Bannan

He gets paid a lot apparently but the man never misses a game , is never injured and gives absolutely everything in every single game.  The amount of running he does and the willingness to get on the ball anywhere on the field, very few players outside the prem have that quality.

• Like 7

He seems to have stepped up a gear in the last month. I think not playing him alongside Wing has helped and more than likely the return of Luongo has helped him more. Still a long way to go but we seem to have good options in midfield but we still lack a genuine goalscorer from midfield and have done since Kieran Lee left.

43 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

He gets paid a lot apparently but the man never misses a game , is never injured and gives absolutely everything in every single game.  The amount of running he does and the willingness to get on the ball anywhere on the field, very few players outside the prem have that quality.

Absolutely this

But a lot of fans now take this for granted, therefore choose to ignore it

Instead they proceed to pick faults and spend all week crying about how one of his corners hit the first man

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Absolutely this

But a lot of fans now take this for granted, therefore choose to ignore it

Instead they proceed to pick faults and spend all week crying about how one of his corners hit the first man

Corners are, in reality, bloody hard.  It is a strange type of kick for an outfield player completely unique from all other kicks in the game.  You have to give them a good whack, the wind impacts them a fair bit, and what feels like the same corner you whacked a minute ago ends up differently.  They remind me of playing golf.  You can set yourself exactly the same way and do things you think the same way and your shot is completely different.

It sounds weird but the grass, the run up, the amount of wind getting onto the pitch, any slope, it all massively seems to impact taking corners plus how goosed you are.  I once tried to take a corner at the end of the match half injured. I had a bad knock to the head earlier in the game which was bandaged up so didn't want to go in the box as usual and try head it and mess up this bandage thing, so said I would take the corner instead.  It was a filthy day and pitch, i hit this corner what felt like as hard as I could  and it  made Potters efforts look like Roberto Carlos.

Barry Bannan again eh?

I think the OP putting him 2nd in POTM in front of Corbeanu says a lot of how some fasn view him but equally I don’t think any fan “hates”.

Bannan ticks a lot boxes. Great attitude, can never accuse him of hiding, always puts a real  shift in,  rarely injured, good captain off the pitch if not so much on it. good passer of the ball and has a good dig on him although doesn’t seem to utilise it nowhere near enough. Overall you’d have to question anyone who doesn’t actually like him for us.

However, his wage and what fee he may command are a huge consideration. On the negative side he’s a creative midfielder who scores 1 goal in 20 games. His assist stats compared to some others don’t support the claim he’s the best player in the league either. As for what others think of him. There wasn’t one “serious” offer for him from a Championship manager in the summer to test our resolve to keep him.

I like Bannan and like others that see his shortcomings certainly don’t “hate” him. If you’re asking me though are we getting value for money (granted not his fault) from the clubs wage outlay I’d say not. For me I’d be willing to sell Bannan in January if they were any takers. The fee and wages should enable us to acquire two or three top players at Lge 1 level and make the squad as a whole stronger. I was only a very young kid when we got promotion in 1980 but none the less I’ve seen us get out of the third tier three times. There’s a tried and tested way and all those three promotion sides had similar traits and comparable players. Pickering, Bullen, Jones. Johnson, Whelan, Semedo. Curran, Brunt, Antonio. Andy Mac, Jones, O Grady. None of those teams had a Bannan type. I know the game has changed but even so.

Some comments on here like “Prem class” just vindicate why I think he’s the most over rated player with some of our fans that I’ve ever known for us. Good player. Yes. Value for money/type we need to get out of League One. Not for me.

Despite that I hope  I’m wrong and Bannan plays as he’s clearly capable of and plays a pivotal part in promotion. If he doesn’t and we don’t it’s time both parties went separate ways.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, room0035 said:

The problem I have with Bannan is when surrounded by better players he performs,  but when you need your captain to stand up and be counted he goes missing.

We should be getting at least 7 out of 10 every game. He is not a kid but a seasoned pro. 1 goal and 4 assists in 18 games is that good enough for our most expensive player.

Other in the league, 

Twine has 9 goals, 6 assists in 19 games.

Gregory has 4 assists and 7 goals in 18 games.

McGeady has 4 assists and 3 goals in 14 games.

Kieran Lee has 3 goals and 4 assists in 7 games.

Has as been pointed out look at the goal that Windass scored Bazza played the ball that made that goal but the assist goes to Shodipo 

I don’t need stats to know just how good BB is I’ve got eyes 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Barry Bannan again eh?

I think the OP putting him 2nd in POTM in front of Corbeanu says a lot of how some fasn view him but equally I don’t think any fan “hates”.

Bannan ticks a lot boxes. Great attitude, can never accuse him of hiding, always puts a real  shift in,  rarely injured, good captain off the pitch if not so much on it. good passer of the ball and has a good dig on him although doesn’t seem to utilise it nowhere near enough. Overall you’d have to question anyone who doesn’t actually like him for us.

However, his wage and what fee he may command are a huge consideration. On the negative side he’s a creative midfielder who scores 1 goal in 20 games. His assist stats compared to some others don’t support the claim he’s the best player in the league either. As for what others think of him. There wasn’t one “serious” offer for him from a Championship manager in the summer to test our resolve to keep him.

I like Bannan and like others that see his shortcomings certainly don’t “hate” him. If you’re asking me though are we getting value for money (granted not his fault) from the clubs wage outlay I’d say not. For me I’d be willing to sell Bannan in January if they were any takers. The fee and wages should enable us to acquire two or three top players at Lge 1 level and make the squad as a whole stronger. I was only a very young kid when we got promotion in 1980 but none the less I’ve seen us get out of the third tier three times. There’s a tried and tested way and all those three promotion sides had similar traits and comparable players. Pickering, Bullen, Jones. Johnson, Whelan, Semedo. Curran, Brunt, Antonio. Andy Mac, Jones, O Grady. None of those teams had a Bannan type. I know the game has changed but even so.

Some comments on here like “Prem class” just vindicate why I think he’s the most over rated player with some of our fans that I’ve ever known for us. Good player. Yes. Value for money/type we need to get out of League One. Not for me.

Despite that I hope  I’m wrong and Bannan plays as he’s clearly capable of and plays a pivotal part in promotion. If he doesn’t and we don’t it’s time both parties went separate ways.

Ah the old we never had a offer for him myth 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 0742 said:

Ok so be classed as premier League quality it's just about being able to knock in a decent "slide rule pass". Because that's all you've actually highlighted as the marker.

The rest is correlation, not causation. Let's see his stats improve, better set pieces delivery, improved assists and goals with all these better players around him. 

One things for absolute certain, anyone who thinks Barry bannan is premier League quality is absolutely bankers. Great player, best player we've had the last few years, but the reason he's not premier League quality is highlighted by the fact he's playing in league one.

nobody including me has said Bannan is premier league quality.

read back (original post on page 1) saying some of the things he does are premier league quality which they absolutely are.

He is a very very good player at league one level and every manger in this division and a lot of the championship would have him in their team in a heart beat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIG D said:

Old 0742 is one of the main haters. Absolute pudding. 

lol

Ahh you're obsessed mate, unable to actually discuss the points raised, so reduce it to school yard terminology such as haters. I bet you still write ''NOT' and 'END OF' on your facebook posts too

:duntmatter:

• Like 1

Just now, sw1867 said:

nobody including me has said Bannan is premier league quality.

read back (original post on page 1) saying some of the things he does are premier league quality which they absolutely are.

He is a very very good player at league one level and every manger in this division and a lot of the championship would have him in their team in a heart beat.

Correction, he's an amazing player at league one level. Literally nobody disputes, but using the term premier league quality about barry bannan is ridiculous. Well it is to any sane person, but some of the fan boys on think he's actually good enough to play in the premier league 

lol

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

Ahh you're obsessed mate, unable to actually discuss the points raised, so reduce it to school yard terminology such as haters. I bet you still write ''NOT' and 'END OF' on your facebook posts too

:duntmatter:

At least your mate has liked your post

• Haha 1

On 28/11/2021 at 18:32, stanningtonowl said:

Looking at how direct and attacking Windass, Corbeanau, Luongo even Shodipo are, it shows how much Bannan slows play down. There’s a place for him in the team but he’s not the be all and end all. 

Bannan is a playmaker. He doesn't slow the play down on purpose, he controls the ball and looks at what is on. In fairness, he's already doing that before he has the ball, because he can read the game and make space for himself. If the players around him are lacking confidence / average / played out of position, his options drop and he looks out of form. He gets frustrated and has the odd rant. If he has Forestieri, Hooper, Reach, Fletcher etc moving and showing for the ball, he looks class. Particularly if he is allowed / decides to play further forward. 

He now has Windass, Corbeanau, Luongo and Shodipo as his options. On form, playing well and full of confidence. Keep this momentum going, and Bannan will be on fire, with the others benefitting. And it will be good to watch.

The key to Bannan isn't direct assists, it's how he opens up play with a key pass before the assist, or a pass that opens play. 

I love Bannan, love watching him play. There's very few others I could say the same about over the last 10 / 15 years or so. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The coach said:

If bazza was on about 10k a week he would get a lot more love...he simply dosnt warrant his mammoth pay packet..it’s bonkers in the 3rd duvision

Add Byers and Wing's wages together and it must come somewhere near Bannan's, we've seen very little from both these players so far this season. 

Nether have warranted a run in side. 

13:52 for what Bannan does best. Tells the player where to put it, already knowing what he wants to do and where Reach is. No assist there. 

But he doesn't get many assists, claim the critics who don't get what Bannan does.

The whole thing is a bit of an enjoyable watch too. Bannan puts a decent corner or two in if I remember right 😀

• Like 2