Charlie Wyke

H2Owl

I agree.  I’m as pro vaccine, wear your mask etc as they come, so no conspiracy theories or anti-vax agenda here. 

I’m no medical expert, but is there anything in the theory that everyone’s bodies, whether you’ve had the vaccine or not, will be working harder to try and hold off covid? And will covid be impacting the whole health ecosystem and making other traditionally milder illnesses stronger (almost everyone seems to have had this mega cold already this winter), which again is putting more pressures on bodies? With these factors, and professional sportspeople pushing themselves to the limit anyway, could this be part of it?

16 hours ago, 0742 said:

I had covid last November, before there was a vaccine available to me. 2 days in, i performed a few tests on myself with some colleagues, such as lung function, breathing frequency and oxygen consumption at different exercise intensity and heart rates. I'd ran the same tests only 5 weeks prior, so had all the data i needed compare. The results although expected, still really shocked me, with a 50% reduction in maximal oxygen consumption. Not only was my ability to pull in oxygen massively impaired, but my ability to even get it out of my lungs and to the muscles was massively reduced too. I'm no spring chicken anymore and it took me a good few months to get back to what i considered normal again and used respiratory muscle trainer to help me. I also got to see how covid impacted professional athletes performance too, the only difference is they on the whole recovered much quicker.

Hopefully the cardiology report comes back and the Dr's can help you put a plan together to get back to where you were pre-covid. Don't be disheartened though, it takes time but you'll get there.

Thanks

18 hours ago, 0742 said:

It was a generalisation to your posting style. 

"non nonhomognous"?! It's a study looking at FIFA registered footballers. What we do know about most of the names you listed, is some were cardiac related. 

But put that aside, rather than listing just a names, you could post some numbers up to back up your 'spike' comment, because not doing is simply non-science!

they're not homogenised groups - no matter how much you say its not science 

Its not science to compare players who have had cardiac screens (and multiple ones at that) with those that haven't been screened

Your study says 42% of events were cardiomyopathy - that is a group that would almost all have been screened out and not allowed to play in many cases

Cardiomyopathy is detected by ECG alone in 95% of cases - never mind the further testing top level players have to go through

So those numbers taken out of the overall cardiac events in the FIFA study corrupts the comparison by a big margin

You want facts and data where it is scarce and by the very measure of this novel disease we have been working in front of the evidence to a large degree and that is the case in sport because we simply do not have reliable longitudinal data for comparison.

We know covid has multi-system effects potentially and if this spike in events is coincidence then fine - but it needs to be ascertained

59 minutes ago, scram said:

Its not science to compare players who have had cardiac screens (and multiple ones at that) with those that haven't been screened

Your study says 42% of events were cardiomyopathy - that is a group that would almost all have been screened out and not allowed to play in many cases

Cardiomyopathy is detected by ECG alone in 95% of cases - never mind the further testing top level players have to go through

So those numbers taken out of the overall cardiac events in the FIFA study corrupts the comparison by a big margin

You want facts and data where it is scarce and by the very measure of this novel disease we have been working in front of the evidence to a large degree and that is the case in sport because we simply do not have reliable longitudinal data for comparison.

We know covid has multi-system effects potentially and if this spike in events is coincidence then fine - but it needs to be ascertained

Nailed it in your last line mate. Why would anyone not want this looking at? 

2 hours ago, scram said:

Ok some good points and i appreciate the time you took to put that reply together, rather than brushing off cold toned one's previously. 

I think linking recent instances to covid is the problem i have with language inferring huge spikes or rafts, because we're so far away from being able to ascertain that, plus these are human beings, many people are forgetting that, just to point score. 

6 hours ago, blueandwhitematt said:

I’m no medical expert, but is there anything in the theory that everyone’s bodies, whether you’ve had the vaccine or not, will be working harder to try and hold off covid? 

Absolutely not

6 hours ago, blueandwhitematt said:

And will covid be impacting the whole health ecosystem and making other traditionally milder illnesses stronger (almost everyone seems to have had this mega cold already this winter), which again is putting more pressures on bodies? 

Almost certainly yes. We've been exposing ourselves to far fewer pathogens over the last 18 months than has been normal for all our lives. Our immune systems are going to be out of practice as it were. Think of how frequently kids get sick, and they can sometimes exhibit quite strong symptoms as their body goes into overdrive to fight off infection. We're all going to be in a similar spot for a bit as our body gets back into the swing of fighting off pathogens on a regular basis. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2