Sports psychologist

How long as he been at the club? did I dream Moore brought one in a month or so ago to help with the mental side of the game and why we keep drawing or losing points from winning positions 

As the change of recent form ( bit early to say ) or the more attacking play in both half of the games been a contribution to the work this blokes done  or is it just clicking for us now 

I always wondered how you measure the actual success of these appointments 

obviously a turn around in results or performances is the one I get that. my point being do we know if this has been a factor of the recent improvement or is it coincidental 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fpowl said:

How long as he been at the club? did I dream Moore brought one in a month or so ago to help with the mental side of the game and why we keep drawing or losing points from winning positions 

As the change of recent form ( bit early to say ) or the more attacking play in both half of the games been a contribution to the work this blokes done  or is it just clicking for us now 

obviously a turn around in results or performances is the one I get that. my point being do we know if this has been a factor of the recent improvement or is it coincidental 

These things are notoriously difficult to measure. We start winning when a sports psychologist is appointed, Luongo returns, we’ve settled on a system and the players are starting to gel. Which one is responsible? The answer is of course all of them. But which has contributed and which is coincidental is very hard to quantify. 

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, fpowl said:

How long as he been at the club? did I dream Moore brought one in a month or so ago

I think the article was published recently, but in it it's stated that the sports psychologist had been with us since the summer.

4 hours ago, fpowl said:

Nope

Injuries to key defenders has forced Moore to play attacking football and drop the tippy tappy rubbish from the back.

Improvement is from the combination of small gains that in total add up to a substantial benefit to the club. 

Psychology is a major part of any sport. How we analyse the effectiveness of the person in the job is very difficult to determine. There is so many different things that are going to effect on results. I sure there is no scientific evidence that you can use to support how much the psychology is helping or not. 

Training and tactics is probably very similar at all clubs. The manager is most effective in getting good results by doing psychological things that make players feel confident happy and important to the team. All the best managers could do this with players. Ron Atkinson comes to mind as someone very good at getting best from players by saying what they wanted to hear

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, fpowl said:

Was it Ron Atkinson who used to put another man up front when he got a man sent off 

brilliant 

Never heard that before, but it's a mad genius of an idea.

If you're a man down the chances are you're going to lose.

So why not do the opposite of what everyone is expecting you to do, after all you've not much to lose.

I'm sure though if there were any stats on this they might not look too good.

2 hours ago, Willie Henderson said:

Never heard that before, but it's a mad genius of an idea.

If you're a man down the chances are you're going to lose.

So why not do the opposite of what everyone is expecting you to do, after all you've not much to lose.

I'm sure though if there were any stats on this they might not look too good.

Think the idea was that the opposition always goes more attacking so throwing an extra body up top gave them something to think about and they had to keep players back 

if you think about it one big ball out of defence to three up top can cause all kinds of problems back in the day 

like you say mad genius 

• Like 1

On 25/11/2021 at 09:43, Blatter said:

Pretty sure the return of Luongo and the regular selection of Corbeanu is much more likely the reason for recent results.

Hold your horses, he's played 130 minutes across two games since September.

Luongo is a very good player at this level, but to say that 130 minutes in two fixtures and he is therefore heavily responsible for an upturn in form across the last half a dozen games or so is a bit... much... isn't it?

9 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Hold your horses, he's played 130 minutes across two games since September.

Luongo is a very good player at this level, but to say that 130 minutes in two fixtures and he is therefore heavily responsible for an upturn in form across the last half a dozen games or so is a bit... much... isn't it?

You wouldn’t be a certain sport psychologist working for Sheffield Wednesday by any chance would you? Good luck with the studies, hope you qualify soon.

On 25/11/2021 at 15:06, hirstys_achilles said:

Improvement is from the combination of small gains that in total add up to a substantial benefit to the club. 

Psychology is a major part of any sport. How we analyse the effectiveness of the person in the job is very difficult to determine. There is so many different things that are going to effect on results. I sure there is no scientific evidence that you can use to support how much the psychology is helping or not. 

Training and tactics is probably very similar at all clubs. The manager is most effective in getting good results by doing psychological things that make players feel confident happy and important to the team. All the best managers could do this with players. Ron Atkinson comes to mind as someone very good at getting best from players by saying what they wanted to hear

One of the measurables is results, surely?

Sport England will typically measure medals at Olympic, World and European competition to determine how much support is given to governing bodies. Currently, most sports (not football) are working on four year funding cycles on that premise.

However, you are bang on about percentages. Small changed in behaviour, fitness, skill, approach, etc... and even comfort (i.e. I know first hand of one set of athletes who used to travel with their own pillows to help get a good night's sleep) add up to a lot in the final reckoning. A good coach will be able to find those percentage points and manage them accordingly.

• Like 1