Shetland anyone?

Holmowl

Incredible for birdwatching. Gets all kinds of rare birds dropping in, especially during migration season, so a lot of birders holiday there. Many even choose to work there - usually at the oil refineries, etc - so that they can earn a decent wage and then do top-level twitching in their spare time.

Other than that, I can't help you much.

• Thanks 1

On 26/11/2021 at 09:07, Holmowl said:

Anyone tried it?

Mrs H and I are fans of the TV drama and think it looks a really interesting place for a short trip.

I actually live up here as it happens! If you want any info in particular about aspects of visiting Shetland (inc travel here, what there is to see etc) I’d be happy to pass on info. It’s actually the first time I’ve posted on owlstalk I think (prefer the lurking to the posting)… I tried to pop you a direct message but I’ve not posted enough yet!

As punkskaphil said we get loads of people coming for the birding, that’s a big draw for sure, but plenty other stuff here too, please feel free to ask.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, Chilli Sauce said:

I actually live up here as it happens! If you want any info in particular about aspects of visiting Shetland (inc travel here, what there is to see etc) I’d be happy to pass on info. It’s actually the first time I’ve posted on owlstalk I think (prefer the lurking to the posting)… I tried to pop you a direct message but I’ve not posted enough yet!

As punkskaphil said we get loads of people coming for the birding, that’s a big draw for sure, but plenty other stuff here too, please feel free to ask.

Thanks I absolutely will.

• Like 1

We had a week and a bit there back in 2017. Curiously, there was a lady from Canada in the first Air B&B we stayed in who had come over because she liked the TV series.

I would definitely go again.

People are friendly.

Getting around is easy, even between the islands.

Unst, the most northerly island, is wonderful; and the coast walk up to its northernmost point, the very north of the UK is something I'll never forget

It's not particularly like the western isles in character. More Scandi in feel, and fairly prosperous.

Very interesting place; yes, definitely, recommended

• Thanks 1

As a kid I remember either Bluepeter or Newsround featured the burning of a Replica Viking long boat as some sort of homage to their ancestors. They would carry it through the streets, wait for dusk and set it on fire. 

And then there’s the Wicker Man. 

• Haha 1

On 26/11/2021 at 09:07, Holmowl said:

Anyone tried it?

Mrs H and I are fans of the TV drama and think it looks a really interesting place for a short trip.

Only just seen this H but if you want any info and haven’t been yet give me a shout. I’ve got family up there so can help with any tips/suggestions 👍

• Thanks 1