Defensive Crisis

19 minutes ago, BlinkerTheThinker said:

I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but one injury to Palmer, Brennan or worst case Dunkley and we’re in trouble in my opinion. Does anyone know when Hutch or Iorfa are back I can’t seem to find a date on those two. 

Isn’t she the daughter of the late Blue Peter Gardening Expert ‘ Percy’🤣

11 minutes ago, BlinkerTheThinker said:

I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but one injury to Palmer, Brennan or worst case Dunkley and we’re in trouble in my opinion. Does anyone know when Hutch or Iorfa are back I can’t seem to find a date on those two. 

We have know since the start of preseason, our defensive options were iorfa coming back after 9 months out with an ACL, Hutch a player who has knee issues that finish his career, and Dunkley a player who got a leg break in Feb 2020 and never got for the whole of last season.

Then also we brought in an injury prone lad from Everton with no pre-season and then a few kids who has not got any first team experience.

With a squad of players who were going to have to play 50+ games in a season and often 3 games in 7 days, it was not a massive surprise to the fans that we were going to be short a centre back.

the surprise is 3 months later we have still not tried to sort the issue and instead are playing players out of position, instead of signing someone or giving youth a chance. There are free agents out there but the longer it is left the bigger the issue with fitness and the likely injury. Look at last season we sign Flint who has barely played because of the Covid break, didn't get him match fit and he got injured and we never saw him again, he went back to Cardiff got match fit and was one of their better players.

should Palmer get injured we have Brown, should Hunt get injured we can either play Palmer or bring Dawodu back from his loan. Or maybe there is a youth team option. The big worry is if Dunkley gets injured we lose that valuable experience and with Iorfa and Hutch some way of its a big issue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, modboy said:

its a worry he says hes no longer looking to bring someone in before the transfer window.

Brennan has done ok but if we are seríous about pushing on we need alternatives 

If any free agents are going to take several weeks to get match fit, then we may as well wait for the transfer window to open and get our offers in early, I suppose.

Our lack of depth at in the defence department at present is also a concern to me given our current luck with injuries.

I think with Brennan playing alongside Dunkley will hugely aid his development and confidence in his ability. It’s good to see younger players stepping up when first team opportunities arise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Oh well, we’ll just have to use the Kevin Keegan tactic - if they score 3 we’ll score 4.  Maybe this is why DM’s gone all front foot all of a sudden and it works.

I know you are joking but actually we’ve improved massively since we started playing more attack-capable players either side of Dunkley. First Johnson, then Palmer, and we’ve looked different gravy going forward, and not suffered defensively.

I think now we have Mendez-Laing that if Palmer or Brennan get injured they would probably slot Hunt in at RCB. Paterson is another option. Please lets not try Brown at LCB again. I guess Johnson is back in a couple of weeks too?

Our only real concern is if Dunkley were to get injured, as I don't know who could play that 'head everything away' role except Iorfa, and he's out for a while.

There might be an option to move Luongo (or Hutchinson when he's back) to that central CB position, but they play more as a sweeper than challenging for the ball all the time.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

I know you are joking but actually we’ve improved massively since we started playing more attack-capable players either side of Dunkley. First Johnson, then Palmer, and we’ve looked different gravy going forward, and not suffered defensively.

I said it tongue in cheek but I’ve advocated it for ages. These are 3rd division defenders/keepers we’re talking about. With a few exceptions, they’re 3rd division players because at their stage of their careers they’re not good enough for any higher. Not talking hoof and hope football but get the ball in and around the box and mistakes will happen. When we’ve run at teams and closed them down they’ve crumbled. They don’t like it up ‘em.

2 hours ago, modboy said:

its a worry he says hes no longer looking to bring someone in before the transfer window.

Brennan has done ok but if we are seríous about pushing on we need alternatives 

It's not like there are a lot of options out there.

Basically the one free agent that is fit enough to slot straight in was Mariappa, who has elected to go for a nice sunny semi-retirement in Australia instead.

Guest DoesJackHunt
3 hours ago, BlinkerTheThinker said:

Your're not doing a very good job at not being a Debbie downer!

2 weeks