Womens football

owler66

This round of results has set the women's game back and really dented it's reputation.

20-0 is a score you get in junior football where it's chaotic and unorganised.

If I was a promoter of women's footballer I would be embarrassed reporting on this .

If the women's game is to be taken seriously, they need to sort out the tournament and league structure and levels to prevent this from happening.

I'm extra annoyed with this as I've been encourage my 8 year old daughter to get into football, and she saw this reported on Newsround this morning and thinks that it is what football should be, that 20 - 0 is a result to aspire to.

Goalkeeping is a real issue.

Yes, you of course get women who are 6ft plus tall, but the average height is well below that and full size goals are eight feet in height.

I saw a clip from the game last night and the Latvia keeper was 5ft 5 at most. You wouldn't have a 5ft 5 male keeper, would you? Heck, in the men's game a 6ft keeper is deemed small!

Pretty sure the Chelsea women's manager, Emma Hayes, said the goal size should be reduced. 

The standard of women's goalkeeping has improved for the top countries but it's still woefully poor. 

As above, the goals are too big. I think the difference in average height between men and women is about 6 inches so maybe reduce the goals by that much?

I remember playing as a kid and beating the worst team in the league 21-0. That shouldn't be happening in international football.

From the Guardians match report.

"Shortly after the restart and White had a hat-trick of her own and was level with Gary Lineker and Harry Kane on 48 England goals and five shy of Wayne Rooney’s record tally of 53".

Unbelieveable they are putting her on the same level as Lineker, Rooney and Kane.

lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

From the Guardians match report.

"Shortly after the restart and White had a hat-trick of her own and was level with Gary Lineker and Harry Kane on 48 England goals and five shy of Wayne Rooney’s record tally of 53".

Unbelieveable they are putting her on the same level as Lineker, Rooney and Kane.

lol

I hate when they say this it's a totally different game

• Like 2

As a point of reference - look at how Fallon Sherrock is looked upon in the darts world.

She's celebrated and embraced because she's brilliant, and because she's better than the majority of her male counterparts. 

Again - calling out the abysmal standard of women's football isn't 'mysogynistic' - it's realistic. People aren't just having a laugh at women's football because of some sort of ingrained sexism - it's because women's football is really, really, really bad.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1867owl said:

What did you make of it mate?

Decent yeah?

Very professional performance yeah.

In the early days of men's football the stronger teams tended to thrash the weaker ones.

Hopefully the weaker teams improve and become competitive over the next few years.

9 hours ago, Rodger Wylde said:

I'm not generally a knocker of women's football but there is a strong belief amongst many that Ecclesfield Red Rose would beat the England women's team.

Would Ecclesfield red rose beat an Professional club’s u16 side because a couple of times this age group have beat top international sides (USA and Aus)