Worst away following

31 minutes ago, fatbloke no1 said:

There was loads more than that, that many at Swansea had to open separate bit for us

They were even more at other 2 grounds we were supposed to be banned from, Derby and Grimsby, probably 2 to 3,000 at Derby and not far off same at Grimsby. I remember going to ticket office at both grounds during week before games praying that they would sell us tickets on not suss out we were Wednesday fans. 

On 28/11/2021 at 12:04, Broomhill Owl said:

Away to Swansea and Bristol Rovers when we were banned in late seventies, about a dozen at each including me.

This was of course the 1980/81 season when our fans were banned after the Oldham riot game , it was 4 away games ( I went to the Grimsby one) and Wednesday fans weren't allowed to stand on the Kop or leppings lane at 4 home games , u think strangely enough we might have won all 4 of those.

On 28/11/2021 at 08:08, lanzaroteowl said:

Probably one of the mid '70s Friday night trips to Tranmere

I remember one where there was only a couple of hundred of us.

Shrewsbury in 75/76 season only about 200 of us if that. Hadn't won away all season and missed a penalty in last minute.

Also Forest the year before, which was the game that relegated us. Similar number.

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

Shrewsbury in 75/76 season only about 200 of us if that. Hadn't won away all season and missed a penalty in last minute.

Also Forest the year before, which was the game that relegated us. Similar number.

Went to Shrewsbury in '78 decent numbers of us.

Got arrested though before KO so don't know much about the game🤣

3 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Went to Shrewsbury in '78 decent numbers of us.

Got arrested though before KO so don't know much about the game🤣

The games I'm referring to were both midweek and in both cases the weather was sheite. Forest was snowing, Shrewsbury was like Noah's flood!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

The games I'm referring to were both midweek and in both cases the weather was sheite. Forest was snowing, Shrewsbury was like Noah's flood!

The game I went to was a Saturday. Decent night out after I got released.

Dreaded telling my parents Sunday morning though😒

Just now, lanzaroteowl said:

The game I went to was a Saturday. Decent night out after I got released.

Dreaded telling my parents Sunday morning though😒

Lots of pointing and shouting I'll bet!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Used to go to every game in the Eustace era, and we regularly used to take just a couple hundred to places like Spurs, Watford etc. our away support started to take off when Atkinson came in. 

Yes, you're right. I remember going down on Croftys coach to Millwall at that time and not many Wednesday fans there at all. Mind you, we were bloody awful. 

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Used to go to every game in the Eustace era, and we regularly used to take just a couple hundred to places like Spurs, Watford etc. our away support started to take off when Atkinson came in. 

To be fair taking 200 to Spurs and Watford was a decent effort when we didn't play at either ground under Eustace!

But yeah, grim days though, that late 1-0 defeat at Millwall stands out as a "highlight". Well, until you remember the 0-5 at Coventry.

On 28/11/2021 at 11:13, Quickly Kevin said:

I know numbers sold was higher but Plymouth away in cup looked very low. 300 or so?

Fair f*cks to those who did make the journey

Some people will do anything to get away from the missus 

• Haha 1

Pessimists ! Never mind the smallest lets look at the largest.

We sit in tenth place in England for largest Home  attendance of 72,481 Vs Man City 17th Feb 1934;  in reality we sit 8th as both Spurs and Arsenal eclipse us but only aided by their Wembley appearances. 

!966/67 We took over 22,000 to Stamford Bridge in a crowd of 52,481 exactly short by 20,000 of our home game with Man City.

But our greatest following ever has to be when we took off for Cardiff 42,000 home tickets sold plus the 2,000 sold to us by Hartlepool Utd.

Hast to be right up there as one of the biggest followings anywhere to a game played in a country other than your own. Millwall may share the accolade !   

2 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Pessimists ! Never mind the smallest lets look at the largest.

We sit in tenth place in England for largest Home  attendance of 72,481 Vs Man City 17th Feb 1934;  in reality we sit 8th as both Spurs and Arsenal eclipse us but only aided by their Wembley appearances. 

!966/67 We took over 22,000 to Stamford Bridge in a crowd of 52,481 exactly short by 20,000 of our home game with Man City.

But our greatest following ever has to be when we took off for Cardiff 42,000 home tickets sold plus the 2,000 sold to us by Hartlepool Utd.

Hast to be right up there as one of the biggest followings anywhere to a game played in a country other than your own. Millwall may share the accolade !   

Think Bristol Rovers too took over 40000. Not sure it beat our 40386 against Hartlepool. Think our worst record is the smallest support at a Wembley Cup Final against Arsenal in the Final game. Only 62000 attendance. Still after 4 visits maybe money and thrill had gone a bit thin. Don't think there were that many at Stamford Bridge for the 6th Round game, maybe 12/14000. Remember going and watching them score a last minute winner.

1 hour ago, vulva said:

I went to Old Trafford once when Colin West scored. Fairly sure there were less than 30k in the ground. We took about 1500. 

Thick Fog, I was on the Stretford with a manure mate. The cross came in from the right I'm sure West tripped over his boot laces before falling and his head accidentally connected with the ball making it look like the perfect diving header lol  Result 1-1.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Like 1

I have always been on the Left. So, I was doing advice work in Sheffield Centre Against Unemployment at our West Street Office when the phone rang.

" Hello SCAU, how can I help"

" I can no longer make the Southampton Cup replay and was wondering if you could call for the tickets and hand them on to a

deserving cause ?"

"Of course Sir let me take your details ?"

It wasn't just match tickets we had ICO tickets as well.

We had a bit of a defensive crisis and I believe it was Gavin Oliver making his debut. Wednesday put in a tremendous performance, as did Oliver, the 5-1 scoreline in Southamptons favour overly flattered them.