Jump to content

Appalling offside against shedipo!


Bazza
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Ian said:

my thought on this one is that Shodipo only got the ball after one of their players tried to clear it, therefore becoming a new phase of play and was a ball from their player!

 

3 hours ago, Waddle93 said:

 

Although that makes perfect sense it doesn't to the people at IFAB.

Onside once defender has tried to play the ball.

 

Shodipo is still considered to be on the goal line and therefore offside if he is involved in play before a stoppage in play or the ball is cleared by a defender and has gone outside the penalty area.

 

'An attacking player may step or stay off the field of play not to be involved in active play. If the player re-enters from the goal line and becomes involved in play before the next stoppage in play, or the defending team has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside its penalty area, the player shall be considered to be positioned on the goal line for the purposes of offside.'

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

People regularly do seem to forget that the keeper does count in offside, obviously generally speaking he is always the last man and far away!

I am one of those people. Well done for spotting that. I think it goes to show how difficult it is to officiate a game well. They have to make these decisions in a split second. I do think that the standard has dropped remarkably from the championship. 

The standard seems to be either very good or poor. Normally the latter. 

Its probably a case of the good ones are just getting experience to be called to the premier league. The rest are the ones who not good enough and making the numbers up. And most of the decisions 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

 

 

Shodipo is still considered to be on the goal line and therefore offside if he is involved in play before a stoppage in play or the ball is cleared by a defender and has gone outside the penalty area.

 

'An attacking player may step or stay off the field of play not to be involved in active play. If the player re-enters from the goal line and becomes involved in play before the next stoppage in play, or the defending team has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside its penalty area, the player shall be considered to be positioned on the goal line for the purposes of offside.'

 

The point is that he wasn’t involved in play until after the ball had been deliberately played by a defender, making it a new phase of play which would mean he is onside 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

 

 

Shodipo is still considered to be on the goal line and therefore offside if he is involved in play before a stoppage in play or the ball is cleared by a defender and has gone outside the penalty area.

 

'An attacking player may step or stay off the field of play not to be involved in active play. If the player re-enters from the goal line and becomes involved in play before the next stoppage in play, or the defending team has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside its penalty area, the player shall be considered to be positioned on the goal line for the purposes of offside.'

 


But if their player was also off the pitch, wouldn’t that mean Shodipo was level with the last man and therefore onside?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ian said:

The point is that he wasn’t involved in play until after the ball had been deliberately played by a defender, making it a new phase of play which would mean he is onside 

 

It seems strange but according to the rules he can be deemed to be offside if he challenges for the ball at any point up until there is a stoppage in play or the ball is cleared out of the penalty area.

 

The ball was still in the penalty area when he challenged for it so was called offside from Kamberi's initial shot.

 

I never knew that a player who has left the field past the goal line is classed to be on the goal line for the purposes of offside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, beswetherick said:


But if their player was also off the pitch, wouldn’t that mean Shodipo was level with the last man and therefore onside?

 

Yes Shodipo and the defender who was also off the pitch, were both classed to be on the goal line for the purposes of offside. 

 

What you have to remember is that an attacking player has to have 2 defending players to be between him and the goal to be onside.

 

Usually the goalkeeper is the last player but  in this case their goalie was the 2nd last player and Shodipo was ahead of him and therefore offside.

 

It was the correct decision according to the rules and I suppose the linesman was on the ball to spot it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

 

Yes Shodipo and the defender who was also off the pitch, were both classed to be on the goal line for the purposes of offside. 

 

What you have to remember is that an attacking player has to have 2 defending players to be between him and the goal to be onside.

 

Usually the goalkeeper is the last player but  in this case their goalie was the 2nd last player and Shodipo was ahead of him and therefore offside.

 

It was the correct decision according to the rules and I suppose the linesman was on the ball to spot it.


It looks like the keeper was on the goal line from the picture in the OP, but it’s not clear to see through the number of bodies. Seems as though they got this one right, although there were some of the usual crap decisions we’ve become accustomed to at this level - not playing advantage after Luongo was fouled was the pick of the bunch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, beswetherick said:


It looks like the keeper was on the goal line from the picture in the OP, but it’s not clear to see through the number of bodies. Seems as though they got this one right, although there were some of the usual crap decisions we’ve become accustomed to at this level - not playing advantage after Luongo was fouled was the pick of the bunch

 

Looking at it again the keeper was a couple of feet off his line.

 

What I thought that linesman and ref did get wrong was the Gregory header, it looked over the line before the keeper pushed it out.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe someone said this already - or maybe I’m completely wrong

 

But I thought that a player whose momentum carries them off the pitch is still classed as being ‘on the line’ when it comes to offside

 

As he was therefore less than 2 players from the goal when the ball was played - which he then went for - he was flagged offside

 

Correct me if wrong please. Every days a school day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Maybe someone said this already - or maybe I’m completely wrong

 

But I thought that a player whose momentum carries them off the pitch is still classed as being ‘on the line’ when it comes to offside

 

As he was therefore less than 2 players from the goal when the ball was played - which he then went for - he was flagged offside

 

Correct me if wrong please. Every days a school day.

The answers are in the thread but in summary, yes you’d be right but a) there was also a Wycombe player off the pitch (which then became irrelevant because the keeper was off his line) and b) he didn’t go for the ball until after it had been deliberately played by a Wycombe player

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ian said:

The answers are in the thread but in summary, yes you’d be right but a) there was also a Wycombe player off the pitch (which then became irrelevant because the keeper was off his line) and b) he didn’t go for the ball until after it had been deliberately played by a Wycombe player


Thanks - thought so

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...