Bannan

44 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I didn’t say he should be playing in the premier league. I was agreeing SOME of the things he does are premier league quality.

Such as what?!

Bearing in mind, he's on premier league wages, playing against 3rd tier players and he's hardly tearing the league a new one is he.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 0742 said:

Such as what?!

Bearing in mind, he's on premier league wages, playing against 3rd tier players and he's hardly tearing the league a new one is he.

If he’s on a fiver a week or £50k a week, that has nothing to do with judging his performance.

His ability to open up a defence with a slide rule pass is premier league quality. As others have said, the better players he plays with, the better he is. This is being seen now with the return of Massimo.

I genuinely find it staggering how anyone can’t see what a fabulous player he is and it’s even a discussion topic. 

I’m not saying for one second he is beyond reproach (which should be discussed). Even if you don’t think he is a great player it is as plane as the nose on your face that he does a lot more things right than wrong.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

The only slight negative I’d say on Bannan is his lack of goals. It’s a shame because with his quality surely he’s capable of 10+ goals in this league 

Bannan wouldnt score 10 goals in Sunday League. Its just not his game. Same as taking good corners, or winning headers, or tackling, or encouraging his team mates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, sw1867 said:

If he’s on a fiver a week or £50k a week, that has nothing to do with judging his performance.

His ability to open up a defence with a slide rule pass is premier league quality. As others have said, the better players he plays with, the better he is. This is being seen now with the return of Massimo.

I genuinely find it staggering how anyone can’t see what a fabulous player he is and it’s even a discussion topic. 

I’m not saying for one second he is beyond reproach (which should be discussed). Even if you don’t think he is a great player it is as plane as the nose on your face that he does a lot more things right than wrong.

I think you have to take it into account.

Players are. always get judged on wages and transfer fees. You normally expect more from a player you brought for £5m then £1m, just the way it is.

Think Bannan being on a reported £27k per week is ridiculous at the is level, especially when he signed his new contract the club were saying it has cash flow problems.

But if I was manager and Bannan was available would be the first name on the team sheet.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sw1867 said:

So you would judge a team of players all on £30k a week each the same as you would judge a team of players all on £1k a week each. 

Bonkers logic

• Like 2

16 hours ago, room0035 said:

The problem I have with Bannan is when surrounded by better players he performs,  but when you need your captain to stand up and be counted he goes missing.

We should be getting at least 7 out of 10 every game. He is not a kid but a seasoned pro. 1 goal and 4 assists in 18 games is that good enough for our most expensive player.

Other in the league, 

Twine has 9 goals, 6 assists in 19 games.

Gregory has 4 assists and 7 goals in 18 games.

McGeady has 4 assists and 3 goals in 14 games.

Kieran Lee has 3 goals and 4 assists in 7 games.

I think you are missing the point made earlier; the one that says he’s rarely more than two passes away from a strike on goal.  It doesn’t have to be the final pass! I don’t know if such a stat exists but from my recollection, it’s not very often that Bannan is not very closely involved in a goal scoring move. Shodipo’s goal on Saturday was a classic example of that, despite the assist (quite rightly) going to Gregory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Belgradeowl said:

I think you are missing the point made earlier; the one that says he’s rarely more than two passes away from a strike on goal.  It doesn’t have to be the final pass! I don’t know if such a stat exists but from my recollection, it’s not very often that Bannan is not very closely involved in a goal scoring move. Shodipo’s goal on Saturday was a classic example of that, despite the assist (quite rightly) going to Gregory.

That’s why most of us want to see him further forward. Can’t get my head around people wanting to see him in the deep playmaker role.

Waste of time just watching him pass it around between the centre backs.

13 hours ago, steelerian said:

Bannan wouldnt score 10 goals in Sunday League. Its just not his game. Same as taking good corners, or winning headers, or tackling, or encouraging his team mates.

I really feel the whole Bannan can't take set pieces thing is a bit of a myth.

He takes far more decent ones than poor ones in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

I really feel the whole Bannan can't take set pieces thing is a bit of a myth.

He takes far more decent ones than poor ones in my opinion. 

I’d say he has mixed success on corners particularly. Sometimes they just seem to float over every player and sometimes they are whipped in and create good opportunities. Personally I like the new setup where there is a mix of players taking them as it makes them way harder to defend. No player should have to be responsible for every single set piece and I would say Bannans percentage of good ones have increased since he’s not been taking all of them. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, sw1867 said:

Ok so be classed as premier League quality it's just about being able to knock in a decent "slide rule pass". Because that's all you've actually highlighted as the marker.

The rest is correlation, not causation. Let's see his stats improve, better set pieces delivery, improved assists and goals with all these better players around him. 

One things for absolute certain, anyone who thinks Barry bannan is premier League quality is absolutely bankers. Great player, best player we've had the last few years, but the reason he's not premier League quality is highlighted by the fact he's playing in league one.

• Like 1