"We Might Have Realised How Tough The Games Are"

I've thought for a large part of this season that we were in danger of underestimating the division, with some of the comments from players hinting at a certain arrogance which wasn't being backed up by performances on the pitch.

It was interesting therefore to hear Gregory's comments admitting as much in the lead-up to today's game:

"I think we might have realised how tough the games are.

"We're working harder than we ever have now...we're doing a lot more in training and it's definitely showing on the pitch as well."

Our league performances this calendar month have been much more like it, and we've seen the kind of fully-committed, hard-working, and determined displays which are necessary if we're going to have any hope of escaping from League One at the first time of asking.

Hopefully the penny's dropped and we continue in the same vein from now on.

• Like 8

I agree - think there was a belief that we were just going to rock up, roll the ball round, and cut through teams at will without breaking much of a sweat. And the start we had to the season probably fed that further too, which perhaps made it harder for us to then deal with reality when that poor spell hit us.  Good that the penny has dropped - even if you have one of the best squads, you still have to scrap in this league. 

• Like 5

Who can we thank for that penny? DM, the players, the sports psychologist? Either way what you’re saying is true, we’ll have to earn promotion. After watching today’s game, the guys appear level headed enough to go through. Attitude is everything. UTO 

• Like 3

We should know from before that you have to work hard to get out of this league. And you have to attack and look to win. If you do those, that extra little bit of quality we have over many other teams will put us in a good position.

Interesting that it took too many games to realize that and we are playing catch up, but if we keep doing what we've done for the last couple of games then we will have a good chance to be in the mix.

• Like 4

This division is horrible. I hear comments about “good teams”, I’ve yet to see one (except the Super Owls of course), “Effective teams” and “Effective tactics” yes, but good football teams - no.I’m fed up of the time waisting , spoiling tactics that hides the inability of the waste of spaces that describe themselves as professional footballers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

This league is garbage. Let’s not kid ourselves. 

It may not be blessed with loads of technically gifted teams, but there are plenty of hard-working, well-drilled, savvy teams at this level who have it in them to make every game a battle on their day.

It's a real slog of a division.

It seems like the squad have stopped underestimating the competition; hopefully those fans who still think it should be a cakewalk will do so soon, as well.

• Like 3

I expected a draw today. The issue for me is that whilst last two home matches have yielded 4 points, we've only been leading for a small period. 

We need to be more clinical with the possession and the quality players need to step up and create and convert chances.

We still haven't really beaten anyone convincedly.

5 minutes ago, Animis said:

I expected a draw today. The issue for me is that whilst last two home matches have yielded 4 points, we've only been leading for a small period. 

We need to be more clinical with the possession and the quality players need to step up and create and convert chances.

We still haven't really beaten anyone convincedly.

Sunderland?

It seems that from the Sunderland game onwards something seems to have “clicked”.

Me and my mates were sat at the game today (all of us had been calling for Moore to get sacked earlier in the season) and we agreed we are now looking like a top League 1 side.

We played Wycombe off the park today, there’s not a side we should fear at this level.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, doubleo said:

This division is horrible. I hear comments about “good teams”, I’ve yet to see one (except the Super Owls of course), “Effective teams” and “Effective tactics” yes, but good football teams - no.I’m fed up of the time waisting , spoiling tactics that hides the inability of the waste of spaces that describe themselves as professional footballers.

Think Oxford are best team  I have seen, even then we should have had a pen for the foul on Patto. not  been impressed with anybody else. think we can actually win this division if we sign a proper left back and centre half in jan.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

I was saying in the other thread I started about a clear the air meeting after a game, something has definitely changed 

Do you mean after the Cheltenham game when Dunkley said the following?

"Collectively we were disappointed, and we had a little row at the end of the game between players - because we’re frustrated...

“There was a heavy debate, I’d say, in the dressing room after the game… And that’s just frustration coming out… We’re not happy about it, but we have to dust ourselves down."

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Do you mean after the Cheltenham game when Dunkley said the following?

"Collectively we were disappointed, and we had a little row at the end of the game between players - because we’re frustrated...

“There was a heavy debate, I’d say, in the dressing room after the game… And that’s just frustration coming out… We’re not happy about it, but we have to dust ourselves down."

Yes , wasn’t sure what game it was though 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

It seems that from the Sunderland game onwards something seems to have “clicked”.

Me and my mates were sat at the game today (all of us had been calling for Moore to get sacked earlier in the season) and we agreed we are now looking like a top League 1 side.

We played Wycombe off the park today, there’s not a side we should fear at this level.

At any level.....