Dave Bennett

15 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I remember going to the QPR game and we absolutely battered them but just couldn’t score.

As I remember it that was the usual story, certainly for the games I watched. Outplaying teams and losing 3-2 was my lasting memory of that season. Can't remember specific games.

I remember seeing Dave Bennett, Tricky Trev and Franz Carr play for us on the wing that season. I came away from games with the impression they were playing passes and taking crosses other players couldn't see.

A completely different world / game back then.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Nowt to do with losing something like 8 out of the last nine games then? 

Yes I guess my badly made point was that when you get off to a really poor start you can’t afford another bad spell like we had at the end of the season.

• Like 1

Spoke to Ron not long after we signed him and he said he felt we needed a winger and put calls in to Bennett and Mark Chamberlain. Bennett was sorted first so he didn't need Chamberlain too. Both cheap options at the end of their careers bit I thought Bennett was ok without being sparkling, all considered 

• Like 1

I know that one of Coventry's club historians is writing Dave Bennett's autobiography with him. Might make an Interesting read 

I watched the Zenith Data Systems game against the Blunts back a while ago. The one with Sheridan's wonder goal.  Anyhow, Bennett also had an excellent game. 

On 27/11/2021 at 15:45, nuneatonowl1 said:

Lives a couple of roads from me and often have a chat & a few beers with him discussing all things football in my local. Has some great stories from his football career and is good company. 

He’s a great lad. Chatted to him over the years in The Crows, The Bull, The Arms and Aldi 😂

On 27/11/2021 at 11:02, York_Owl said:

Think we signed him after missing out on Gordon Strachan (what a signing he would have been).

Decent enough player maybe not quite quick enough to be really dangerous out wide. Was in the side that hammered Coventry 4-1 away which was a great day out that season.

Remember that game well despite (? because of) spending much of it talking to a female police officer.

If I remember rightly, a Hirsty shot hit the bar so hard it bounced almost as far back as the half way line.... (or did me young mind just make that up??)

On 28/11/2021 at 19:50, Bleeder said:

Remember that game well despite (? because of) spending much of it talking to a female police officer.

If I remember rightly, a Hirsty shot hit the bar so hard it bounced almost as far back as the half way line.... (or did me young mind just make that up??)

Never knew about Strachan - he would have been a great signing.   

Wilco of course managed to get him to Leeds and the rest was history.

On 28/11/2021 at 19:01, Albertowl said:

He’s a great lad. Chatted to him over the years in The Crows, The Bull, The Arms and Aldi 😂

You’ve missed out the Fox 😀. That’s the last place I had a good old matter with him over several beers. Are you still in Nuneaton as I no doubt see you out and about. Ps. Was in the Crows yesterday afternoon, recognises the new Manager had a Sheffield accent and got the worse reply imaginable when I asked him who he supported. 😳. It was the 🐷’s 

1 hour ago, nuneatonowl1 said:

You’ve missed out the Fox 😀. That’s the last place I had a good old matter with him over several beers. Are you still in Nuneaton as I no doubt see you out and about. Ps. Was in the Crows yesterday afternoon, recognises the new Manager had a Sheffield accent and got the worse reply imaginable when I asked him who he supported. 😳. It was the 🐷’s 

I escaped  a couple of years ago thankfully, but only just down the road, so always in and around Nuneaton. Thanks for the tip-off re the Crows Nest,  i'll avoid from now on.....well, unless there's ever another 2012 type double celebration / gloat to be had of course.

4 hours ago, Albertowl said:

I escaped  a couple of years ago thankfully, but only just down the road, so always in and around Nuneaton. Thanks for the tip-off re the Crows Nest,  i'll avoid from now on.....well, unless there's ever another 2012 type double celebration / gloat to be had of course.

Absolutely I’ll be straight in there when I get the chance of any small gloat. I’m still here after 27 years and love it despite the odd gripe. About 15 years ago I met a massive family of Owls and several others since so I feel more at home 👍🏻👍🏻