Social Media Engagement

Maybe this is reflective of where we have been as a club for the last 5 years post Playoffs, but our interactions and followers across all our social channels is significantly behind our neighbours from across the city. 

Facebook

SWFC - 360k followers 

SUFC - 560k followers 

Twitter

SWFC - 330k followers

SUFC - 450k followers

TikTok

SWFC - 45k followers / 870k likes 

SUFC - 921k followers / 16m likes 

Instagram 

SWFC - 95k followers 

SUFC - 533k followers

You could say who cares, probably the average person doesn't - but in the age of engagement with fans (think influences/celebrities - promoting their brand/products) then it's huge for us a club/business, in particular for building the brand amongst a certain demographic. Twitter/Facebook are generalised as having an older demographic of users - where we're almost on an even level with the Blades, however TikTok and Instagram are generally more popular amongst the younger generation and we have a major gap in our engagement here with this part of the fanbase online. 

Is it purely the Premier League effect that has driven the United brand further and wider across the globe? Or have we switched off the younger generation coming through what has been sky high ticket prices outside of season tickets for the last 5 years?  Or are we just not savvy enough in this department right now vs the Blades social team? It'd be interesting to see if those stats are inline with the demographic who turns up at matches - what % of our attendance are 21 and below?

These are the future Wednesdayites and online should be where we are looking to reach out and pull them in, particularly in periods of us doing 'well' an when the tide might be turning vs United right now - locally and nationally to build our brand again. 

1 minute ago, TodwickOwl said:

Maybe this is reflective of where we have been as a club for the last 5 years post Playoffs, but our interactions and followers across all our social channels is significantly behind our neighbours from across the city. 

Facebook

SWFC - 360k followers 

SUFC - 560k followers 

Twitter

SWFC - 330k followers

SUFC - 450k followers

TikTok

SWFC - 45k followers / 870k likes 

SUFC - 921k followers / 16m likes 

Instagram 

SWFC - 95k followers 

SUFC - 533k followers

You could say who cares, probably the average person doesn't - but in the age of engagement with fans (think influences/celebrities - promoting their brand/products) then it's huge for us a club/business, in particular for building the brand amongst a certain demographic. Twitter/Facebook are generalised as having an older demographic of users - where we're almost on an even level with the Blades, however TikTok and Instagram are generally more popular amongst the younger generation and we have a major gap in our engagement here with this part of the fanbase online. 

Is it purely the Premier League effect that has driven the United brand further and wider across the globe? Or have we switched off the younger generation coming through what has been sky high ticket prices outside of season tickets for the last 5 years?  Or are we just not savvy enough in this department right now vs the Blades social team? It'd be interesting to see if those stats are inline with the demographic who turns up at matches - what % of our attendance are 21 and below?

These are the future Wednesdayites and online should be where we are looking to reach out and pull them in, particularly in periods of us doing 'well' an when the tide might be turning vs United right now - locally and nationally to build our brand again. 

Don't believe the numbers either

Just before the club was sold/bought the number of social media followers/likes jumped up overnight - by a LOT 

SUFC's numbers don't look genuine to me either 

Owlstalk Shop

More than Half being the EPL, less than half United have been a bit more global than us, since McCabe really.

Our numbers aren't bad considering we've been out of the spotlight for 20+ years.

• Like 1

Interesting timing. The club have just tweeted that they’re doing a video with Morgz today.

If you don’t know who Morgz is, don’t bother looking. Maybe he’s a nice enough lad but his channel/content is absolutely hideous. 

Still, for whatever reason he’s insanely popular. I assume it’s the type of thing the club should be doing with all this stuff.

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

Interesting timing. The club have just tweeted that they’re doing a video with Morgz today.

If you don’t know who Morgz is, don’t bother looking. Maybe he’s a nice enough lad but his channel/content is absolutely hideous. 

Still, for whatever reason he’s insanely popular. I assume it’s the type of thing the club should be doing with all this stuff.

Morgz ain't my thing at all but like you say the young kids seem to love him so fair play for them collaborating with him again - its' 100% definitely the right thing to do and a good move

Could end up engaging with some youngsters that end up becoming lifelong fans

Owlstalk Shop

It's the modern generation I'm afraid. You get to the prem and all of a sudden you become relevant on the global stage.

Kids that would watch Manchester United etc suddenly find a new team they've not heard of before. 

Let's not forget they almost made Europe. They were widely reported by the sports press so obviously they'd gain extra attention because of that. 

The only press we seem to have lately is negative press. 

I'm hoping the social media campaign we seem to be undertaking can resolve some of that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest DoesJackHunt

They were in the premiership for a couple of seasons, which will have significantly raised their online profile globally. 

I follow most clubs and a lot of players from top divisions across Europe as I'm sure a lot of football fans do..... and then there's the sports/ football journalists who will keep tabs on top flight clubs as well.

It would be nice to have a bigger online presence but I don't think it's a huge deal and nothing a couple of seasons in the premier league wouldn't sort out in my opinion.. 

Good to see Wednesday reaching out to Morgz as this will hopefully raise Wednesdays profile with a younger audience, probably can't do any harm anyway. 

1 minute ago, DoesJackHunt said:

They were in the premiership for a couple of seasons, which will have significantly raised their online profile globally. 

I follow most clubs and a lot of players from top divisions across Europe as I'm sure a lot of football fans do..... and then there's the sports/ football journalists who will keep tabs on top flight clubs as well.

It would be nice to have a bigger online presence but I don't think it's a huge deal and nothing a couple of seasons in the premier league wouldn't sort out in my opinion.. 

Good to see Wednesday reaching out to Morgz as this will hopefully raise Wednesdays profile with a younger audience, probably can't do any harm anyway. 

Perfect summary that!

Owlstalk Shop