The ref yesterday

1 hour ago, Supersiggi2 said:

When Sky first started, they used to show how long the ball was in play. From memory it was about 60 mins most games. (Happy to be proved wrong).

Is it time to play 30 mins each way but stop the clock when the balls not in play?

Definitely think the clock should be stopped when the ball's not in play. Anyone going down with a (supposed) head injury should have to leave the pitch for 5 mins as well to ensure they're OK. Might stop players rolling round holding their bonce then springing to their feet once the ref's stopped play.

34 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Bristol City have had 2 players, including the keeper, booked for time wasting in the first half hour today.

We so need this ref at Hillsborough... 

Keeper after 19 minutes! He won't do it again!  Refs can stop this easily, as he has just proved. It's infuriating.

• Like 1

It wasn't just stockdale it was whole team. Ref should have told them after 3rd to time to hurry up then had a word with Gareth Ainswprth to tell him of he doesn't sped it up himself, he'll start to book them. This would have been on 20 min ish.

Apart from that aspect, the referee was actually solid yesterday. Let the game flow and did mot blow for anything overly soft. He isn't gonna be perfect, he's an amateur reffing in L1.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867
  • Like 1

On 28/11/2021 at 15:13, Birley Owl 1867 said:

It wasn't just stockdale it was whole team. Ref should have told them after 3rd to time to hurry up then had a word with Gareth Ainswprth to tell him of he doesn't sped it up himself, he'll start to book them. This would have been on 20 min ish.

Apart from that aspect, the referee was actually solid yesterday. Let the game flow and did mot blow for anything overly soft. He isn't gonna be perfect, he's an amateur reffing in L1.

That's how I saw his performance. Dint get overly stressed about owt and I thought managed a pretty physical game quite well.

When you look at all the money, analytic information, technology and assessments the referees get these days it baffles me how poor the standard still is. Also how however protected they are. And how they can get away with it without justification 

I’d love to see a programme dedicated to referees even if it’s on monthly just to debate the standard, here the reports, reviews assessors abs have done insight into why it’s utterly sh&te 

I can maybe understand them better but what I’ve seen so far this year I could get my 6 year older do better 

16 minutes ago, fpowl said:

When you look at all the money, analytic information, technology and assessments the referees get these days it baffles me how poor the standard still is. Also how however protected they are. And how they can get away with it without justification 

I’d love to see a programme dedicated to referees even if it’s on monthly just to debate the standard, here the reports, reviews assessors abs have done insight into why it’s utterly sh&te 

I can maybe understand them better but what I’ve seen so far this year I could get my 6 year older do better 

No, you couldn’t and neither could you yourself. The main reason why fans think refs are crap is because most of them haven’t a clue what most of the rules are

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ian said:

No, you couldn’t and neither could you yourself. The main reason why fans think refs are crap is because most of them haven’t a clue what most of the rules are

I take it players can still be offside when the keeper kicks the ball out of his hands because several times they had 2 or 3 stood a couple of yards offside when he kicked it, and despite them even winning the header, the offside was never given.  As for time wasting - some of these teams have got it off to a fine art - last 10 minutes I suppose you can expect it but after 20 minutes of the kick off it's not on.  Easy solution - the captains in charge on the pitch, give him a warning and then next time one of his team do it book the captain.

7 minutes ago, doubleo said:

I take it players can still be offside when the keeper kicks the ball out of his hands because several times they had 2 or 3 stood a couple of yards offside when he kicked it, and despite them even winning the header, the offside was never given.  As for time wasting - some of these teams have got it off to a fine art - last 10 minutes I suppose you can expect it but after 20 minutes of the kick off it's not on.  Easy solution - the captains in charge on the pitch, give him a warning and then next time one of his team do it book the captain.

I’m surprised you don’t watch the ball when attending games, it’s not usual to look in the other half of the pitch and you can’t just make up “easy solutions”. If a player is time wasting then you caution them, not the captain