play a certain way and they will absolutely be able to do that. He wouldn't have that luxury here. So while I don't believe for a moment that DM could take the reins at the Etihad and achieve what Guardiola has, I'm equally far from convinced that Pep could manage us and dominate League 1.

Some managers are good at certain things, and will outperform in some environments but not others. Klopp, Guardiola, Tuchel etc are coaches / managers who, given the best players, facilities and staff can operate at an elite level. Other managers wouldn't be able to do this, but are quite able to put together teams compiled of free transfers, other clubs cast-offs and academy graduates. It doesn't mean they're worse managers than the PL elite, just that their abilities are different.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

You could argue, for example, that Pep Guardiola is a better manager than Darren Moore. But PG is in a position to sign some of the best players in the world, players who he can ask to play a certain way and they will absolutely be able to do that. He wouldn't have that luxury here. So while I don't believe for a moment that DM could take the reins at the Etihad and achieve what Guardiola has, I'm equally far from convinced that Pep could manage us and dominate League 1.

Some managers are good at certain things, and will outperform in some environments but not others. Klopp, Guardiola, Tuchel etc are coaches / managers who, given the best players, facilities and staff can operate at an elite level. Other managers wouldn't be able to do this, but are quite able to put together teams compiled of free transfers, other clubs cast-offs and academy graduates. It doesn't mean they're worse managers than the PL elite, just that their abilities are different.

Are you suggesting Old Rimmer's presented a viewpoint which is a bit simplistic?

That's not like him, is it?

:duntmatter:

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Nah, in the second half of the season, my hypothetical manager sleeps with the kit man, causing untold damage to dressing room morale and seeing us narrowly relegated on the final day of the season.

You wouldn't want him here.

In my hypothetical situation the kit man becomes pregnant and it really galvanises the club all looking after the baby together.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

All I want is to be able to watch football matches with a reasonable chance that I will be entertained. At the moment I am entertained so am happy. My view has always been a top six finish is a reasonable level of expectation after all the changes we’ve made. But more than anything I just want to see us attacking, passing it about and scoring goals. So right now I’m happy enough and expect us to be sat in top six in Jan. 

As for people who want to say they though DM was a liability but now think he’s good then fair enough. It’s refreshing to see people change their mind!

Get yourself ready, it's going to be a roller-coaster of a season

13 hours ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Quite simply the up turn in form is to do with the return of Windass and Luongo. We all knew it would happen just because of the quality of both players. No matter what style or formation we play, we have too many match winners in this league to not muster something up in each game. Wimbledon we threw a lead away, cheltenham we threw a lead away, we're scoring goals now just because of the sheer quality of players we have for this division. It was inevitable no matter what formation or square pegs round holes Moore went with

Is this a pro Moore or against post. 

Two ways of looking at it. DM brought the players in that are square pegs.

We all knew around Xmas the team would start to get the results from the potential that was evident from the first game. 

Maybe Moore has been getting an understanding between them by using players in different positions. 

Anyway we look at it. At the start of the season before a ball had been kicked 99% of fans would have taken the position we are currently in. 

I don't always understand Moores tactics and formations but that's why I not a football manager 

44 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Is this a pro Moore or against post. 

Two ways of looking at it. DM brought the players in that are square pegs.

We all knew around Xmas the team would start to get the results from the potential that was evident from the first game. 

Maybe Moore has been getting an understanding between them by using players in different positions. 

Anyway we look at it. At the start of the season before a ball had been kicked 99% of fans would have taken the position we are currently in. 

I don't always understand Moores tactics and formations but that's why I not a football manager 

He obviously sensed the fans displeasure on the teams performances, and is rectifying it, maybe with a bit of luck thrown in there too

5 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

He obviously sensed the fans displeasure on the teams performances, and is rectifying it, maybe with a bit of luck thrown in there too

Do you not think he was unhappy with some of the performances, too?

Or are you suggesting that Moore was blissfully unaware of any areas for improvement until he picked up on the fans' murmurings and then set about rectifying them?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Do you not think he was unhappy with some of the performances, too?

Or are you suggesting that Moore was blissfully unaware of any areas for improvement until he picked up on the fans' murmurings and then set about rectifying them?

I think he knew where the problems where in the first place, but thanks to returning players from injuries he's finding it easier to pick his starting 11, Dunkley has been the biggest improvement and its rubbing off on the other players. 

Edited by Daniele Giovanni

Still not convinced as of yet. 

Though he's seems to have toned the endless tinkering and playing players in unfamiliar roles which was my main  problem with DM. 

As for our new found attacking aproach, I'll hold judgement until after our defenders are fit again. 

If you know your defence is leaky, you might as well be more attacking and try restrict the opposion by making them do more defending and hope to score more goals. Lol 

10 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

No matter what style or formation we play,

So having two up front and getting balls crossed into the box creating around 20 attempts a match is nothing to do with style or formation ? It's only a few weeks ago when we were creating 4 attempts a match and trying to grind out 1-0 wins...and failing badly 🤣

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

That doesn’t describe our situation though does it?? 7 players in our reg squad were in our team last season 

On 28/11/2021 at 15:35, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's just bloody exhausting, isn't it?

We'll be back to 'Moore Out!' again after the next loss...'Soz, Darren' once we win again...repeat ad infinitum.

That's football. Just look at the Everton fans this season vs last season 

5 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

So having two up front and getting balls crossed into the box creating around 20 attempts a match is nothing to do with style or formation ? It's only a few weeks ago when we were creating 4 attempts a match and trying to grind out 1-0 wins...and failing badly 🤣

Taking one sentence out of a post does not show what the point actually was. Of course th formation and tactics has had an effect. My point was if you read it correctly is that even when we knew that we had players playing out of their best position we we could still see that the players are good enough to improve and cope with the rest of the teams in the division. 

Should not have to explain again a simple paragraph so that single sentence is copied. 

6 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

This......

DM persisted with one up front for far too long, it was obvious to most it wasn't working. We were averaging 3 attempts on target and 1 goal scored in games. He was worrying more about the opposition with his 'horses for courses' nonsense. Fans and the media were rightly saying we should be doing better and questioning DM's tactics and line ups. Also no one could understand why he was reluctant to give Corbeanu a start.

It seemed to change 4 weeks ago in the Sunderland game with a third of the season already gone. He played Gregory and Kamberi up top together and gave Corbeanu his first start of the season. Since then in 5 matches we have won 3, drawn 2, points 11, created loads of chances and scored 11. Though 4 of those matches have been at home.

We have seen all the top teams in this division and there is no one to fear. I just hope DM continues to show attacking intent because he has the tools at his disposal to score goals. 

4 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

This......

DM persisted with one up front for far too long, it was obvious to most it wasn't working. We were averaging 3 attempts on target and 1 goal scored in games. He was worrying more about the opposition with his 'horses for courses' nonsense. Fans and the media were rightly saying we should be doing better and questioning DM's tactics and line ups. Also no one could understand why he was reluctant to give Corbeanu a start.

It seemed to change 4 weeks ago in the Sunderland game with a third of the season already gone. He played Gregory and Kamberi up top together and gave Corbeanu his first start of the season. Since then in 5 matches we have won 3, drawn 2, points 11, created loads of chances and scored 11. Though 4 of those matches have been at home.

We have seen all the top teams in this division and there is no one to fear. I just hope DM continues to show attacking intent because he has the tools at his disposal to score goals. 

I do think DM was aware that the team was not very well acquainted with each other. His way of getting results while players were getting up to speed was to be quite negative and concentrating on not conceding and hopefully grab a goal or two. I think when it was clear windass and luongu were nearly ready and the team was starting to get to know each other the tactics had to change. We also was becoming predictable and needed to be more proactive. 

DM had to be careful as a complete new squad can be easily drained of confidence and all good intentions go out the window when panic sets in from losing too many games ultimately costing his job. 

Yes it is been frustrating drawing games but the difference between drawing and losing both in confidence and table position is huge. Many teams get caught out expecting to much to soon and then it becomes a shambles. 

I not always a fan of what Moore does but we in a good place and things are getting better. 

We all thought he was losing the plot and all the time he was in perfect control and using his knowledge and experience to keep things steady and to not place to much expectation on players. 

I hope that our misjudgement was all along a master plan by a manager who is doing absolutely the best possible all things considered for our club. 

Fingers crossed the next half a season will be all the proof we need 

• Like 3