Blunts appoint Heckingbottom as manager

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

Not being funny, but I could have sworn he's already been there manager.

Has he been caretaker manager or something in the past?

If he's managed to get anything longer than a 6 month contract he's absolutely rinsed them. If he lasts a year I'll be stunned. 

Just checked, he was their flippin manager earlier this year, guiding them gently to relegation. 

I'm confused as to why he is back there? did he never leave and was hanging around on the coaching staff?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Just checked, he was their flippin manager earlier this year, guiding them gently to relegation. 

I'm confused as to why he is back there? did he never leave and was hanging around on the coaching staff?  

He was Under 23s coach who stepped up like Thompson and Bullen have with Wednesday to be caretaker manager and like Bullen and Thompson have done went back to Under 23s coach when someone else was appointed on a permanent basis.

You do get impression he will need to get better results than perhaps the players are capable of to win the fans over.

13 hours ago, Spookone said:

So much for a “well run club”.

I think like us, they gambled and lost. Wilder wanted to strengthen the team, they gave him the cash and it failed. Their financial fallback position was the parachute payments, but I don't think the board were actually expecting to have to use them to pay back the money they've spent. 

When they got relegated, they needed an immediate return to the PL or they could be in a mess and that looks like happening now. The sale of Ramsdale will have reduced that mess somewhat (maybe by £4M initially), but they've some expensive salaries being paid out on players who are now worth a fraction of their cost. It doesn't look good.

Shame lol

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, ChapSmurf said:

but they've some expensive salaries being paid out on players who are now worth a fraction of their cost. It doesn't look good.

Exactly...oh how they laughed at us.

They are about to find out how difficult it is to shift big earners...

Gambling is a mugs game...

Except for £25 doubles..😁

• Haha 1

I think Slavisa Jokanovic was on an absolute fortune (Nixon says the guy likes big money) so given the league position, lack of direction and probably his demands they decided to cut their losses. I imagine his compensation may change as he advances in the job; hence letting him go sooner rather than later.

It's a cheap appointment but is probably realisation that there's going to be cost cutting years ahead.

5 hours ago, bradowl said:

You can bet that shop at Meadowhell will be shut down after Christmas. 

A big unit like that costs a fortune and once fans turn there back on buying clubs gear it will be gone. 

Depends on what you mean by after Christmas.

I'll give it until the end of the January sales possibly followed by a "Final Clearance/Closing Down Sale"

Bit like Cornell Furs!

lol

10 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

The day I stop caring about them is the day I'll knock it all on the 'ead I reckon. Its about rivalry at the end of the day. Us against them. Our tribe versus their tribe. It's primal. They hate us, we hate them. We rise above it all when it matters, see the response to Fleck and his health the other night, but deep down we know that the 2 club city rivalry is what makes football in Sheffield special. 

Just move the thread to the non swfc football section so it doesn't clutter up matchday. God forbid it takes people's attention away from yet another thread about Bannan or DM. 

I agree with every word but I don't care for united to be discussed on this site unless we are due to play them.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bradowl said:

You can bet that shop at Meadowhell will be shut down after Christmas. 

A big unit like that costs a fortune and once fans turn there back on buying clubs gear it will be gone. 

Not much profit when the adult fans  buy kids shirts then try to stretch them  to make them into a adult size😁

20 hours ago, bobowl said:

Unfortunately both Wednesday and United are in trouble. We are linked together in history. Let's hope we can both stay in business. 

TBF... If I am being ultra cynical, I do not like where this is heading for both clubs. The rot does seem to have stopped for now at Wednesday. But imagine what might be on the table with both clubs in League One in two to three years time, both facing administration. Lets hope that day never comes.

• Like 1

Heckingbottom is laughing all the way to the bank if he sacked after half a season. 4 years pay in his pocket. Strange decision for a financially struggling club to offer such a long contract. Maybe the actual wage is very low in comparison to other managers. So to make it worth signing they have increased the contract length.